That old Pattaya question again...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was referring to actual instructors not OW students. As a teacher, I know what it is like to work with people, how can I best say it, not prepared very well for the job. Of course participants in the zero to hero programs could be biased. If you put a lot of time, money and effort into something it is not easy for most to be truly critical of themselves for the fear of looking bad (i.e. cognitive dissonance) to yourself. As the forum is anonymous maybe some good can come about in this type of discussion. Not self promotion of a business, but real voices from the trenches.

I think the point that Stephen was making was simply that it doesn't really matter what kind of training you receive, simple OW or Instructor, if it's all from the same place and you have nothing to compare it to it's hard to judge how good it is or isn't.

It seems to me that anyone who followed a "zero to hero" program from ANY place, would not really know how that fitted in with the standards of instruction from elsewhere. Once you've done courses in several places that obviously changes.

On the other hand, it's always interesting to hear how people feel about how they were taught. As a teacher myself I'm also most interested in any feedback I get. :D

Kim,

I agree completely. Although an organization may be very good, having variety is key for success. This seems to go with all instructional type programs.

AZ

Are there any honest stories from Zero to Heros about how well prepared they were for the job?

Perhaps these sorts of Heros don't read the board. I am sure some must, but this goes back to my previous point. Some individuals would be good DMs or instructors whether going through a Zero to Hero program or taking several years to complete it. The prerequisite skills or type of learner a candidate is are vital in determining who can succeed in these programs. These skills include a thirst for knowledge outside of your training with an instructor. Those in the Zero to Hero programs not seeking to learn outside of the confines of their training would not likely be good at that trade. It would be true for anyone seeking to be a pro regardless of how they were trained. I don't think we should bash the program, but rather realize it can work well for the right type of learner. Again, any Zero to Heros wishing to comment?

Kim brings up an excellent point that variety of training (location and instructors) may also be key.

AZ

"Are there any honest stories from Zero to Heros about how well prepared they were for the job?

Perhaps these sorts of Heros don't read the board..."

I do read the boards and have been following this thread, though mainly I just lurk I rarely post!

I am what you would term a zero to hero instructor, trained with Aquanauts, so I will give you my point of view.

I first went to Aquanauts as a non diver, I had big plans, was going to join the Fire Brigade but I had a gap before I could start my training, so I decided I fancied learning to dive and getting a qualification out of it. So I spent 4 months doing my OW-DM course. I was very impressed by the way that Aquanaust handled me and guided me through the course, and diving did change my life. The size of the internship meant that I was the only one just going to DM everyone else was going all the way to OWSI, and I watched my friends each month I was there blow away their IE's. As a result I decided that I would go home and make the money to do my OWSI.

When I went back about 8 months later I decided that I wanted to get as much experience as possible I had done a bit back home asssisting and a few dives to keep my hand in, so I asked for a further 4 months to do my DM-OWSI. Over these four months I was treated with the exact same professionalism as the first time I was there.

There were weekly skill circuits, to practise the 20 skills, and also rescue training practice. There were courses everyday to assist on, so you can see how courses are taught "in the real world" so to speak.

When it came to the IDC it was hard, they did set the bar very high, and expected alot out of you, but because of all the practice we had done prior to it the IDC it all came good - when it came to the IE, it was stressful, but a breeze really. That bar they set during the IDC was waaaaaaaaay higher was the reason why it seemed so easy!

I think what some people dont understand about the zero to hero program is that because of the environment you live in the same apartment block as your fellow interns, you all eat at the same restruant most nights, it means that the learning isnt over when you step off the boat, you learn as long as you stay at the table with your buddies! You live, eat, sleep, and breathe diving for 6 months or more in some cases.

Overall you get out of the program what you put into it, you have to work hard but it pays off when you get to the IE, I thought I couldnt have been any better prepared for that exam which is why Bob offers the guarantee. If you pass your IDC with Aquanats you will pass your IE barring a serious case of nervy brainfartishness!

I think I've written a bit of an essay but I hope that answers some of your questions. Anymore feel free to PM and I will give you a personal response

Safe and happy diving!
Freds :coffee:

My experience with the zero to hero's is when they are at the DM stage. I generally get buddied up w/ one. (This is not Pattaya specific, but more SE Asia), they are generally excited about what they are doing and helpful. The downside is they always run out of air before I do, as opposed to DM's that have been working every day for 5+ years, they always have a bit more in the tank at the end of the dive than I do. The other thing I have noticed about SE Asia is there's an attitude of we're better than anyone else <insert reason here>, and there's a tendancy to point out what they consider everyone else is doing wrong. What they do well is preparing their staff for the exams, keeping the costs down and providing an intensive scheme that seems to work. The downside is that the in the water bouyancy control, and air consumption rates when they are done really aren't what I expect from "qualified" DM's or instructors. I know I'll get flamed by a bunch of organizations that will say "well that cause you haven't sen us!" but I've done a fair amount of diving across SE Asia as I live there part time and thats been my experience.

The other thing I have noticed about SE Asia is there's an attitude of we're better than anyone else <insert reason here>, and there's a tendancy to point out what they consider everyone else is doing wrong.
Don't think that is typically SE Asia but human in general.

How prepared the 'zero to hero' instructors are for real life is of course very difficult to answer, because it depends on a lot of factors. But the same question can be asked for a lot of new instructors.

Quality of training, variety in instructors and environment is IMO very important. Unfortunately these programmes don't offer that, which is one of the reasons I don't like them.

And of course you can not compare any DMT with experienced DM's/Instructors, whatever program they have followed.

I know from personal experience as a dive instructor who has become a "Zero to Hero" within 6 months - it is a touch of a controversial topic among some the people in the diving community.

"Zero to Hero" dive programs are not all created equal. And also you have to remember as with everything in life, - you get only what you are willing to put in it yourself.

There is nothing to be gained by me sounding like a advertisement for my dive school, but the amount of intensity and focus they gave me to prepare for my exams both academically, and in confined water & open water made this "Zero to Hero" achievement possible for me.

When you choose a dive school, in my opinion, - look for small instructor to student ratios, and to the background and levels of the instructors employed there. Where I attended my program there was a Master Instructor and two IDC Course Directors, both of them having extensive lists achievements in recreational diving, and tech. diving.

As a dive instructor myself, I often do get questioned about how long I have been diving. And when it is known I achieved my Open Water License in late January 2007, and earned my Open Water Instructor Certification in August 2007 there yet to have been is been anyone overly enthused to this fact alone...

Then when I add that have taught swim classes, worked with the Special Olympic athletes, have lifeguard certifications from over 15 years ago, and trained as an endurance swimmer with a swim team for many years...- then the person asking me the question sees that me being a dive instructor has been a progression on the foundation of skills I had been building for a many years.

Myself perhaps being no exception, it seems that often a good deal of scuba dive instructor divers come from a diversity of other sport backgrounds. I have met everything from a mountain climbing instructor , to several sky diver enthusiasts, and even a hot air balloon pilot - coming to study for professional level diving certifications, starting near to the bottom of the ladder of PADI and reaching high professional ratings in diving. And it is these aptitudes and skills from other sports, as well as a unique combination of life's interests that all combine together and offer experience that people draw upon when they themselves become scuba diver instructors.

I completely understand and respect where anyone who questions - "Zero to Hero" programs. It is so easy to see where they are coming from!! But there is other considerations to reflect on other than just the date someone earned their open water certificate.

I am daily in the front line of diving dealing with a variety of unpredictable scenarios, because each student and client comes with their own unique selves. I have 300 logged dives and consider each of them a learning opportunity. I do feel prepared to fulfil my job as a dive instructor, as I have a solid training foundation base to keep building my daily experience of instructing and diving upon..

And 8 months after I earned my Open Water Diving License I am continuing to earn certs towards my MSDT while studying for my Closed Circuit Rebreather theory exam. As much as I want to teach, I equally want to continue learning more about diving. This will help me further to become a better scuba diver instructor, and have much more to offer my students as I myself continue my own diving education..

A "Zero to Hero" internship program at a dive school does not make you a licenced dive instructor.

PADI Head office sends their officials to do that, and have normally a 3 day unbiased assessment of prospective Dive Instructors Candidates. There is written exams, classroom presentations to be written and presented by you, confined pool evaluations, and finally an open water assessments to be conducted.

Only PADI makes a OWSI - Open Water Scuba Diver Instructor, not a dive school in it's self. This ensures even more of the high consistent standards in potential dive instructors are being met before they achieve their PADI OWSI teaching status licence.

So with an evaluation like that from PADI - whether a person went from a "Zero to Hero", or was already a seasoned diver prior, you earn your teaching certification license the exactly the same way. PADI decides if you are prepared to take on your Instructor teaching status responsibilities.

Any questions at all please know you are also very welcome to Private Message me.

Respectfully
Laura

I know from personal experience as a dive instructor who has become a "Zero to Hero" within 6 months - it is a touch of a controversial topic among some the people in the diving community.

"Zero to Hero" dive programs are not all created equal. And also you have to remember as with everything in life, - you get only what you are willing to put in it yourself.

There is nothing to be gained by me sounding like a advertisement for my dive school, but the amount of intensity and focus they gave me to prepare for my exams both academically, and in confined water & open water made this "Zero to Hero" achievement possible for me.

When you choose a dive school, in my opinion, - look for small instructor to student ratios, and to the background and levels of the instructors employed there. Where I attended my program there was a Master Instructor and two IDC Course Directors, both of them having extensive lists achievements in recreational diving, and tech. diving.

As a dive instructor myself, I often do get questioned about how long I have been diving. And when it is known I achieved my Open Water License in late January 2007, and earned my Open Water Instructor Certification in August 2007 there yet to have been is been anyone overly enthused to this fact alone...

Then when I add that have taught swim classes, worked with the Special Olympic athletes, have lifeguard certifications from over 15 years ago, and trained as an endurance swimmer with a swim team for many years...- then the person asking me the question sees that me being a dive instructor has been a progression on the foundation of skills I had been building for a many years.

Myself perhaps being no exception, it seems that often a good deal of scuba dive instructor divers come from a diversity of other sport backgrounds. I have met everything from a mountain climbing instructor , to several sky diver enthusiasts, and even a hot air balloon pilot - coming to study for professional level diving certifications, starting near to the bottom of the ladder of PADI and reaching high professional ratings in diving. And it is these aptitudes and skills from other sports, as well as a unique combination of life's interests that all combine together and offer experience that people draw upon when they themselves become scuba diver instructors.

I completely understand and respect where anyone who questions - "Zero to Hero" programs. It is so easy to see where they are coming from!! But there is other considerations to reflect on other than just the date someone earned their open water certificate.

I am daily in the front line of diving dealing with a variety of unpredictable scenarios, because each student and client comes with their own unique selves. I have 300 logged dives and consider each of them a learning opportunity. I do feel prepared to fulfil my job as a dive instructor, as I have a solid training foundation base to keep building my daily experience of instructing and diving upon..

And 8 months after I earned my Open Water Diving License I am continuing to earn certs towards my MSDT while studying for my Closed Circuit Rebreather theory exam. As much as I want to teach, I equally want to continue learning more about diving. This will help me further to become a better scuba diver instructor, and have much more to offer my students as I myself continue my own diving education..

A "Zero to Hero" internship program at a dive school does not make you a licenced dive instructor.

PADI Head office sends their officials to do that, and have normally a 3 day unbiased assessment of prospective Dive Instructors Candidates. There is written exams, classroom presentations to be written and presented by you, confined pool evaluations, and finally an open water assessments to be conducted.

Only PADI makes a OWSI - Open Water Scuba Diver Instructor, not a dive school in it's self. This ensures even more of the high consistent standards in potential dive instructors are being met before they achieve their PADI OWSI teaching status licence.

So with an evaluation like that from PADI - whether a person went from a "Zero to Hero", or was already a seasoned diver prior, you earn your teaching certification license the exactly the same way. PADI decides if you are prepared to take on your Instructor teaching status responsibilities.

Any questions at all please know you are also very welcome to Private Message me.

Respectfully
Laura

After living in Pattaya for 3 years I would recommend Mermaids then Aquanauts. But that said I would avoid Pattaya all together. If I had it to do over again I would not go back to Pattaya. Its not the nicest place to be or a good example of Thailand. Its very touristy, dirty, and full of prostitutes. It can be fun for a day or two but I would not live there again. Its a good place to go in the monsoon season when diving in the south has ceased. But the south offers much better diving as well as being a nicer part of the country.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom