Next trip...Curacao?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderwaterBumbleBee

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got back from Belize and I'm hot to trot all ready for the next trip. Our dive shop has a group trip to Curacao in June at the Lions Dive Resort. Curacao has been high on my list of to do's so I think I want to go on this trip. I've seen some photos of town which I love already. Will we see tons of fish and other critters? My shop also has a trip planned to Bonaire in December '08 which I am already sold on so I hope to hit them both this year.

Last year we hit Cozumel, Roatan and Belize so I am hoping to see something a little different this time. Since it will be land based, I'll want to see town, aquarium and any other natural sites so I can take a million photos. Will we love it? :blinking:

Also, I saw some photos online that I believe were taken in Curacao. Some divers were underwater, kind of shallow behind a wire cage wall that had a hole in the middle. There were a bunch of sharks, large turtles and huge 300+ pound grouper (they appeared to be petting them all and had some kind of rings in the water with them). Does anyone know what the heck that was or where? Is it part of the aquarium?

I'm join a group to Curacao in April so I'm looking for all kinds of info on the island. Like to connect with some trip reports- and pics would be nice to see. This is my first time to Curacao so really have no clue what to expect.

Ray

Thanks Carib_traveler and dogenia. How is Lions Dive? I've noticed that it's pretty close to the harbor/town. How big is the island and how long would it take to get around it? We'll be with a group but I might want to see other parts of the island. What sights would you recommend seeing? I LOVE to take photos on land and underwater, love animals and I saw one or two flamingo sanctuarys. What else should we not miss? How is the weather in June and the diving? Pretty good visibility usually? Is the diving as good as they say it is? I CAN'T WAIT and I haven't even put my deposit down yet! :D

I'll check out those sites and photos! Thanks

I recommend spending a day shore diving at Porto Marie. Picture a beautiful beach, with facilities like a restaurant, lockers, showers, bathrooms, beach chairs. Add in a really great shore dive and you get a great day.

Not many divesites in the Caribbean I can think of that match the whole package of Porto Marie.
Shore Diving Site Picture for: Port Marie of Curacao, ABC Islands

Also, I saw some photos online that I believe were taken in Curacao.

My wife and I really like CUR. We stay @ Breezes just up the road from Lions Dive (5th trip this August). To see tons of pictures of CUR, (above and below surface) go to The Dive Bus - HOME and click on photo gallery. You can find out most anything you need to know by asking Suzy or from that site. Good luck with your planning and I do feel you will love it there.:14:

Tom & Isabelle

I was in Curacao for a visit last year and loved it. Dive the Superior Producer if you get a chance. Nice wreck dive in about 100' of water. Its right near the Mega Pier. There is also a tug boat off one beach but it is deep. Saw turtles and a large ray at that site. Can't remember the beach, but the local dive shops can help. I used Silent Immersion when I was there and found them very friendly and knowledgeable about all the local sites. Check out the different dive shops. they all have their "favorite" sites. Enjoy the diving down there. I was there in early spring and the water was 82 degrees. Used a 3mm shorty, but sometimes wished I had a full suit. Some of the night dives and repetitive dives seemed colder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom