long term planning to your coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wscdive

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
East coast dive instructor here planning a cross-country trip with my non-diving (so far) wife next september. We plan to do alot of biking(pedaling) on the way out and I'll dive wherever I can. We plan to spend a week somewhere on the pacific coast, probably hitting it around oregon/washington border. I am cave/trimix/wreck trained and basically will dive anywhere/anytime. Anyone have any suggestions on an area that would be good to set up camp for a week to get some good pacific dives in? We will probably wander as far south as san fransico before turning back east. (obviously we are in the beginning stages of planning!!)

The Hood Canal area has some nice camping and easy access to diving. Hood Canal is actually a Fjord with some really nice shore diving. The Northern/Central Oregon Coast has great camping but the diving from shore can be a challenge.

Keep us posted on your plans and I am sure there are several of us that can help you out.
K

I have said it before and I'll ay it again-crescent city can be great if you can get a boat.

Salt Creek, about 15 miles west of Port Angeles (WA). Nice campground, real nice diving ... the entry can be a little dicey if the swells are up, but otherwise an awesome place to dive. Also, it's within an hour's drive of world-class diving in Neah Bay. Starting next year, Porthole Charters will be running a boat out of that area from July to September. If you want just about the best diving our area has to offer, arrange to go diving on it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If your looking for a good area to soak up what the PNW has to offer both above and below the water, this would be my list.

First Im guess'en your coming from the Seattle area so this is what I would do.

Head to Hood canal, there are a great many of shore dives that offer easy divng with a good chance of seeing wolf eels and octo's. There are plenty of camping areas and other above water attractions. There is plenty of dive shops along the way and if you are there in the right season you can get you limit with crabs if you desire.

From there you could head north up the pennisula to the Neah bay area, along the way you will see some of the greatest scenery, if the clouds part. Along the way you could dive Lake Crecent and soak up some 100' plus of vis, a neat spot to do some deep dives. You metioned that you were into wreck's, if you get a chance and a boat dive the Diamond Knot, one of the best shipwrecks we have to offer that is at a reasonable depth, 140 or so. That would be west of Port Angeles heading out to Neah bay.

The next shore diving areas that I would reccomend would be in a little town called Sekiu. There is a nice jetty and kelp forrest you can dive witch offers a great diverse dive that can keep you entertained all day. There is also tank fills, camping, lodging in town, about 50 people. There are also nice shore dives at salt creek and snow creek. If you can get a charter or a boat there is some awsome diving west of these sites around cape flattery.

once you head south again closer and into Oregon Ive found shore diving gets a little spoty. There are shore dives in Newport, Florence, and Winchester Bay but I would rather rent a quad and have fun on the sand dunes or pick up a fishing rod. Closer to California there is some great dives in Port Orford but they are all boat dives.

Good luck, if you want more site specific information id be happy to oblige, Im sure others would also have good info

Jumbo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom