Reeling out and then reeling line back in?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know how you could effectively use a scooter to penetrate a wreck where there are alot of corridors, rooms, small spaces, etc...What is suggested is to anchor the line right inside the entrance point. You go several feet and wrap the line around something to form another quasi anchor, go a few feet more and do the same thing and repeat the process until you get to your destination. It is also a good idea to put some strobes or light sticks at a few points. If you have a silt out they won't help alot until it settles out some. When you leave you reverse the process. It's also a good idea to have a diver at a couple of points along the way.

There is also the school of thought relating to "progressive penetration." This is where you progress into the wreck a little at a time to get completely familiar with where you are. On subsequent dives you progress a little further. You end up so familiar with the wreck that you do not need a reel to penetrate. Places like subs where the spaces are very small, you will run the risk of the reel line getting you into an entanglement situation and progressive penetration may be the best way to go.

What is suggested is to anchor the line right inside the entrance point.

Should be anchor first point just outside, and then tie off just inside too.

There is also the school of thought relating to "progressive penetration." This is where you progress into the wreck a little at a time to get completely familiar with where you are. On subsequent dives you progress a little further. You end up so familiar with the wreck that you do not need a reel to penetrate. Places like subs where the spaces are very small, you will run the risk of the reel line getting you into an entanglement situation and progressive penetration may be the best way to go.

Interesting concept. I tried to get some viewpoints on this subject on another board after the recent Nanaimo tragedy but didn't get a lot of responses. I'd be interested in hearing from people on this board. I don't want to take away from the OP's question regarding scooters and reels inside wrecks though. I personally do not think there is any way to perform that combination safely or practically inside a wreck. (Northwest Dive Club :: View topic - Diver Death in Nanaimo-Wreck Safety )

Solitude Diver:
Should be anchor first point just outside, and then tie off just inside too.

Yeah...You could do it either way. Just Make the first tie near or at the entrance/exit point. The whole idea is to allow you to prevent alot of free line floating around and risk it getting caught on cables, debris, etc..., and to decrease the risk of the line breaking as well...

Interesting concept. I tried to get some viewpoints on this subject on another board after the recent Nanaimo tragedy but didn't get a lot of responses. I'd be interested in hearing from people on this board. I don't want to take away from the OP's question regarding scooters and reels inside wrecks though. I personally do not think there is any way to perform that combination safely or practically inside a wreck. (Northwest Dive Club :: View topic - Diver Death in Nanaimo-Wreck Safety )

Very sad anytime this happens. That's the thing about progressive penetration. I would venture a guess that most divers do not take the adequate time to do it as it is meant to be practiced...that is by doing ALOT of dives on the particular wreck...Another good point I read is the issue of redundancy...progressive penetration or reels, it is a good idea to carry extra gas in case you do have a silt out or entanglement, etc...It not only gives you some extra time but it will also keep the potential for panic at bay for awhile...One poster made the comment of using a combination of progressive penetration and using a reel. That's probably the best way to go about wreck penetrations...With progressive penetration, IMHO, it would be best to use a reel while learning the layout of the wreck before venturing inside without a reel.
It was definitely a sad story to read about. All diver deaths are. My condolences to the family.

I agree with Kev, the progressive penetration is subject to memory lapses often caused by narcosis. The only sure way out is with a line in place.

IMO--The only way to penetrate an underwater structure is with the combination of progressive/line penetration (the use of line and memory of route and surroundings). Always attach the line first outside the structure and then again just within the entry point. In terms of true wreck there is really no reason to bring in a DPV...stage the unit outside at your entry. I have seen were a few divers have run a DPV in artificial reefs that are vast in size with cut openings and cleared of obstacles.

I want to scooter the hanger deck of the Big O :d

But realistically I don't see or know anyone using DPVs inside wrecks, artificial or otherwise. Running down Burma Rd on the HMCS destroyers is a new one to me. I'm pretty sure I would not do that myself sans line.

I am an advocate of line, memorization (progressive penetration), and cookies helping to mark critical or salient features in any overhead environment.

Only on large wrecks can you scooter. I have always wanted to do the USS Saratoga with a scooter, come in off the stern right into the hanger deck, up through the center line elevator and off the bow, all the time running the video. You may be able to do the same with the O Boat, I don't know. There have been some good runs made on the Britannic and you do some in an intact hold of a large freighter , but all and all scooters should be left outside of a wreck.

For those of you who have not been in an older wreck that is collapsing, running a line without tie offs every 10-15 feet would not be wise. The line can slip between plates that you can not get between or get cut on sharp edges. So, you wind back up to a tie off, untie it, and then on to the next.

As for progressive penetration, it can really only be done after hundreds of dives from all vantage points on a few wrecks. A few of the NY guys could be dropped into the USS San Diego and would have no problem getting out. I have the same ability in the U-853, but you just can not do it after only a few or even 20 dives on any one wreck.

I'm sorry, I'm just not a big fan of progressive penetration period. Swimthroughs are one thing, but if it's a dark, scary hole, personally, I'm running line.

Exactly, this is what I learned, the last time. My buddy is a great fan of progressive, but I am sticking to line from now on.

Thanks for the feedback, Everybody. I appreciated all the remarks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom