BP/W in Taiwan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Graham15

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I live in Taiwan and am interested in getting a BPW but haven't been able to locate any dive shops that stock them. I'm hesitant to order something online without giving it a try first. If you know where I can try some on or have any suggestions I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance
Graham

I live in Taiwan and am interested in getting a BPW but haven't been able to locate any dive shops that stock them. I'm hesitant to order something online without giving it a try first. If you know where I can try some on or have any suggestions I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance
Graham

Graham,

I can understand your reluctance to order something you haven't tried, but let me try to lessen your concerns.

There are very few reports of people trying a BP&W, and then reverting to a conventional BC.

Many of our users are newer divers without nearby BP&W users to mentor them, and they still manage to make a BP&W work. Assemble it, adjust it, and go dive it. Remember a BP&W is really just a type of modular BC.

I'd be happy to make a recommendation as to plate type and size, and wing capacity for your application.

I need to know what you are using for an exposure suit, BC, tanks, total ballast, and your height.

Tobin

I ordered one without diving or seeing it live ever (at least the one I ordered), if this helps.

Very satisfied, wanted to burn my old jacket BC after trying it. :)

Graham

Where in Taiwan are you? There's a shop in Taipei that carries Halcyon BP and wings.

Many of our users are newer divers without nearby BP&W users to mentor them, and they still manage to make a BP&W work. Assemble it, adjust it, and go dive it.
I myself was one of those (i.e. everything I learned about my rig I learned from the Internet). It was mostly straightforward, but I ended up finding several web pages from which to supplement my knowledge.

One of my buddies just finished another class, and in the same class was a guy who was looking to upgrade. He ended up going with a DSS rig. (By the way, Tobin, you really impressed him with your customer service. Now, where have I heard that before? :D) With the information that comes with the rig and the few links I sent along to supplement it, he had no problems assembling it all. (Okay, to be perfectly honest, I rethreaded his buckle for him, but I can take some photos or video of exactly how to do it with the buckles that come with the nice DSS hog harness.)

It helps to have someone else nearby, but it's certainly not necessary. (His learning curve was probably a bit shorter than mine, but it's not like I wasn't having a great time. He just got to skip some of the figuring-it-out steps. :biggrin:)

Where in Taiwan are you? There's a shop in Taipei that carries Halcyon BP and wings.

I'm in Kaohsiung but would be willing to make the trip up to taipei. Where is the shop?
Thanks

Graham,

I can understand your reluctance to order something you haven't tried, but let me try to lessen your concerns.

There are very few reports of people trying a BP&W, and then reverting to a conventional BC.

Many of our users are newer divers without nearby BP&W users to mentor them, and they still manage to make a BP&W work. Assemble it, adjust it, and go dive it. Remember a BP&W is really just a type of modular BC.

I'd be happy to make a recommendation as to plate type and size, and wing capacity for your application.

I need to know what you are using for an exposure suit, BC, tanks, total ballast, and your height.

Tobin

Tobin: Thanks for the quick reply. I'd really appreciate your advice. I am 6ft 1 inch tall, 190lbs. I wear a 3mm wetsuit and dive with 12-13 lbs. I've been using a rental medium IST jacket bc. I dive with a single tank. If you need any more info let me know. Thanks
Graham

Tobin: Thanks for the quick reply. I'd really appreciate your advice. I am 6ft 1 inch tall, 190lbs. I wear a 3mm wetsuit and dive with 12-13 lbs. I've been using a rental medium IST jacket bc. I dive with a single tank. If you need any more info let me know. Thanks
Graham

Graham,

What type of tank? Steel or AL, size etc.

Tobin

You can also take a short hop to Okinawa and try one of our rental BP/W rigs out. A short weekend trip- direct flight is only 1 hour. We stock both Dive Rite and DSS rigs here. Our lead Japanese instructor picked up a DSS rig while at DEMA this year and she loves it. We also have DSS wings on our rental doubles rigs.

Doug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom