St Lawrence drift dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firediver32

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok, I know, anywhere COULD be a drift dive, but does anyone have any particular areas that are better than other. I dive mostly in the Clayton/A Bay/Rochport area. My crew is pretty experienced with ocean drift dives, as well as the wrecks in the above mentioned areas. I just thought I'd ask before dropping people blindly. Thanks for any suggestions you have.

Dan
"Sea Wolf"

I've enjoyed the following drift dives in the Brockville area

3 sisters - start upstream and drift between and beyond
Sparrow island north side (start at lillie parsons and go)
Sparrow island south side
Daryaw drift - jump in upstream of the Daryaw, drift to and past the wreck

The only down side I have with drifts there is...... they dive, I drive LOL. At least tied up up, I can dive too.

The drift-on, drift off the Daryaw is fun too.

A lot of us do Lock 23 in Morrisburg, ON as a drift shore dive. You start upstream at Augusta Street (or even further upstream), swim out about 5 min and drift through the old canal and lock system down to the dock or to the beach. Along the way, you can see a hydro generating station and pump house on the south side of the old canal before entering the lock system. From Augusta St to the beach, it'll take you about 60-70 min so double tanks are obviously required. On a single, you can do the drift from the dock to the beach (i.e. through the lock system). It helps to have 2 vehicles but the walk isn't too far, maybe 1-2 km (0.5-1 mi).

Dive sites

i recently did a drift from the lily to the jb king. it was very nice.
the current was med to low... so it took 40 minutes to get there.

next season i might try the vickery to the oconto.

hmm. i replied to you 2 days ago... but it seems to have dissappeared.

anyway... the vickery to the oconto is doable. albeit, deep in heavy current.

the vickery is just off the lighthouse on rock island and the oconto is downstream
towards the bridge, just under this marker buoy. [taken from rock island]
DSC04534e.jpg

Thanks for the info. I am pretty fimilar with the vickory, but have not done the Octano. going from my poor memory, I was recalling a jug type buoy, I thought was upstream across the channel. Guess I was wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom