Dive at 5 Graves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

makomike

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Another instructor and I dove 5 Graves today. Very good conditions with 50' vis at the end of the fingers. Greg was working on his photo skills and I was a spotter. Greg is still learning, but came out with some good shots.

Wanted to post these pictures. I watched this scene for about 10 minutes. I thought it was so cool. Where ever the porcupine turned the trumpet was always there taking cover underneath. also saw 3 octo, baby frogfish, several large Ulua, and a school of 30 plus Heller Baracuda.

P10100492.JPG

P10100631.JPG

That's different, I've seen the trumpets following goatfish and other foraging predators but that one looks to just be hiding.

That's different, I've seen the trumpets following goatfish and other foraging predators but that one looks to just be hiding.

definitely WAS hiding. It was hiding like that likely before it seen me. i saw the behavior about 40 ft away and approached behind some rock. Viewed it for a few minutes from cover then viewed it out in open. the porcupine couldnt care less we were there untill greg started to get close for a shot.

very unusual and i found it very amusing. i started laughing.

aloha

Those porcupine fish have the COOLEST eyes. The trumpet fish will attempt to mimick anything near by from what I have seen. They don't seen too picky if its alive or not. They will lay up against a ships side as well. any thing that they can blend into. Cool shots though.

Rather than hiding, the trumpetfish was probably shadow feeding. In other words, it was trying to sneak up on something that isn't eaten by puffers. The trick is that the trumpetfish prey just sees the puffer, lets down their guard, and then the trumpet gets a meal.

I had trumpetfish use me in the same way, staying right under my shoulder for a minute or two.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom