Close call in the dressing room

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a relatively new diver and finally after a few months lurking I have found a thread that I feel qualified to post in. So here's my story.

I have an unusually large head. No ladies I am not bragging I have just always had a really tough time finding hats and other head gear that fits. My head isn't so much round as it is just tall (insert "why the long face" jokes here). This anatomical irregularity has caused the diving hood to become my arch nemesis.

When I was doing my open water course I tried on all my gear at the school/shop. I was lucky enough to find wetsuit that fit me quite well and although it seemed a little tight in the chest I was able to get in and out of it without an unreasonable amount of effort. The hood was not comfortable but having lived with similar problems ever since I grew out of the "we'll just get the size meant for older boys" scenario and the fact that the dive shop did not have anything bigger than XXL hoods I just accepted it.

So then came the day for the open water dives. My girlfriend and I drove out to the dive site, did the site orientation and briefing with the instructors, put on our gear, did buddy checks, and walked down to the water. The whole time I was noticing that the hood kept sliding up my chin and over my mouth but I didn't think much of it at the time because I would just breathe through my nose. So we get down to the water, spit in and rinse our masks, and put them on. In putting on my mask I readjusted the hood and everything was fine right? WRONG. It seemed okay at first until floated on my back to put on my fins. Just as I was putting on my second fin (ie. had both hands with fingers stuck behind the heel strap) the hood moved again and covered my mouth. So there I was in 5' of water, fingers stuck to my foot, mask covering my nose, hood covering my mouth, and my head neatly above the surface, drowning. Everyone around me looked perfectly calm, as I said my head was above the water, I was unable to wave for help (or help myself), and the hopping/spasm motions looked exactly like everyone else who was putting on fins in the ocean for the first time. Just as I was about to pass out I managed to get one hand free and pull the hood off my face and gasp for breath. Needless to say I now always put my snorkel in my mouth before I put my fins on.

I know it's been asked before but, would this have counted as diving fatality?

I had a similar embarrassing experience in the Henderson outlet once. Unfortunately, I wasn't in the dressing room when it happened. I was in the middle of the store, trying on a hood. I looked like a bloated tick in the thing and thought I'd have an aneurysm before I got the dreaded thing off.

I wonder if this would have counted as a dive fatality? :wink:

LOL!!! These are so funny my coworkers are wondering what I'm laughing about.

But, I can relate! I tried on a hood once (with assistance) and ended up buying it.

Never used it though, reminded me of a piece of armor from the middle ages.

Took it back for a full refund and got a beanie instead. Now that beanie I use consistently. Keeps me warm and keeps my hair from straining the flotsam and jetsam in the water.

I'm a relatively new diver and finally after a few months lurking I have found a thread that I feel qualified to post in. So here's my story.

I have an unusually large head. No ladies I am not bragging I have just always had a really tough time finding hats and other head gear that fits. My head isn't so much round as it is just tall (insert "why the long face" jokes here). This anatomical irregularity has caused the diving hood to become my arch nemesis.

When I was doing my open water course I tried on all my gear at the school/shop. I was lucky enough to find wetsuit that fit me quite well and although it seemed a little tight in the chest I was able to get in and out of it without an unreasonable amount of effort. The hood was not comfortable but having lived with similar problems ever since I grew out of the "we'll just get the size meant for older boys" scenario and the fact that the dive shop did not have anything bigger than XXL hoods I just accepted it.

So then came the day for the open water dives. My girlfriend and I drove out to the dive site, did the site orientation and briefing with the instructors, put on our gear, did buddy checks, and walked down to the water. The whole time I was noticing that the hood kept sliding up my chin and over my mouth but I didn't think much of it at the time because I would just breathe through my nose. So we get down to the water, spit in and rinse our masks, and put them on. In putting on my mask I readjusted the hood and everything was fine right? WRONG. It seemed okay at first until floated on my back to put on my fins. Just as I was putting on my second fin (ie. had both hands with fingers stuck behind the heel strap) the hood moved again and covered my mouth. So there I was in 5' of water, fingers stuck to my foot, mask covering my nose, hood covering my mouth, and my head neatly above the surface, drowning. Everyone around me looked perfectly calm, as I said my head was above the water, I was unable to wave for help (or help myself), and the hopping/spasm motions looked exactly like everyone else who was putting on fins in the ocean for the first time. Just as I was about to pass out I managed to get one hand free and pull the hood off my face and gasp for breath. Needless to say I now always put my snorkel in my mouth before I put my fins on.

I know it's been asked before but, would this have counted as diving fatality?

Dang, that was funny until you couldn't breathe. Sounds like a story for the Diver Down book.

This is the best thread ever!

I've been reading through this and my wife had to come in and see why I have been giggling and laughing until tears came in my eyes. I had her read a couple of posts and she "cried" too!

Surelyshirley has the best post by far!

Well, the videos on the previousa page, posted by AlmityWife, are the finest examples of wet suit wrestling on film. That was my exact experience but I was quite alone at the time. Very, very funny vids and I agree with the diver that commented about "buddy skills". Those gals were determined to do it themselves. More likely they couldn't believe that the suits didn't just pop right off. 5 minutes later and you're rasslin' for freedom.

I was in a dive shop recently and spied a commercial diver's helmet on the shelf. Being new to diving and obviously being rather trusting, I said, "Sure", when the owner offered to let me try on his old helmet he used to use when he did commercial diving. Having seen Men of Honor more than once I figured he would flip open the little door on the front of it so I could breathe. I pushed my face into the little hole formed by the neoprene seal. I could still get some air even though it smelled kinda moldy. The owner said, "Here, let me latch the seal on the back." All was well until he caught the latch and I tried to take a breath. Nothing. I looked at him, he looked at me. I pushed up on the chin area figuring it would be like a Scott Air Pack I wear in the fire service and would let some air leak in. H#*LL NO!!! NOTHING WHATSOEVER!!! By this time my ears have popped twice and I'm seeing some wiggly shapes. I claw at the latch deal on the back of the thing with one hand while cutting across my throat with my other hand. The shop owner finally realized that something wasn't quite right and tried to undo the latch deal. It's stuck. For a while. I'm about ready to start tossing my head back and forth like a dog with one of those cone shaped things around his neck. He finally gets the catch to release and I about take my ears off pulling the thing off of my head. I'm gasping, asking why didn't he open the door. He says there ain't one on this helmet. After a few deep breaths, I hear him saying that the air inlet valve must not be operable anymore. To which I replied, "No Sh##t!!". Moral of story, don't stick your head into something unless you're straight sure there's an air supply.

Back
Top Bottom