Locations/maps/coordinates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a great thread and very timely considering a new website dedicated to this subject is now online and just opened at

www.geodiving.com

The database is working and also ties into a mapping feature which is quite handy.

It also works with shore dive locations, rallying points etc, etc...Very cool!!!

Check it out.:)

gadget once bubbled...
This is a great thread and very timely considering a new website dedicated to this subject is now online and just opened at

www.geodiving.com

The database is working and also ties into a mapping feature which is quite handy.

I had a look. It only gives degrees and minutes no seconds or 10ths of minutes (unless I'm doing something wrong). That's only going to put you within a mile of the wreck. Leaves a lot of territory to explore.
Aside from that, great concept.
On the navigation end, it's important to note that 44 10" 30' is NOT the same position as 44 10.30" there are 60 seconds in a minute (it would actually be the same as 44 10.50"). Newer charts use degrees, minutes, 10ths of minutes (or 100ths), older charts used degrees minutes seconds, most GPS can be programmed to use either.

IceFrog once bubbled...
Hi Groundhog246..

As per your comment, Changes have been made on the database so that it shows all digits of the Coordinates. It was designed so that only registered users would see the whole coordinates but to reduce confusion that's been changed.

I wondered if that might be the case. I note that only registered users can see the complete lat/long would have sufficed and encouraged those such as me to register (I probably will anyway).

Currently the system only supports entries in decimal notation, but support will be shortly added to support degrees minutes seconds and decimal variations of such.

I can work in either. Perhaps an area than does conversions and keep it all in the same (decimal) notation, rather than mixing types.

A lot of the numbers on the geodiving site are wrong, in fact all the Kingston area ones are. So be careful. The proper numbers for Kingston are the ones I posted early.

Great Work IceFrog.

I know the book you mean -- the one with "some dubious" numbers... watch the depth ratings given in it too.

Thanks for the hard work

Nice work Frogxman, what a gold mine of info!!

Heres a good reference for the wrecks in the great lakes region...
Michigan Shipwrecks Site

Dive safe!
:snorkel:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom