Brand new A570IS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

terfmop

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
After reading around on this forum, I decided on the Canon A570 IS. Unfortunately for me, I live in the currently cold Midwest, so i'll have to wait before testing out this camera u/w.

I'm an average picture taker.....meaning, I usually take snap shots using the AUTO function. I'd like to learn to use the other functions listed on the camera to improve the u/w shots. I read Alcina's sticky at the top, some good info for a beginner like me. I've been playing around with the various features in the 'M' mode.....sometimes the pics look good, other times they look bad.

I am curious though about the Av and Tv settings. If a photographer is going to manually adjust either the aperature or shutter speed, why not just use the 'M' setting? Is it personal preference, or is there a different situation where you would use Av over Tv?

terfmop

I am definitely no expert, but the basic difference is that in av or tv mode the camera is still metering and finding the exposure for you. The camera will choose either the shutter speed (av mode) or aperture (tv mode) according to the camera's meter. In manual mode you must set both the aperture and shutter speed. Therefore you are completely choosing the exposure.

Hey, I'm in the Upper Midwest and I'm going diving next week! Remember, it's warmer under the ice than above it!!

After reading around on this forum, I decided on the Canon A570 IS. Unfortunately for me, I live in the currently cold Midwest, so i'll have to wait before testing out this camera u/w.

I'm an average picture taker.....meaning, I usually take snap shots using the AUTO function. I'd like to learn to use the other functions listed on the camera to improve the u/w shots. I read Alcina's sticky at the top, some good info for a beginner like me. I've been playing around with the various features in the 'M' mode.....sometimes the pics look good, other times they look bad.

I am curious though about the Av and Tv settings. If a photographer is going to manually adjust either the aperature or shutter speed, why not just use the 'M' setting? Is it personal preference, or is there a different situation where you would use Av over Tv?

Here is a copied post I had given to others about this camera.....good luck with it, any questions, please get back.....

"Here you go, ............I shoot my A570 on Av & leave the ISO on 80 all the time(the lowest it has)......so basically all I'm changing is the F-stop, start @ about 5 & go down to about 2.8? when & if I get a chance to bracket......Try to use macro all the time & flash unless I'm shooting toward the surface or near the surface where I take advantage of ambient lite and use no flash at all.....The only time I'll change from this is when shooting silhouettes(directly into the sun) & I'll put my F-stop as high as the camera goes, I think around 8 something(don't have the camera in front of me)----in the old days, used F-22 on my 35 mm S&S MM II.....

btw, I use no strobe(in the below pictures), only the camera's internal flash........good luck......also, alcina gave me most of this info....try to find one of her posts here on SB, she's got alot more info in her sig & remember---she's the Canon guru here, if she speaks, you listen.........GEAUX TIGERS....."

EDIT:..I noticed I said nothing about white balance etc.I use manuel white balance half the time, the other half I use the UW (fish icon) setting.On nite dives(& the pics turn out very good) I simplify it even more(due to not much lighting available), I put it on SCN with the Underwater setting ie truely a Point & Shoot!!!!....

Sound advice and I'll certainly try some of these tips with my new AS570. I'll also look out Alcina's advice. BTW - your picture gallery is awesome. Thanks for sharing..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom