cold vs warm water diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ha-ha Dannobee... i thought that i was the only one who noticed that.
In mexico DM says"how many dives "
i say "uh-20" (feeling silly)
he says "where"
i say "uh-Monterey"
he says "perfect, you're good to go"

OP-i'm so glad our local diving is cold,surgy and GREAT! i love them both, but warm water takes so much less TIME. and bouyancy is simple! but i do love the gear associated with cold water, it's like getting into a suit of armor.. i'll keep both!

As already said one person will say this the other that...

I like the water that is closest... since this is were I'll do the majority of my dives.

A typical year will be:

Winter: december-february Typically water temps of about 40 to 50 ° F. Mostly fresh water quary diving with good to sometimes very good vis (no plantlife). Not alot of fish... only big bass and sometimes pike. I like the fact that in my club a small group of friends dives year round. So the atmosphere is more intimate... after the dive everybody huddles together in the Pub to drink some pints...

Spring: march-may. Temp from 50 to 60 °F. Diving again in salt water (estuary). Abundance of life with some migratory seasonal life showing up (cuttlefish, etc). Unfortunately this peak in life is accompanied with bad vis (spawning).

Summer: June-Sept. 60 to 70 ° F. Vis again better, still lots of life... typically doing 3-5 dives a week... dive... then bbq.... dive again. Also northsea wreckdives. Alot of people diving... some divespots much to crowded...

Autumn: Oct-Nov. Temp going back down... people diving also... everything seeks shelter for the upcomming winter... you can realy feel the life move away or die down from week to week.

Do I love tropical diving... of course who wouldn't. But having lived in a tropical place with different seasons (rain-dry vs summer-winter) I have to say eventually I started missing those seasons. As if they are ingrained in my subconscious. I hate autumn, when everthing gets dark and moody again... I love springs when everything gets back to live... But I mostly love the change... and that also applies to seasonal diving... I think that tropical diving would become much of the same after some time.

So I believe were I live... I've got everything... warm to cold water.. (if you consider 70°F warm)... lots of life... only complaintis visibility: Max vis on a very good day about 25 feet. Normal vis about 15 feet.

That was quite a dive.....

I wasn't talking about you. I said "very skilled" :dork2:

OK, ok, I was talking about Blitz :wink:

In all seriousness, I tend to remember more dives that were "interesting". Although there was that time when we did a night dive in December and we were looking at the moon from 20 ft. That was amazing. Crystal clear water ... hmmm peaceful!

Warm water rules. That's why I don't dive as much here in December thru March. :D

Hank: I have to ask: What's the water temp in Belize between December & March?

Hank: I have to ask: What's the water temp in Belize between December & March?

Wrong thread ... you're supposed to ask that one over in the Dead Horses discussion ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Most of my diving has been in the chilly waters here off So Cal. The only warm water diving I've done was in Hawaii (where the waters are cooler than most other "tropical destinations"). The water was 80 degrees at 60 feet. Very nice.

But the best dive I've done yet was here in CA, off Santa Barbara island (Sea Lion dive) in 57 degree waters. Cold? Yes. Poor vis? Yes. But more fun than I could shake a reg at! :D

Wrong thread ... you're supposed to ask that one over in the Dead Horses discussion ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I must have missed that memo :(

:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom