Premature surfacing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most BCs have other dumps besides the valve. Different body orientation and use of the dumps on the bottom of your BC will really get all the air out!

..snip..
I now realise that my weghting probably was correct, but the low air situation will be avoided from now on :)
From now on i think i will lead myself :wink: and go the same way as the DM lol :) - will start to ascend at 600-800 psi (shallow dives)regardless of the DM (obviously let him know) -- actually saying that of course rule of 3rds for wrecks :D

My DM was actually very good, especially on my wreck penetrations, as he was always checking on my air situation :)

You're doing penetrations that require the use of the 3rds rule with less than 24 dives and yet you haven't got your weighting fully under control?
I find this post surprising to say the least.

You're doing penetrations that require the use of the 3rds rule with less than 24 dives and yet you haven't got your weighting fully under control?
I find this post surprising to say the least.

no i had the problem when i was doing my digital photography spec (outside the wreck, not penetration). with the wreck spec (penetrations) i was totally sorted :)

What on earth is going on here...

Lets review: You don't have your weighting down, you have a handful of dives...but are doing wreck penetrations, decided to start your ascent with 300psi, and state that the DM was good because he was checking on your air situation...whatever that means.

My friend, you really need to think about whats going on with your diving. This is something to be enjoyed, not something to get either a) hurt or b) scared out of your mind over.

ok... well the 300psi thing was a one time occurance at the start of my holiday (not on a wreck penetration), and i was just wanting to know about what people do in a low air situation about thier boyancy!? i realise that this was a very bad thing but as an inexperianced diver - these things can happen, and obviously i have learned by experaince (which isnt the best way i know).

the weighting issue, was not an issue at all as it was down to being very low on air.

yes the divemaster was keeping an eye on my air, as i had tasks to do for my spec, and he needed to see how much air i had before starting certain tasks!

i can see your concern though, and understand your point :)

thanks

a little bit of background info: havent dived in 2 years, but took my refresher course, and am now doing my wreck and digital photography spec.

ok so i was doing my 3rd dive this holiday, and i used up my air VERY quickly, (probably from chasing fish in circles to do my digital photography spec), but at 800psi i let my DM know of my air situation. he said ok and continued going along.

anyways a little time passed and i noticed that i was becoming positivly boyant and had to dump all the air from my BCD to stay neutral, so i checked on my air and it was down to 300psi :11:.

now i should mention the dive was at a max depth of 60ft, but mostly at around 40ft. this was following a 110ft dive with 1hr SI.

i started to get a little paniky so i caught up with my DM and told him i need to assend ASAP, he said ok, so i started to assend with the group. As i got to around 30ft i noticed that i became positivly boyant again, as my tank was getting very low, i was unable to keep myself from surfacing, (my dive computer didnt complain about my assent rate), but this meant i missed my saftey stop.

now sorry about the length of this post, but i have some questions:

1. when ur tank is very low how do u stop urself getting positivly boyant? i had already dumped my air from my BCD. if this was from a deeper level im sure i would have suffered from DCI, and even possibly overexpansion problems

2. i know a safety stop is not necessary if im not within 3 groups of my NDL ( i think thats right) but i did deep dive about an hour before, so i probably should have done the saftey stop! obviously i didnt feel any of the symptoms of DCI, but how long should i leave it before diving again? is 24 hours generally ok?

thanks a ton!

assuming you were using a AL, try HP Steels

Honestly, an experienced diver wouldn't let themself get down to 300 psi. The general rule for open water is to be on the line at 750 and on the boat with 500. If you're doing overhead work, then the rule of thirds applies.

Whil all of us are happy you're excited about diving, don't let that excitement cloud your judgement.

IvIcYrusIvI,

I have 3 comments which you may find helpful:

#1: Photographer as Buddy
I may be missing something here. Who was your buddy for this dive? Photographers tend to be a little absorbed in their craft, so it's usually better (especially for relatively inexperienced divers) to have one person taking pics and the other close by to help setup shots, point things out, etc. The photographer's buddy should be within "grabbing distance," just in case an emergency arises.

#2: Gas Management
TS&M made a great suggestion about learning gas management. This is key to understanding how much gas you should keep in reserve for a dive of a given depth. This goes waaaaay beyond the rule of thumb of surfacing with 500 psi. Remember that your tank holds your buddy's emergency gas...so your reserve should have enough for both you and your buddy (breathing heavily under stressful conditions) to ascend safely from depth. In addition, as you gain dive experience, you'll be able to figure out how much gas you breathe on average. In your pre-dive planning, you'll be able to calculate roughly how quickly you'll run through your gas at a given depth. As others have said, you plan your dive...and then dive your plan.

#3: Weight Check
I agree with the recommendation to do a proper weight check. To do this, I will generally take a few extra smaller weights on an easy shore dive. At the end of the dive when I'm in the shallows, I'll work with my buddy to do the weight check. At safety stop depth (10 or 15 fsw), I purge my reg so that I get down to less than 500psi (usually around 300 psi). If I can hold the depth comfortably, I hand off a small 1 or 2 pound weight to my buddy...and see if I can maintain depth again. If I find myself floating up, I vent my BCD. If I can then hold the SS depth, I'll hand off more weight to my buddy and repeat the process. At some time during this weight check, I will have emptied my BCD bladder of air completely...and I won't be able to hold my SS depth. On subsequent dive, I use the minimum amount of weight that enables me to hold my SS depth on a near-empty tank with empty BCD. Also, realize that you must do another weight check whenever you change your gear configuration (different tank, bcd, exposure protection, dive light, etc.).

If you do a proper weight check on a near-empty tank, you should be carrying enough weight for you to properly control your buoyancy at any depth equal to or deeper than SS depth. In the situation you described, I bet you were improperly weighted. There's also the possibility that you had an air bubble stuck in your BCD. As others have mentioned, you can figure out how to alter your body position to be able to vent the air bubble.

Enjoy the picture-taking and have fun...but above all else be safe!

I personally like to set my weighting at the surface with about 200 or so PSI left. If I can sink with a deep exhalation, and float with a deep inhalation, than I am happy. IMO, you should be able to control your bouyancy at depths even shallower than your safety stop, in case you need to wait on the ascent line for other divers to board, or you need to descend to avoid boat traffic, etc.

Good point, scubafool. For the reasons you stated, it's important to be able to hold depths shallower than your safety stop. I would also add that it's _very_ important to have pinpoint control of your buoyancy from SS depth to the surface, since ideally divers should be ascending slowly in this depth range to minimize the possibility of DCI and AGE (arterial gas embolism). Some certification organizations recommend ascents in this range to be no faster than 30 feet per minute. This guideline is almost always violated by newer divers. At the risk of stating the obvious, from a 15 fsw safety stop depth, it should take at least 30 seconds to surface.

When I'm diving in areas with boat traffic, I usually take the additional precaution of being slightly negatively buoyant in the last 3 - 5 feet below the surface. This necessitates finning up a little, but it also means that, if a boat suddenly appears once I surface, I can exhale and have a fighting chance to get under it before it runs me over.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom