Three Russian divers missing in Egypt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When not Battle Royal is it Tiger or elsetank junk also some off war supportships

ther near El Alamain.....http://
BattleRoyal2.jpg

E.L.7*

When diving in Palau I saw a lot people from around the world diving, some really scared me. I asked our dive master if there was a group of divers that "scared' him. He was Swiss. Without hesitation he said the Russians were the ones that troubled him the most. Big risk takers, adventurous to a fault.

The depths and circumstances here don't add up- local knowledge would/should prevail?

Education in diving is not created equal around the world-

Lets hope there's more to this story and those divers are OK somewhere.

It's a very well written book by a true explorer. He was so humble yet did things that most of us could only dream about.

BTW: This book has both: Good success stories as well as cautionary tales. Imagine using a milk jug as a buoyancy compensator!

Not well written (not his fault, he was a diver not a writer), but an amazing, wonderful book nonetheless. One that you can read numerous times, and still not be able to put down.

What you're describing is an article from Aquacorp magazine dated sometime in the late 90's. I have the article somewhere? Needless to say, what they did then is not what anyone should be practicing now. Some of the people involved in that dive were something else...and that's not a compliment!

X

Wah wah article

What I read was actually different, But I did have it wrong brett set up doubles for some one else. Yes the same dive spot< think what I read was a dive before that one, cause I dont remember the trimix divers involved. Brett got alot of slack over it, so maybe they did it again with some of the same and more dive pros.
My point is I found this in 96, I never got certified till I moved to washington,cause in michigan I dove since I was a kid. Getting air and trimix fills was something you did your self or you always new some one that could, air at dive shops was not policed like it is now. When I was almost 16 when I was with some older divers we dove the kamloops, I went to Isle-royale to get gemstones. after they got done with there diving the anchor got hung up, since they all couln't go back down.
It was my first dive to 200, I was small then and doulbe burst disc is what you did to pack more air in the tank. Are aluiminum 80's always had over 4000 psi same with steel tanks.
Mr X diving past 200 isn't something I just started yesterday , Been doing it for 25 years.
In 96 it confirmed me of my analysis that it is whole lot easier and less gas to dive deep on air. To sum up what I said in previous reply is since 96, I have been going deeper than 200 cause I now know people dive to 300-400 on air. I 'll never reach past 320' on air cause my Phisolgy of my body gets extremly narced up. For the most part anything I dive past 250 I dive Tri-mix, Now that I have a full gas station set up maybe I'll go rebreather to use less gas. The Ironic thing is If I had to pay a dive shop for trimix fills or even air the gasoline to and from the shop, gas for boat, It would be very costly.
Here, diving the puget sound cause of the currents air is easier to dive,cause your not carring such a huge load. Shore diving cost more in gas in a vehicle than my boat and takes 3 times as long in a vehicle,so if you add the cost of diving, learning deep air diving is way more cost effective. Sorry instructors just my thoughts on it, and what I have learned in my 30 years of diving and about 12 years of diving the puget sound.

Thanks for the article. It brought back some interesting memories related to two of the individuals involved in "Wah-wah. I knew them in various venues and am happy to see that they are less-than-influential now, or out of diving - period.

VooDoo, the non-compliment aspect was not directed towards you. The deep air stuff has been around a long time + I have been at it a while too. In the 70's, NOAA I & II required special certs. etc. These gases are now called Nitrox. Getting a helium fill was unheard of too*. There wasn't a whole lot of information out there other than what scientists, research or commercial divers used on the job. Not much of those "secrets" filtered out to the public, if any. Getting a cert. in NOAA took forever, not including all the gates you had to pass through for what is easily now a set of scaffolding classes - adv. nitrox, technical nitrox, tri-mix etc.

I dove deep on air too. :shakehead: My limit was 190' -200'. It was never very pretty and 1/2 the time I was goosed. Only by focusing hard was I able to manage anything. My eyes always felt woozy and itchy underwater. The tech. revolution in the 90's, Billy Deans, Hamilton Research etc.made diving in eyes so much safer.

X

* unless you were on some deep sea habitat project or something?

Just back from playing with my octo's and feeding them some dungies. they missed me for a few days storms made water not so desireable. So Mr X I was at catalina island last month for a hyperbarics convention and H.G. Wells got an award there and had a very interesting talk on how he came up with the nitrox tables and nitrox diving.
After the awards we had a few drinks and mingled around got to get to know him a bit, He's a very outstanding and down to earth guy. He also has spent more time underwater than anyone in the world, of course thats saturation diving in the sea labs. If you want to meet some old time divers before they die, try a hyperbarics convention when its in your area. and thanks for the clarification.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom