Diving near Melbourne, Fl.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dschulte

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
A good friend of mine is coming home for the holidays from Kuwait and we would like to catch a dive or two. Any recommendations for sites off of Melbourne, Fl. that would make a good day charter. I have checked out some local dive operations web pages and found sites like the Tortuga, Tanks, Orion and Tacoma, but no information beyond depth. We are both experienced divers.

I look forward to your recommendations.

:monkeydan

Unless you want to do some chilly water hunting with poor visibility I’d be tempted to head south to West Palm or Jupiter rather than diving up around the Cape. It might change again in the next couple days, but some friends were saying the only thing that made the dives here worthwhile were huge flounder.

A good friend of mine is coming home for the holidays from Kuwait and we would like to catch a dive or two. Any recommendations for sites off of Melbourne, Fl. that would make a good day charter. I have checked out some local dive operations web pages and found sites like the Tortuga, Tanks, Orion and Tacoma, but no information beyond depth. We are both experienced divers.

I look forward to your recommendations.

:monkeydan

All of the sites you've mentioned are in Miami Beach. There are no dive charters I'm aware of running from St. Lucie Inlet, Fort Pierce Inlet, or Canaveral Inlet. Your closest charter operation to Melbourne is probably Sea Dogs in Daytona Beach or one of three or four running from Jupiter Inlet.

If you want to dive those wrecks in Miami, I can tell you more about those, I've dove them all.

As Brian has stated, there are no commercial charters out of the Sebastian or Port Canaveral Inlets yet. There is some beach diving south of Sebastian Inlet but the weather really has to co-operate for that to be of any value. As Bill stated, Jupiter will be your closest commercial boat, the drops are deeper and mostly gear toward hunting, but theres still alot of good stuff to see. The sites you mention in your post are well worth the drive to South Florida.

When exactly is your friend visiting?

ps: Hows the Savannah River this time of year?

Drive an hour or so south and hit Jupiter - the fact that there are not charters in the area tells you there is likely better diving elsewhere - Jupiter has some great diving and you will not be sorry.

I agree with Jupiter31. The crew in Jupiter is fantastic and they do everything they can to give you an enjoyable trip. They find out what your interests are (lobstering, turtles, sharks, sightseeing, reefs, you name it) and they try to accommodate everyone. I use them regularly and have never been disappointed. By the way, Ron, when are you coming up to dive again? ;-)

Thank you for all of the feedback, we are heading South!
:monkeydan`

I agree with Jupiter31. The crew in Jupiter is fantastic and they do everything they can to give you an enjoyable trip. They find out what your interests are (lobstering, turtles, sharks, sightseeing, reefs, you name it) and they try to accommodate everyone. I use them regularly and have never been disappointed. By the way, Ron, when are you coming up to dive again? ;-)
Hi - Soon, soon

The winds have been terrible - wanted to come up over Thanksgiving but 4 -6 put the kabosh on that - hope all's well with you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom