Tritan's Trumpet Migration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure wouldn't mind if there was a "no touch" rule...especially for some of the DM's on the island. Although we haven't been "treated" to diving with anyone who abused the marine life, sure have heard a lot of stories that ticked me off.

Our OW instructor (who was excellent) was very clear about not touching marine life, so that's something we've always adhered to.

Some thoughts:

Kidspot: Regarding the original topic, Tritons Trumpets are usually solitary, but helmet shells often congregate in groups just as you described. That's probably what she was thinking of.

MakoMike: I've heard from someone at DLNR that there was a minor population bloom of CoTs in the '70s, and the state tried eradicating them with chemical injections. I don't think it worked.

DiveBuddySean: "Invasive" does not necessarily mean that a species is introduced. A species can be considered invasive if it causes problems in its native range, like the CoT population explosions in Australia and the West Pacific. Crown of Thorns, in their present numbers, are a natural part of Hawaii's reefs and killing them is really hypocritical if you're trying to preserve your dive sites.

Halemano: Are you sure that Triton's Trumpets have a significant effect on CoT numbers? I can't quote the source, but I've read that trumpets consume on average 3 large starfish per month (not all of which are CoTs). They may have a minor impact on everyday CoT abundance, but it's certainly not enough to control a major population bloom. Personally, I feel that triton's trumpets are rare enough that they should be left on the reef for their own sake, but I don't think it's fair to blame shell collectors for CoT predation.

Some thoughts:

DiveBuddySean: "Invasive" does not necessarily mean that a species is introduced. A species can be considered invasive if it causes problems in its native range, like the CoT population explosions in Australia and the West Pacific. Crown of Thorns, in their present numbers, are a natural part of Hawaii's reefs and killing them is really hypocritical if you're trying to preserve your dive sites.

Here's a paper from a few PHDs:

"Beginning about 1963 the COTS population increased enormously on Australia's Great Barrier Reef. The population explosion was attributed to the decimation of its chief predator, a large marine snail, the Pacific triton, by shell collectors. Thereafter, the starfish multiplied throughout the southern Pacific, hitting Hawaii about 1970, destroying the coral reefs and islands (Tellus Consultants Ltd.). Besides the Giant Triton, the COTS have no other predators as an adult."

Coral Reefs and the Crown-of-Thorns Starfish (Final)

Personally I don't kill anything on the reef. I don't know where I said I kill the COT's... I only take photos...and leave only bubbles!

Sean

Someone told me they(the county?) used to hire a team to kill the COT like they do on the GBR. They said there used to be alot more around. Anyone know if that is true?
This is the only page I could find with regard to action being taken in Hawaii waters('02), and it was in the North West Islands. Another page I read indicated the toxin used to kill the CoT's was made from their own digestive toxin and had to be injected into every arm to be successful.
That sounds like something (given that it seems to have been more effective on the tourist side of the island) that was more driven by the desire to not get stung... perhaps they'll be killing urchins next? :)
AFAIK, there has never been any action taken because of the sting. If you have a valid source for this riduculous line of reasoning please show it. The only human interventions I can find were concerned only with coral destruction.

Halemano: Are you sure that Triton's Trumpets have a significant effect on CoT numbers? I can't quote the source, but I've read that trumpets consume on average 3 large starfish per month (not all of which are CoTs). They may have a minor impact on everyday CoT abundance, but it's certainly not enough to control a major population bloom. Personally, I feel that triton's trumpets are rare enough that they should be left on the reef for their own sake, but I don't think it's fair to blame shell collectors for CoT predation.
To a certain extent, KrisB was right and the bigger issue of negative human impact on the marine eco-system is directly related to most invasive CoT events. I appologize in advance for this long post but It seems that some here do not follow the links.
tellusconsultants:
I organized a survey of the north Pacific from Hawaii to Palau, and the Northern Marianas Islands to Kapingimarangi. The expedition was supported by the U.S. Department of the Interior and managed by Westighouse Ocean Research Laboratories. I headed a team of 69 diver/scientists that were divided into groups of 10 and sent out to survey conditions in as many locations as possible.

We found other infestations of crown of thorns starfish in different stages of development in many island areas - usually in close proximity to villages or urban areas. There was no "common denominator" to clarify the cause of the population blooms. Instead, the picture that emerged was that blooms are likely to occur where the reefs are stressed. And the reefs of the world are stressed by many different causes.

And then there is the triton. The beautiful triton.

Bob Endean said, right away, that he thought that the cause of the starfish explosion was because the tritons were overcollected. Other biologists, including me, thought this unlikely. But now, after investigating the infestations nearly 30 years, I think Bob was right after all. Or partly right. Certainly the tritons are the major predator on the starfish. And they are overcollected, even endangered or locally extinct, in most areas of the Pacific.

There may be many contributing causes of the infestations. Like cancer. But the plight of the triton is symmetrically balanced with the escalation of starfish numbers.

Everybody loves the triton. Or at least they love its shell. People make horns, bookends, door stops, or just decorations of these glorious shells. They sell for as much as $100 for a nice one, sometimes more. Virtually every single island diver, man, woman or child, grabs every single triton they see. A multitude of recreational and professional skin and SCUBA divers grab every one, regardless of size, sometimes just happening across one, sometimes avidly seeking them out.

Tritons normally come out to feed at night. Just as the Crown of Thorns normally feeds at night. These days, most island spear fishers also go out at night and underwater flashlights are found in the smallest island village stores.

They are not hard to see, either. Even small tritons stand out sharply against the background of a coral reef. Glorious colors and graceful shape.

In Florida, at a "Shell Factory" I found thousands of tritons from all over the Pacific. From tiny little ones only as long as my thumb to big ones the size of my forearm.
Now this is an old research paper and he is not talking about Hawaiian Islanders per say. There have been major gains in responsible diving practices and some of the authors comments were probably somewhat exagerated even back in the day. Follow the link for the whole page.
tellusconsultants:
Scientists have spent millions of dollars investigating the Crown of Thorns.

The vast amount of scientific research on the crown of thorns over the past 30 years has been very interesting. Scientists are now spending more millions investigating coral bleaching, and a host of coral diseases that flourish in the wake of human abuse of the coral reefs.

As science learns more about the control systems that regulate the population explosions of the crown of thorns, the concensus is finally showing that somehow, perhaps in many synergistic combinations, human abuse of the coral reef ecosystem is behind the problem. Or at least making it worse. A conclusion reached 30 years ago but gradually gaining acceptance.

30 years ago the Queensland government did it's best to sand bag the whole problem. I suspect, the politicians realized something right away. Something the scientists have still not thought of, even though it is pretty obvious.

The control system that is out of wack is larger than the control web in the oceans.

The problem is not the triton, it is the society that collects the triton, killing them because people adore their beauty. Focus on that. How do you reconfigure that control system?

Ignorant shell collectors collect live TT's! Informed shell collectors do not! TT's are the only predator of adult CoT's in Hawaii. If there is an invasive bloom, we will need every TT and more. Recommending or condoning collection of live TT's is more than ignorant!

Going through some older photos and found these. Taken july 2007 at molo back wall. I believe it is eating a Difficult Sea Cucumber.?

Attachments

• IMG_3706.jpg
    IMG_3706.jpg
    384.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3707.jpg
    IMG_3707.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 34
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom