Shark bites diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

makomike

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Does anyone know when (or if) the last time a shark bit a scuba diver while under water around Maui or anywhere around the Hawaiian chain? Mostly interested around Maui. Mahalo

I've asked that question before - Anybody know of a shark attack EVER on a scuba diver in Hawaii?
I'm still waiting .................
Well if you wait in the night waters north of Kaneohe with a t-bar loaded with fish and get your arm bit off at the shoulder, you'll be the second diver to get eaten in that spot. He was alive at the time - the Boston Whaler he was diving off had rolled in a swell due to bad positioning when the guys set the anchor, and I guess he didn't want to drop the bar. No bc - just a Hawaiian harness for fast tank changes.
This was early '90's. HFD found the torso inshore of Rabbit Island and id'ed Roy from a surgical scar on his knee. The rescue divers were circled by a few smaller tigers who stayed away while they did the recovery.
More surfers seemed to get hit by tigers - every break around O'ahu had someone sooner of later get hit. I always kept at least one guy seaward of me as the sun was setting on the North Shore.
Answer your question?

OK, I finally dug through my box of books to find Sharks of Hawaii; Their Biology and Cultural Signifigance, Leighton Taylor, '93 University of Hawaii Press. This book includes the Register of Shark Attacks in the Hawaiian Islands, 1779-1992, by George Balazs (NMFS turtle dude).

Going back from '92, the first reported scuba shark attack is Feb 17, '90. Roy Tanaka failed to return with his partner from spearing parrotfish (200 yds off shore, 40fsw), 9:30 pm. 22' boat nearby had overturned a short time earlier after being broadsided by a wave. His tank, backpack, light and mask were found on the bottom but not retrieved. Body with amputated right arm sighted by helicopter 3 pm the next day between Makai Pier and Rabbit Island. Large TS consumed all but torso before retrieval. (Tom's story above)

Next; Oct 14, '89, Ray Mehl, Jr., abruptly disappeared while diving as a novice with his partner (750 yds off shore, 27fsw) near the discharge pipe at Kahe Point (e-beach). Unusual behavior exhibited by parrotfish just before disappearance. Time of event was 4:30 pm, 25-30 foot vis. Body located the next morning 200' to the west, large TS consumed the remains before recovery.

May 24, '81, Roger Garletts went missing while scuba diving off Ha'ena Beach Park (North Shore Kaua'i). Depth 60-80', only scuba gear recovered, including shredded wet suit bearing numerous tooth marks. Victim reportedly spearfishing in murky, choppy water.

In '76, off Lahaina, Danson Nakaima apparently passed out while black coral diving (180fsw). About 30 large sharks seen near partially devoured remains. Earlier in '76, Stephen Powell went missing while scuba diving near Koloa (Kaua'i), lower remains of body recovered.

I got that book brand new when it came out. I was free diving extensively off the North Shore of Kaua'i at the time and did extensive research into shark attacks that first couple years in the Islands. There was another book I read around then that seemed to indicate non-spearfishing and non-dead already attacks on scuba divers were a couple white tip reef sharks and one hammerhead biting forearms of photographers who cornered them for pictures.

George would be the one to contact for more recent data, still with NMFS on Oahu.

Mahalo halemano. Similar to the link I posted, but your info much more complete and definately more trusted. Thanks also for the effort in typing out all the info. So far what we have gathered... Maui it has been since 1976 and he was belived to have died BEFORE "partailly devoured".

Maybe i will try to contact Mr. Balazs(turtle dude) to see if there is any more recent for Maui specifically. Not that it matters i suppose. Sharks can have a large area they roam.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom