Airfare to Manado from Los Angeles - Any good prices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlanWald

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone have any more information on good fares?

Los Angeles (LAX) to Singapore on Singapore Air and to Manado (MDC) on Silk Air (MDC). one hour stop in Narita,Tokyo and overnights in Singapore

This is what I have found out so far
From April 1, 2008 USD $1,923 until probably mid-Sept.
Depart before April 1, 2008 as low as $1,373, depending on the flight (I paid USD $1123 last year) for the one stop (one hour) in Nartia,Tokyo route (cheaper than non-stop, everyone flies out on Silk Air on the same flight to Manado and with the one stop you get more hours to rest on the ground in Singapore)

The non-stop LAX to Singapore routing will be USD $1,923.30 on the same day as the one stop via Narita (NRT) Tokyo (during the Sept-March "off-season") which costs USD $1,373.30, $550 less.

Outbound Flight
Depart Los Angeles (LAX) on Singapore Airlines(SQ) Flight SQ 11 via Nartia. overnight in Singapore and SilkAir (MI) MI 274 to Manado (MDC) two days later

Return Leave Manado on MI 273, overnight in Singapore, SQ 12 via Nartia to LAX.

I don't know how much will it cost but you can do with CX & JT
LAX-HKG-DPS-MDC instead of LAX-NRT-SIN-MDC
it's much more fun to transit in HKG airport than NRT.
and you can dive in Bali as well.

Thanks for the suggested route, but I am only in Narita, Tokyo for one hour, so it is just enough time to go through security (in the past it took me 15 minutes to walk to the internal hand luggage re-screening and back to the departure lounge) and stretch my legs. For me the LAX-NRT-SIN-MDC route is the cheapest and fastest with the best luggage allowance and connections.

An advantage of flying Singapore Airlines and it subsidiary Silk Air is that it is effectively one airline as far as baggage handling. I check my bags at LAX and don't see them again for two days until I arrive at Manado and I get the PC or Piece Concept luggage allowance often abbreviated PC or 2PC (meaning 2 pieces at 70 lbs EACH plus carryon)

PC is common in US for domestic flights (with 50 lb per bag restrictions at some airlines) and for overseas flights that originate or end in US and Canada. If I were to fly to Bali, I would lose my PC allowance for the flight to Manado and would be subject to the typical international Weight Concept (WC) baggage allowance which is typical twenty kilogram for economy class (44 pounds) (20KG is how you may see it on your ticket) More for business class/first class.

Even if you do not come on a flight with PC allowance, Silk Air does mention an extra dive gear allowance, It is hard to find on their web site

You must first look under HELP
http://www.silkair.com/mbe/en_UK/content/help/helpindex.jsp

and then under baggage allowance
SilkAir : where the world unwinds
and you will see

A 10 kg excess baggage allowance is extended for customers with diving equipment travelling to Cebu, Davao, Langkawi, Lombok, Phuket and Manado.

If you are comparing the discounted fare from last year, the fares have gone up this year due to fuel surcharges. If you are looking for discounted fares after April for essentially the same rate, check with Indonesia Promo at

Travel to Indonesia, Dive Bali, Manado Diving, Komodo, Wakatobi, Lembeh and more

I think their wholesale fare to Manado from LAX on the same flights you have mentioned is approx $1400 as opposed to the posted fare on the Singapore site of over $1900. I just booked with them on the exact flights you mentioned and was able to save a substantial amount. They are in San Jose.

Hi there,

You can contact me if you want. I can give you some quote.

Cheers,
S-

Los Angeles (LAX) to Singapore on Singapore Air and to Manado (MDC) on Silk Air (MDC). one hour stop in Narita,Tokyo and overnights in Singapore

Depart before April 1, 2008 as low as $1,373, depending on the flight (I paid USD $1123 last year) for the one stop (one hour) in Nartia,Tokyo route (cheaper than non-stop, everyone flies out on Silk Air on the same flight to Manado and with the one stop you get more hours to rest on the ground in Singapore)

The non-stop LAX to Singapore routing will be USD $1,923.30 on the same day as the one stop via Narita (NRT) Tokyo (during the Sept-March "off-season") which costs USD $1,373.30, $550 less.

Outbound Flight
Depart Los Angeles (LAX) on Singapore Airlines(SQ) Flight SQ 11 via Nartia. overnight in Singapore and SilkAir (MI) MI 274 to Manado (MDC) two days later

While fuel surcharges have increased dramatically, the underlying discounted fares to Manado have remained relatively unchanged. Working for a tour operator, I have actually seen our special contract rates drop by $50 for midweek travel. Unfortunately, Singapore Airlines has recently imposed a $100 weekend surcharge to our contract nets for any travel commencing Fri/Sat/Sun from the USA. (Return dates do not incur any surcharges).

The biggest challenge we face for Los Angeles originating passengers, is that Singapore Airline is reducing service due to the declining value of the US dollar, and transferring aircraft to more lucrative markets elsewhere. The nonstop flight will be converted into an all-Business Class configuration during the month of March. The flight that operates via Tokyo has been left alone (so far), but the flight that operates via Taipei has already been reduced to just 3 x per week, and there is a rumor that this flight will be discontinued entirely, which will mean a loss of over 1500 economy seats per week. There will be very few economy seats left available from Los Angeles. The competition for the few remaining economy class seats will result in the lowest fares selling out almost immediately.

I strongly suggest stick with Silk.....I just did a trip to Manado and Raja....I flew Garuda, Lion and Merpati....there were times sitting at those Airports for hours because of late flights and being charged up the wazoo for overweight luggage....I would of paid hundreds of $$$ more just to be either in Lembeh, Raja diving or in Singapore hanging out at the Boat Quay.

If you are comparing the discounted fare from last year, the fares have gone up this year due to fuel surcharges. If you are looking for discounted fares after April for essentially the same rate, check with Indonesia Promo at

Travel to Indonesia, Dive Bali, Manado Diving, Komodo, Wakatobi, Lembeh and more

I think their wholesale fare to Manado from LAX on the same flights you have mentioned is approx $1400 as opposed to the posted fare on the Singapore site of over $1900. I just booked with them on the exact flights you mentioned and was able to save a substantial amount. They are in San Jose.

I can second this recommendation. I have used them twice and the service was great. If anyone should decide to use them, ask for Bunny when contact them. She is great to work with.

Rickg

Outbound Flight

for narita take this into account (from nov 2007)..

Beginning Tuesday, Nov. 20, foreign nationals arriving into Japanese airports will be required to undergo additional screening according to immigration procedures. Upon arrival into the airport, foreign visitors will be instructed to scan their index fingers and immigration agents will photograph each person to obtain a facial photograph. Travelers are advised to allow extra time for this new immigration procedure in Japan.
Exemptions to this policy include any foreign visitors who are:
  • Under the age of 16 years.
  • Special status permanent residents.
  • Engaged in activities which fall under the status of residence of "diplomat" or "official government business".
  • Traveling to Japan based on an invitation by the head of any national administrative organization.

Does this apply to transit passengers??? I can not believe it would.
They are having a tough enough time processing passengers who are actually staying in Japan with waits ranging from 15-20 minutes to an hour or hour and a half.
Transit passengers at Narita get screened upon landing and then return to the Transit Lounge and then a lightly screened again to enter the plane (mainly to check for liquids)

The next low season runs from Sept 5 through Nov 20th to Manado from Los Angeles on Singapore Air.

for narita take this into account (from nov 2007)..

Beginning Tuesday, Nov. 20, foreign nationals arriving into Japanese airports will be required to undergo additional screening according to immigration procedures. Upon arrival into the airport, foreign visitors will be instructed to scan their index fingers and immigration agents will photograph each person to obtain a facial photograph. Travelers are advised to allow extra time for this new immigration procedure in Japan.
Exemptions to this policy include any foreign visitors who are:
  • Under the age of 16 years.
  • Special status permanent residents.
  • Engaged in activities which fall under the status of residence of "diplomat" or "official government business".
  • Traveling to Japan based on an invitation by the head of any national administrative organization.

Back
Top Bottom