Any one used those 149 cu.ft steel tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxPower

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm in the market for a set of steel 130s and I notice that both Faber and OMS now offer 149s. Have any of my friends here on the board tried them out in single or doubled? I'm 5'10", 180lbs. Would these tanks be too much for me?

I believe they are identical to the old LP120's, and I know guys used those, but I don't think they are too common. Those are pretty long, heavy tanks, and at 5 foot 10, I think you would find them uncomfortable. Your best bet would be to try them compared to the 130's, which are 3 inches shorter. Also ask yourself this, do you need 150 cubic feet in one tank? Do you need 300 cubic feet in a set of doubles? Is the extra gas worth the extra bulk and weight? Cover those details first, and if possible try to dive any tanks you are considering before biting the bullet. Also, just for the record the OMS tanks are Faber's.

Jim

Yes, they are similar in size and weight to the old PST LP 120 and Faber LP 120.

The Faber 149 is 8" in diameter, 29.5" long, weighs 47 lbs and is +2.35 lbs bouyant when empty.
The PST 149 is 8" in diameter, 29.4" long, weighs 47.5 lbs and is -1.7 lbs bouyant when empty.
The PST LP 120 is 8" in diameter, 29.4" long, weighs 51.3 lbs and is -1.7 lbs bouyant empty.
The Faber LP 120 is 8" in diameter, 29.0" long, weighs 45 lbs and is neutral when empty.

One thing to consider is that the PST tank is most likely not going to be available anytime soon until they get their production and distribution mess straightened out. The Faber 149 is available but at +2.35 lbs bouyant when empty will require 4 lbs of weight per tank to get you back to where you would be with most 3442 psi 100's 120's or 130's. So if you are properly weighted with your configuration with 100's 120' or 130's, you need to add on 4 more pounds of lead per tank which effectively makes the total weight per tank 51.5 lbs - right in the LP 120 ballpark. So they are no worse than LP 120's, but they are a lot heavier than the 3442 psi 120-130 cu ft altrnatives.

There are lots of option in the 120 cu ft range and the 3442 psi tanks in that range are in general either 8-9 lbs lighter or 4 " shorter and may be a better choice trim wise for an under 6 ft diver. 3442 psi 130's tend to run about 4 to 5 lbs lighter and 2 to 3 inches shorter than the 149's.

If you absolutely need the gas, the 149 is an option, but if you don't need the gas for most of your dives, I'd go with a lighter and shorter 3442 psi 100's, 120's or 130's. When comparing 3442 psi 120's with Faber 149's and the added lead needed for the same bouyancy with empty tanks, a pair of Faber 149's would be about 26 lbs heavier at about 83 lbs versus 109 lbs with bands and manifold.

I you need that much gas its easier to use stages on the few dive requiring 300cuft of gas. I would rather have a bit less weight on my back while on land walking around and be able to hand sling bottles around personally.

I have a set of double PST LP120's. I'm 6' 180lbs and they are heavy, but I can handle it.

If your dive profiles are requiring that type of gas volume..I would consider a switch to a CCR unit.

I use double HP130s and haven't found anyone, yet, who can match my gas volume. They're heavy, very hard to transport, difficult to don, require a large frame and good strength, and you probably won't be able to use all the gas in a given day of diving unless you're planning some serious deep diving.

You may want to seriously consider how much gas volume your buddy divers have before going ridiculously overboard with gigantic tanks. Perhaps a CCR would be a better choice?

A CCR can run 7k to 10k so it's not for the financially faint of heart. And personally, I feel they bring on a whole host of new ways to kill yourself. If you go that route you need to be meticulous in your maintenance and attention to detail and you need to be willing to cancel the dive if anything is less than 100%. Plus while the rebreather itself will stretch your gas about 10 to 1 (making trimox dives much more affordable), you still need adequate bailout bottles to get you through an ascent and the substantial deco you may acquire, so it is still not exactly a lightweight option.

An 80 cu ft stage on the other hand, costs around $400-$500 with reg and will turn your double 120s into 320 cu ft of gas and not weigh much more than double 149's either.

And the point its well made in the previous post that massive amounts of gas on your back don't do you much good if the others on the team do not have a similar amount of gas. All of them will still need to have enough reserve to get any other of them to the surface on their reserve. So unless they all have similar gas supplies, yours really does not do you much good as you won't be able to use it.

Consequently if you want to go deeper/longer than more ordinary sized doubles will allow, it is probably easier to have you and your buddies plan on a 5 bottle dive using double 100's, 120's or 130's, a stage of bottom mix and a pair of deco bottles.

I have 2 Lp 125's (2400 psi) and recently got the 149 (3445 psi) and I don't make any weight belt adjustments going back and forth. The shop started giving us trouble about filling the LP to over 3000 psi, so i bought two new tanks: a 149 and a 117.

My friend uses the 149's as doubles and with 2 80 cuft stage bottles, I really don't know how he swims. The single tanks work great for me and I can often get 2 or even 3 recreational dives on the single big tank, especially if I whip a little gas off another tank for the third dive. When diving with a 3 mm full suit, I wear zero lead and I am actually heavier than I would like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom