St Lawrence drift dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hmm. i replied to you 2 days ago... but it seems to have dissappeared.

anyway... the vickery to the oconto is doable. albeit, deep in heavy current.

the vickery is just off the lighthouse on rock island and the oconto is downstream
towards the bridge, just under this marker buoy. [taken from rock island]
DSC04534e.jpg

This is a GREAT dive.. but definately not fr the beginner... You start in strong current on the vick, then proceed into the channl (about 180ffw) the swim like hell across the channel.. You will drift right into te oconto and get to do a reasonable deco on the sheltered side of the "island"

the vickery is just off the lighthouse on rock island and the oconto is downstream
towards the bridge, just under this marker buoy. [taken from rock island]
DSC04534e.jpg

Are you sure about that? I believe the Oconto is on the other side of the channel from the Vickery. It is beside a channel marker but its not one of those big fat round ones (as shown in your picture). It is beside one of those narrower ones. IIRC the channel marker is also RED not GREEN.

However, I've only dove the Oconto once and I might be mis-remembering the details.

Are you sure about that? I believe the Oconto is on the other side of the channel from the Vickery. It is beside a channel marker but its not one of those big fat round ones (as shown in your picture). It is beside one of those narrower ones. IIRC the channel marker is also RED not GREEN.

However, I've only dove the Oconto once and I might be mis-remembering the details.

Its hard to tell by the pic but its in the right general area. the oconto is on the opposite side of the channel from the vick (not that far a swim).. the marker is on a small "island" / shoal..
you swim from the vick across the channel.. once you run into the "wall" you just drift down river..

i thought i was sure... but i think you are right.
last time i dived the oconto (late oct) it was dark... oh and btw, there is no descent line anymore.

i dug up a better pic from the bridge...
you can see the lighthouse and both buoys... large and small.

66937-DSC05526e2StLawIced.jpg

Back
Top Bottom