Force Fins - my experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gulf of Mexico. Wouldn't those socks be slippery on a deck? Howabout the frog kick?

Thanks, Chris

Frog kick- yes they will frog kick just fine. in fact I think they do it very well. and it takes only some movement to activate the flex in the fin, and unlike most fins this blade snaps back... and fast. This is actually why they move so well to start with.

But as with many fins the stiffer one will frog kick better- the Pros or Tan Deltas

As you flex the fin you basically store energy and when you get to the end of the kick cycle the fin will rebound and you will get thrust from the rebound. Most fins don't have enough rebound to give you propulsion and they just wobble like wet noodles or are so stiff they are just planks. If you look at the new Aqualung fins you will see they are trying to imitate this rebound with rubber bands. Guess they are just starting to figure out what Bob has been doing for years. But the FF design doesn't have a serious of complicated parts that will all eventually fail, as the design is just a single piece of cast urethane, there is nothing to break.

Oh an Blair, I don't have any pictures for you, as like you I was left on shore.

Gulf of Mexico. Wouldn't those socks be slippery on a deck? Howabout the frog kick?

Thanks, Chris

Hi Chris

Ok, I'm on the Persian Gulf, though I do my diving on the Indian Ocean side, near Oman.

I don't recall a slippery feeling from the sock, wet or dry. I imagine there must be circumstances where they may be, but it hasn't felt that way for me yet.

I posted a link to my photos on an earlier thread: Gale's Travel Photos (password=belize). Not sure if those were the photos Lloyd was talking about or not. I'm anxiously awaiting the rest of Bob's images. I did a lot of modeling for him on this trip (as did Susanne & Avi) and can't wait to see how they turned out!

Gale

Hi Gale, Blair

Those are the pics I saw, uncleavi posted the link. I felt like running out of the office and going diving when I saw them :wink: I'll go and find the pics Bob took now before it gets busy around here

I want to chime in here since I spend my days working with a Force Fin Fanatic. Ben (see him here in our video), who works in the shop with me here loves them, honestly I almost laughed at him the first time he talked to me about the fins. I've seen the advertisements over the years and didn't really give them a second thought since they are so different from the norm. Needless to say, he's been trying to convince me that they are the best fins out there and the next time we go diving I'll be wearing his fins (the last thing is another set of fins). Anyways, since he's always talking about how great the fins are, I made him write a review. See below:

Force Fins:

I will be the first to tell you whether a product works or is just a bunch of hype. My experience goes back over 25 years with 15 plus years being a scuba instructor for numerous agencies. Force fins simply are the only fins I will use. I have a pair of Tan Delta Extra Force Fins with whiskers and have used them in every diving condition possible. I have used them boots or no boots, dry suit diving, deep diving, Ice diving, drift diving, wreck diving, cave diving etc. I recommend them to anyone regardless of leg strength and ability. They are the only fins that actually push the fin through the water and regardless if the strap breaks will not fall off my feet when I kick. The design is funky to say the least but my wife and kids say I don’t know how to dress anyway. For me what works when I do my job is what get the job done right. Force Fins are the right fins.

Ben Teichberg
PADI Master Instructor #150734
NAUI Instructor #48736
42 west 18th Street
NYC, NY. 10011
Tel. (212) 645-1234

Cool video! Thanks for the heads up, and all the advice previously. My wife has met Ben a couple of times while picking up gear for me at your store, she tells me he has been a really helpful guy.

Force fins are different - but in a preferential way. The design is not just a marketing gimmick, for me they did prove superior. Please put out more videos, it's great to see the store come alive like that, and LP definitely has the best retail web site on the net.

Hi Zeeman

The FF Pros I have are the open toe pocket, and I gather that is inherent to the FF design.

You can dive barefoot with them, I bought a set of the comfort insteps for that purpose - and they work very well. I use a set of Finis lycra wet socks when I do that, it's been a comfortable experience.

Thanks for that info, I may just try them out. I do like the size advantage, and seeing as about 75% of my dives are overseas, it sure makes sense. I do like my Volo Sports quite a bit, but they are SSOO long, and take up so much space...

Z...

Lloyd De Jongh - Great to hear about your experience with Force Fins and to also have a chance to hear unsolicited customer feedback. Thanks for sharing!

Zeeman- A lot people do use FORCE FINS with out booties or with a thin aqua sock. Refer to the sizing chart on Force Fin Swim Fins or this link Force Fin Shoe Size Conversion Chart - you can even call us and we can talk about your options.

Good Luck and safe diving! The design creates efficiency in the most Natural WAY.

And thanks to you too :) I will be digging into this further as my trip the Philippines in late Feb draws near.

Frog kick- yes they will frog kick just fine. In fact I think they do it very well...
Note that it really depends on the diver. Most users I believe would say the standard shaped model is very weak as a frog kick capable fin (by its very design). I found it nearly impossible. But I had no problem with the Excellerating model. Go figure!

Given that they're pretty pricey, how can someone who isn't familiar with them decide which to buy? Don't say "go try a few" because for most people that's impracticable or impossible. Down here in Belize everything has to be specially ordered blind - you've bought it long before you see it.

Can anyone list the various models with the main characteristics of each, and for each recommend who they would be suitable for? And why?

Another thing. Presumably they come with different footbed sizes. How do these sizes map onto typical shoe sizes?

And what colors are available? I always like yellow fins, ever since my early diving days with the seals that frequent the kelp forests off the north-east coast of England. If you have yellow fins the seals come and play with them. They ignore all other colors.

I have used Force Fins many years ago, but I have no idea what model they were. Models have probably changed since then anyway. I am tempted to try them again, but all these questions apply to me - I don't have a starting point.

I have a retail scuba gear shop here, so a good trade deal might persuade me to stock some.....

well I can tell you it is most likely that you were using the original ForceFin or the slightly stiffer Pro model.

These model have not really changed all since I have known about them, ~10years. For scuba the Pro is probably the best all around fin that will be easy to kick, provide all the propulsion that you will likely ever need and are small and light enough to pack and transport anywhere. I would highly recommend that you start with the Pros. They really are the one fin that does it all. The TanDelta is an even stiffer model that will provide better performance, but it is a big step up in price and if your unsure about spending that much money, stay with the Pros until you love them and then upgrade.

Beyond the original shape fin the other fins, while great (I have both the Extra Force Tan Delta and the new SD-1 Military (not yet a full production fin)), they are about selecting the right fin for the job. for example the Extra TanDelta is a massively powerful fin that can perform directional skulling better than any other fin I have used, but it is a lot of fin and you have to have the leg power to make them come alive. The Excellerating FF is designed to maximize thrust from a frog kick. Basically, I highly recommend starting with the basic models and moving up from there.

For sizing information see this link on their website. Fin Sizing, from what I can tell their sizing information has been very close. I personnally have a 13 foot (US) wear a 3-5mm soft sole bootie and the XXL fits me well. w/o bootie I wear a L.

Colors, well that depends on the fin that you want
the Originals are available in Black, Blue, and Pink
Pros in Black, Blue, and Yellow
TanDeltas- Black, Red, Blue, Green, Amythist, and Yellow

My personnal expirience with FF has been about a 10 year love affair with them. I have tried and played with almost every other fin out there that promises to be the best and found all of them lacking to my FF's.

Blair should be able to give you the information about becoming a retailer.

Back
Top Bottom