New/Future diver checking in, hi!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikejclark

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Just wanted to send my warmest regards and hello to everyone on here. een reading the post for a few days. Abit about myself:

Plan on getting into diving as soon as I get back from my current deployment (US Military.) My girfriend i really into diving and finally all that talkin she does has me really into getting into the water. Lived in Hawaii for 3 1/2 yrs, to bad i didnt wanna dive then though aye! Living @ Virginia now. Again Hello all and look forward to future conversations with everyone.

Michael C.

Great, you'll enjoy it! I learned whilst in the Navy, only regret, as you're seeing, is that I didn't start sooner!

it's an addiction... i just started my obsession... have fun

Just wanted to send my warmest regards and hello to everyone on here. een reading the post for a few days. Abit about myself:

Plan on getting into diving as soon as I get back from my current deployment (US Military.) My girfriend i really into diving and finally all that talkin she does has me really into getting into the water. Lived in Hawaii for 3 1/2 yrs, to bad i didnt wanna dive then though aye! Living @ Virginia now. Again Hello all and look forward to future conversations with everyone.

Michael C.

Congratulations and condolences on taking the plunge. You are going to love it, but it can be expensive. I am going to stick my neck out and expect it to chopped off.

First, OW training is a lot like basic, they bring you along with skills building on each other. You will not have a problem with it. Second, I would immediately take my AOW class (I can hear the ax coming down). The big benefit is that you will get more dives with an instructor before heading out with your girl friend. Third, regardless of what it costs get a mask that really fits you. Outside of your basic snorkel package, take some time before buying additional gear.

It is important to have a relationship with a good LDS. Things break, need maintenance and you will have a ton of questions/ideas. Find a shop that you like, whose opinions you respect, and doesn't try to push you to hard. Borrow or rent different gear to find out what you like instead of what will get you by, or what a shop wants to sell you.

Scuba is a great sport and dive whenever you get the chance.

Michael C.

What part of VA are you living in now?

Mike, thank you so much for your service to this country. You will be well rewarded once you pop a regulator in your mouth and take your first breath under water. Welcome to the board!

Welcome to:sblogo: Michael. Don't worry about Hawaii. Some of the best diving in the world is on the East Coast....

Michael C.
hi Mike, welcome to the board and to diving. I'm a former member of the G.A.C.C. (Great American Canoe Club) more commonly known as the U.S. Navy. I wanted to be a Navy Frogman (this was before the Navy Seals came into existance), but the Navy had other ideas. Looking back, I'm sorry that I didn't take the time to experience diving back then as a rec diver at least. Nevertheless, let us not lament what 'coulda, woulda, shoulda' and go forward from here and enjoy the best sport on planet Ocean as often and as safe as we possibly can.

Congrats on your decision! Diving will open a whole new world for you. Have fun!

Welcome to the board. As a current member of the Navy Reserves who was deployed for a year, I understand about the delays to start diving. You will love it once you get started. Be safe on your deployment.

Back
Top Bottom