Tulamben accomodations and services?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
HI all -- I am planning on diving the Liberty in early April. Only my second time diving and I need a refresher course. Any suggestions and good places to stay and outfits to go with? All comments appreciated. I am looking forward to being back in the water!

Tauch terminal is a nice resort right on the beach which the Liberty lies . I done my AOW there last year. From the dive shop at Tauch its a 1 minute walk along the beach, a 5 min swim & you are on the wreck.
Nice place & easy diving. i.e no long boat trips, sheltered and not much current. The house reef is great. Diving in Bali is way under rated IMHO.

I think Apr is just at the end of rainy season.

Just got back from there (Dive Terminal, Tulamben). I agree with Kevster and it will be even nicer for you since they will be finished with all the renovations mid-March, I think.
Anyway, the Liberty is a nice dive as is the Drop-off (5 minutes' walk in the opposite direction of the Liberty) and the various 'local' boat dives they do.
If you are bringing your own equipment, make sure your booties are in good conditions with a thick sole - the 'beach' is all rocks (rounded, but still)...
The Terminal does 5 dives a day and your first dive on each dive site need to be with a guide (free of charge) and after that, you can decide if you want a guide or go with a buddy. Dive sites are easy to navigate but I would recommend going with guides on the boat dives (only 4-10min ride on the boat).
If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them. But then, google them - they are darn quick answering e-mails and VERY flexible in arranging traveling arrangements.

Would dive with them any day of the week and twice on a Friday!

My wife and I are going for 19 days to Bali. We're stopping at Nusa Lembongan, Tauch Terminal, Alamanda and Menjangan then on to UBUD for shopping. ANy feedback on Nusa Penida? I heard it's pretty cool ( 5ML ). I have also heard that Menjangan is not all that great because of bleaching. I've done the Komodo Dancer twice and really enjoyed it. Is there a big drop off in Flora and Fauna? I'm also planning to do Padang Bai ( Blue Lagoon, Canyon etc. ) any feedback?
Thanks for your time.
Ikepharm

I've twice dived in Bali and stayed at Tauch Terminal and will go back there the next time, but there are other other options: Mimpi Resort is a few hundred feet east of Tauch Terminal: maybe a little nicer but definitely a bit pricier at that time. Mimpi has the Coral Gardens right in front and is closest to the drop-off dive. There is another resort just next to Tauch Terminal, but can't remember the name. And then across the main road, there are a couple of other places to stay in which are probably even cheaper.

There are a few Mimpis, including one in Menjangan, so for Ikepharm, this might be an option to consider. I did not dive in Menjangan, but just to the west, I dove at a place called Secret Bay that used to be very good muck diving in very shallow water. The water temp is about 65 F tho. Best if you check with the local dive shop to seeif it's still worthwhile.

As for Nusa Penida, I dove it twice on day trips during my stays in Tauch Terminal. Tauch Terminal has a branch office in Padang Bai, so they bus you there and you board the boat there. I went in October once and in September the next time, and at that time of the year, there is a good possibility of seeing oceanic sunfish or mola-molas, which we did see. Don't know what is there to see the rest of the year. The water is indeed colder (it was around 70 when I went) and there are areas in Nusa Penida that have strong currents, sometimes in every which way.

I don't think that there is something comparable to Horseshoe Bay (Rinca) in Bali, but I still like Bali anyway, especially Tulamben, for the tranquility and the rather underrated diving there.

Would be for Mimpi. Accommodation, settings, staff and food great. I have never gone back to dive the same place twice but we are planing on going back to Mimpi.
Tauch Terminal. I have not stayed there but did go for a visit, Mimpi seems more up market but as previously stated Tauch Terminal is the closest to the Liberty, having said that my wifes favorite dive was the Coral garden, mine the drop off.

So Liberty closest-- Tauch Terminal

Coral garden)
------------ Mimpi
Drop off )

I stayed in Mimpi and loved it. The rooms are clean, well suited to divers and felt secluded.

The hotel between Mimpi and Tauch Terminal is called Paradise. I hear it is a little run down, but most guides stay there for the good price and the great post-dive facilities.

Don't forget to take a night dive over the wreck and the drop off... you will never forget it.

We stayed at the Paradise in 2002. For the price, it couldn't be beat. It was about $45/night for a room with a/c. I can't remember exactly how much the shore dives were, bit it was very cheap - including the transport of your tanks by the local ladies (we tipped them quite liberally). Definitely not luxury, but adequate and the room price included breakfast (banana pancakes). It was also very quiet with nice grounds. I don't know what the current condition of the place is though. We liked it because it was halfway between the mini wall and the wreck so you could go either way. We stayed 4 days and did only shore diving. It was great to go out in the early morning and late afternoon/evening after the daytrippers were gone. Tulamben is a good place to do a refresher. The diving is surprisingly good, yet very easy. You'll see tons of fish and critters and the wreck is picturesque and ranges from about 20 ft down to 85+ ft.

We stayed at the Paradise in 2002. For the price, it couldn't be beat. It was about $45/night for a room with a/c. I can't remember exactly how much the shore dives were, bit it was very cheap - including the transport of your tanks by the local ladies (we tipped them quite liberally). Definitely not luxury, but adequate and the room price included breakfast (banana pancakes).
It's only about $30/room now, drastic deflation over the last 7 years reflecting the general run-down state of the rooms. And the breakfast hasn't changed much.

As you say though, great location.

They've developed a fantasy website: www.paradise-tulamben.com including this quote, "All rooms are elegantly designed, with modern facilities, air conditioned, private bathrooms with shower and tub, hot and cold water, color television with satellite reception, international direct dial telephone from the room".

There's also a photo of the swimming pool on the website. You can have fun while you're there trying to find the swimming pool, color television with satellite reception etc. etc.

Great location though.

We stayed at Scuba Seraya last summer, we were booked for 5 days and were going to stay elsewhere after, but we loved it so much we stayed 11 days! The costs were very reasonable the service and location superb, and it's smaller and more intimate. The dive crew were great as well. In addition it's right at the Seraya dive site which is a fabulous macro site, you walk in right in front of your bungalow. It was only about 5 minutes by van to the Liberty wreck, Tulamben Drop-off, or Coral Garden, and about 10 minutes by boat to Batu Kelebit. We also dove Kubu and Amed while we were there. We liked it so much we're going back again this September.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom