Whale sharks in Florida Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redape

Reaction score
Three of us are headed for the Florida Keys in early August and have been amazed at the value of Scubaboard for finding out info. Is there anyone out there who can tell us if there is a place to go in the Keys area to possibly see whale sharks? :yellow:

They occassionally show up down around S. Florida but you would be very lucky to see one. Odds are probably better of winning the lottery.

We are having to go to Galapagos to see them....leave Wed:)

Dave

Do appreciate the reality check on the likelihood of encounting Whale Sharks. I do think we will be impressed with the biodiversity in the area, whales sharks or not.

Regarding your trip to the Galapagos, I am envious. Hopefully I will make my pilgrimage to the islands as I am a devotee of Mr. Darwin and his discoveries. Have a good time. :wanna:

redape once bubbled...
Three of us are headed for the Florida Keys in early August and have been amazed at the value of Scubaboard for finding out info. Is there anyone out there who can tell us if there is a place to go in the Keys area to possibly see whale sharks? :yellow:

Actually some tech divers ecountered one diving the Kendrick off Key West last weekend. There's some video of it at the theater section http://www.mikey.net/aue
It's very brief right at the end the video.

Another person encountered one diving the Flower Gardens (obviously not in FL) on the same weekend.

The whale shark was spotted at the former USS Wilkes-Barre by tech divers diving off of our boat. Seeing these critters here is a rare event & as someone stated above you are about as likely to win the lottery.

Capt Jim Wyatt
Florida Keys Reef-Divers, Inc.
www.reef-divers.com

Thats great----I guess you win the lottery!!!:)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom