So, what is the point of AOW???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In a nutshell he suggested that there wasn't much point to AOW. I mentioned that I was under the impression that some dive operators "required" an AOW certification before taking divers to certain sites, or renting tanks, etc.

That's why I took AOW--it was worth it not to have to justify why I should be allowed to dive. It made life much simplier.

Steve

Neither ... it's a reality check.

.. if we expect everyone with a question to search for prior threads on the same topic, there will be nothing left to talk about but mindless chatter and threads complaining about the moderators ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

People complain about the moderators? I gotta search that...

Here we go again. Doesnt anyone use the search button?

I just did one to find the answer to that question. Unfortunately it is NO. :no

But that is perfectly ok because someone may ask a question I have not thought of and therefore would not have known to search for the answer.

Thanks to everyone for their input. Thanks also for the suggestions here and by PM. As I mentioned, I intended to do the AOW so I would have the card, if needed, and I'm sure it will be educational. I already have plans for the dive trip during which I intend to do the AOW. Hopefully it will be a good experience and since I believe the "class" will be me, my dive buddy and the instructor, I think it will be personalized to our skills and experience.

As I said, the real question concerned the instructor's feeling that the extra cost for the "certification" part of the course was unnecessary, not the diving or training per se. I will mention some of these responses. I would certainly hate to plan a dive and show up at the boat only to be turned away because I didn't have the right plastic card, and that alone justifies the extra $100.00 or so.

Feel free to come back after the trip and let us know what you think of the course.

For an upcoming trip I contacted an instructor/dive op I know and said that I wanted to do the AOW "course" while I was there. He has dived with me and knows my diving skills and experience.

In a nutshell he suggested that there wasn't much point to AOW. I mentioned that I was under the impression that some dive operators "required" an AOW certification before taking divers to certain sites, or renting tanks, etc. I was sure I had seen this somewhere, but I don't know where. I have searched and can't find this.

So, except that it is required for a couple of PADI specialties and some of their other advanced certifications, why do AOW????

Does it mean anything to anyone? If I have it or don't, will that affect where I dive, or how deep, or with whom I dive?

AOW meets the requirements for deeper diving max 130 feet. Also, OW is simply too much of an easy going introduction. I got my OW, AOW back to back before going to any resort. The year after that I go my Rescue and then started working on my DM.

I have long since left taking PADI instruction and I am actively involved in my TDI certifications for technical diving. I am not trying to glorify my own resume...to each their own...my point is that more knowledge is always a good thing. More knowledge, more reading, more practice and training...always a good thing.

To bring the point home even further...I once was on a Key Largo trip on some cattle boat operation to dive the Spiegel Grove...the operator would not go out to the site with OW divers...they required an AOW certification...and even then some AOW divers behaved like a bunch of fumbling newbies...deep, heavy current etc.

Just my O2.

AOW meets the requirements for deeper diving max 130 feet. Also, OW is simply too much of an easy going introduction. I got my OW, AOW back to back before going to any resort.
For what it's worth, the recommended max depths for PADI are; 60' for OW divers, 100' for AOW divers and 130' for divers with deep training or experience. A diver who does OW / AOW back to back is not recommended good to go to 130'! Some AOW deep training dives are only 61' deep!

An AOW diver who has plenty of dives 80-100' deep with well trained buddies should be ok to go deeper than 100' with well trained buddies, but it is up to the individual to dive within their capabilities and everyone has different capabilities.
my point is that more knowledge is always a good thing. More knowledge, more reading, more practice and training...always a good thing.
Well said, hopefully you remember the other important things better than the recommended max depths. :D
I once was on a Key Largo trip on some cattle boat operation to dive the Spiegel Grove...the operator would not go out to the site with OW divers...they required an AOW certification...and even then some AOW divers behaved like a bunch of fumbling newbies
Any diver who does the back to back is carrying the AOW card while having less than a dozen certified dives; less than a dozen dives is usually a fumbling newb. Since the SG went down, how many AOW divers have had incidents there?

snip... I am not trying to glorify my own resume...to each their own...my point is that more knowledge is always a good thing. More knowledge, more reading, more practice and training...always a good thing.

It does not hurt to have more experience either.

Euro_banknotes.png

I would have posted some US$ but it's gotten pretty useless recently. :rolleyes:

hahaha

money...the root of all evil....buahahaha

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom