San Juan, St Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St Lucia, Antigua, St Kitts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingPrincessE - maybe we can hook up if you like at one or two places and dive as a group. My wife and I will be there with both sets of non-diving parents so we'll be looking to get away every chance we can. Between the advice of those on the board here and my local shop, I'm going to see if our travel people at the shop can make arrangements for us wherever we decide to dive. Otherwise, diving as a ship excursion is a lot more expensive but I'll do it if it is our only choice.

I dove with the ship's excursion at Cozumel and Belize this past September. The Cozumel excursion was more expensive than others on the island...but it was just easier. In Belize it was the same price to go with the ship excursion. We just started planning but I'm going to try to find some dive shops and price it out...I (we) may be forced to go with shops from the islands (not the ship's excursion) because it seems like the ship only has dive excursions at a couple of ports.

Starting my research and I found a dive operator in Puerto Rico and St. Thomas. I'm going to find good dive operators at each island and then decide later which islands I want to dive at. Both of these cater to cruise shippers and the st thomas one has good SB feedback...I haven't searched SB for the puerto rico one yet.

There is an excursion at St Thomas but its between $50-$99 for a one tank dive at a beach location that is described as so-so diving...where as Blue Island does a two tank dive for $85 (without rentals) and reviews say they take people to good locations.

Puerto Rice http://www.diveguide.com/p2046.htm $60 for two tank dive

St Thomas http://www.blueislanddivers.com/01_diving/DiveRates.html

Just met a guy this week that spent last year working for DAN in Puerto Rico. He said most of the good diving there is not anywhere close to the docks and you have to go around the island to get to them. Someone else might have another opinion.

Yeah I've been reading the same thing...too bad, although I guess it explains why it's only $60. Most of my diving is in a quarry with 6 ft viz...so anything is better than that =~)

DivingPrincessE, I have dived with Blue Island Divers on 3 separate trips to St Thomas. They are a top notch outfit, the best I've dived with yet. All their groups are small, and they know their sites well.

Most of the islands are voting for the resumption of whaling, however this is nothing new. Even if most of the islands probably won't ever resume whaling, it is unfortunate that they vote in favour of it. Having said that, the IWC ban on whaling is, strictly speaking, illegal because of the way the moratorium was supposed to be lifted after 10 years (long story behind that one!). While I don't advocate a return to whaling, the talk of boycotting Caribbean island tourism on this issues seems pointless (not accusing anyone on the forum of this) and counterproductive.

Truth is most the islands are poor continued investment from the Japanese is much needed. Generally the pro-whaling stance stems from this type of foreign aid. It is an issue that won't be resolved soon for sure.

There are some great Whale Watching operators in the region fighting this thing tooth and nail, believe me! (though no government would ever admit to being bought out!)

My 2 cents on the whaling thing... I do hope you have a good trip, find some good diving - you should on Barbados and Dominica (though Dominica topside it great too).

Great info DivingPrincessE, thanks.
Please keep us posted if you find anymore info. on this trip and diving.

Cheers,
Steve

uote=DivingPrincessE;3252790]Starting my research and I found a dive operator in Puerto Rico and St. Thomas. I'm going to find good dive operators at each island and then decide later which islands I want to dive at. Both of these cater to cruise shippers and the st thomas one has good SB feedback...I haven't searched SB for the puerto rico one yet.

There is an excursion at St Thomas but its between $50-$99 for a one tank dive at a beach location that is described as so-so diving...where as Blue Island does a two tank dive for $85 (without rentals) and reviews say they take people to good locations.

Puerto Rice http://www.diveguide.com/p2046.htm $60 for two tank dive

St Thomas http://www.blueislanddivers.com/01_diving/DiveRates.html[/quote]

Back
Top Bottom