Media Luna, San Luis Potosi .... ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone dived Media Luna in the San Luis Potosi region of Mexico? Saw a trip listed for it....high altitude, warm water lake...sounds interesting.

We dove Media Luna this past spring ... clear waters, definitely warm and a few bubbly subsurface springs that you can play around in to pass the time. I´m not much for tight spaces so I can´t comment on any of the cavern entrances.

The dive shop near the highway on the way into the park area has several recovered artifacts on display in a back room - worth a visit if you speak with the owner.

Overnight camping at this site was very pleasant (we were just about 10 steps off the dive platform) and you can rent tanks & get air fills inside the park if you don´t want to drive back out to the main highway at the end of every tank. The dive shop inside the park didn´t offer as much in the way of gear, so if you are planning to rent or are missing anything, I´d recommend the first shop near the highway, but, otherwise, the park shop guys were great and hauled down our tanks (empty & full) at the times we requested to our campsite. Lots of ducks.

As always in central Mexico, bring your own rolls of toliet paper, etc. to use in the cabana house, as paper products weren´t provided during our stay. The path from the campsite areas to the cabana house weren´t lighted during our visit, so a standard flashlight comes in handy if you are there overnight. Weekend campers will find plenty to eat and drink at the tianguis (shops) in the center of the park, but be prepared to fix your own breakfast and dinner or to exit the park at those mealtimes, if you are there mid-week.

CHUM in Houston organized a trip there two years ago. We got an inclusive package from the hotel on the highway which included rooms, meals(the owner owns a separate restaurant in town), diving and transportation. We dove Medina Luna the first day. The second day we dove a waterfall about an hour away. Probably one of the best fresh water dives I have ever done. We set up our gear and then paid porters to haul the dive gear down(and more importantly back up) 287 steps. Once at the waterfall we got in and made a dive.

MediaLuna :: Hotel & Resort ::

Look at City of Houston Underwater Mariners - The Water's More Exciting with CHUM in it

There is a trip report.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom