Things you've found under water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have found numerous boats, cars, and hundreds of various anchors on the bottom while diving inland lakes. I have also brought up lots of fishing epuipment, assorted boating equipment, and personnel items. I love diving around docks and small coves. Visibility is usually limited to a couple of feet or less. Rewards can be good for a little bit of work. Most of the marinas in my area are void of people on weekdays so boat traffic is of little problem. Check out the pictures of some of the anchors I have pulled up.

I am lucky to have a wife that enjoys me being at the lake diving instead of home messing up her house so I get to dive usually five days a week from April to November. I usually taper off diving in the winter somewhat. My stuff is not gold, but I have a blast finding and lifting things, even some boats once and a while.

Attachments

• 199a.jpg
    199a.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 351
  • 201a.jpg
    201a.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 342
LOL some of those anchors look like they're brand new!

I want to get out and dive in Lake Arrowhead, CA around some of the docks. I have heard stories from the dock owners who know of several lost pairs of expensive sunglasses and one Rolex.

Lets as a PSD Diver:

Cars
Bones/Body
Evidence

As a recreational Diver:

Cell Phone
Power Ranger
Atari 2600 Game (During a Body Recovery)
Handheld Radio
$1 Bill
Unopened Bottle of Wine
Lots of Shoes and Socks.

I have found:
a very large anchor (no ship attached) just off former Meigs Field. It is leaning against my tree in fromt of my house
a civil war era pin action revolver a mile east of Navy Pier.
my own dive computer (Thank heavens)
military buttons just off shore from Fort Sheridan (old submerged dock)
antique bottles off the board walk in the St Claire River
more antique bottles in Lake Mendota (near the University of Wisconsin campus)

I've gotten tips on TWO treasures located in Northern Indiana, One is the plane in Tippy Lake in kosc. county, the other possibly gold/silver in another kosc. lake not too far from tippy....forgive me if I don't name the lake....but it seems to be a good lead....If anyone with a metal detector is interested in tagging along contact me at groups.myspace.com/divingdreams. Happy diving.

What, if anything, have you found and salvaged on your dives? I'm not talking about scavenging wrecks, I'm just curious to know what items, if any, all of you have stumbled upon while diving.

I have found many artifacts (rifle butt plates, ink wells, sharks teeth, dinner ware, portholes, etc.) from assorted wrecks … the more the better.

Finds that I have made while not expecting to find anything are:

- Mask & snorkel in Grand Cayman while shore diving at Eden Rock
- 5 lb lead dive weight in Cooper River, SC near Goose Creek
- 10 lb lead fishing weight on open ocean (not near known ship wreck) 27 miles off Little River Inlet, SC
- 80 cf Al SCUBA tank found in ICW south of Morehead City (it had been there awhile)

I was also diving with a group of friends. One of them lost a second stage regulator (first dive after maintenance, which was obviously done poorly) in the Cooper River and had to abort their dive. When another one of them surfaced after their dive they asked if anyone had lost a regulator as they had found it about 100 yrds down current.

Patrick Heraghty
Wish You Were Here … Diving

I love finding stuff. My treasure chest (made up of items from a Scuba Park in Terrell Texas, Lake Murray in Oklahoma, Cobalt Cost Grand Cayman, and Sebago Lake in Maine)

3 pairs of sunglasses
A gazzillion golf balls (that I date an initial with a sharpie and then throw back... I LOVE finding golf balls.)
4 Masks (5 if you count the one I caught midwater that a student above me dropped...this may not count because the student didn't know they'd lost it until I surfaced with it.)
6 Snorkels
A grill grate
A grill cover
2 Fishing poles
1 Reel
Aluminum culvert (washed into the lake from a flood...that turned into a battle with the town over "who owned it"...so it's still there...unless someone salvaged it in the middle of the night.)
4 Mushroom anchors
3 blade anchors
1 REALLY cool antique fishing lure
1 Antique whisky bottle (dated around the 1900ish, that turned out to be worth sumpth'n.)
1 Gerber Short River Dive Knife
A picnic table umbrella
A grill brush
Railroad spike (left over from the lake construction we think)
Stop sign (left in place to control dive traffic...wouldn't want to cause an accident underwater.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom