Dishonest LDS ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't mistake dishonest for ignorant (or just plain stupid). My admittedly limited experiences with LDSs and comments on tech diving point to a general ignorance of the subject. Quite a lot of cave and wreck instructors will not allow split fins - mainly due to entanglement issues and the difficulty with some finning techniques. I would have guessed that most LDSs prefer splits due to the premium price they command. My local LDS spouts all kinds of potentially deadly advice on tech uses of equipment - they aren't liars - they are just uneducated.

I don't know what fins are appropriate for wreck and cave diving, but it seems to me that splits would stir up a ton of silt in a wreck. I know they do in OW if I get too close to the bottom.

Call me crazy, but if I'm right, that would make them the worst possible fins for wreck diving.

Correct???

Find another store - don't mess with those jokers anymore. It's common practice (unfortunately) to price the class really low and try to make up for it by overcharging for gear.

This sort of story runs through my head every time someone suggests that a new diver visit their LDS. There are good ones and bad ones - you take your chances unless you get a specific recommendation from someone who knows the shops in the region.

Rich

Your girlfriend should find another dive center. The employee who gave her that information sounds like an idiot.

He sounds like a regular Yarn Smith. How's about you pop down and see what other old toss you can get him to spin ? We all love a good story....

But seriously, have a great time when you get to the Caribbean.

Anyone who tells you split fins are only for wrecks or caves does not even know what side of the argument they are trying to come from.

I find it hard to imagine any shop worker is that ill informed.

Are you positive you heard them correctly?

I would be interested to know if the sales person was new and completely clueless and trying to make a sale. Or if it's someone BSing people new to diving to bag a sell. Either way, I would check out other LDSes.

On another note with this. I had an experience with an LDS that I frequent and bought most of my gear through. Some issues came up with some of the employees that was frustrating. It's a long story, but the gist of it was they had an elitist attitude and were argumentative. There were some other things that I'm not going into right now.

Anyway, the owner caught wind of some complaints and was VERY upset about what was going on and ask for me to talk to him about what happened and my experience. I met up with him and laid it all out on the table and he was pissed! He was very apologetic and has taken steps to rectify the issues.

He told me that he has been extremely busy and was unaware of what was going on when he wasn't there or on the floor until this came to light.

With that said. If this store is in your community and you do enjoy the product and want to see them succeed, I might suggest you setup a meeting with the owner of the store or take them out for coffee and let them know about your experience. Their response may be surprising as they may not have full knowledge to what is going on. You can tell pretty quick if they are in on it or not by their attitude and if they seem to be part of the problem, walk off and write them off! Another LDS in your area will treat you right.

Just my 2 psi

:zen:

A slightly different take...

Undoubtedly, the bit about the fins is BS designed to push a sale, but the more annoying thing to me is that he made some strange claims regarding the content of the course. Yes, it is a bit dishonest to sell fins in the way they tried, but remember that she is really buying dive instruction from these people. If they behave like this on equipment, I would certainly be leery of buying training from them.

Cancel the certification course and go somewhere else. And use the split fins, they are certainly fine for OW.

Not only tell her to find another LDS, tell her to return the booties and mask she already bought from him. Behavior like this, especially from the owner, only drive away people from the sport after the realize how badly they've been lied to and taken advantage of. No doubt another LDS owner that will blame LP for causing him to go out of business.

Oops. I missed that the OP said it was the owner of the LDS. Yes, definitely look elsewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom