Mares Nemo Wide - Audible Alarms Not Working

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NigelTopham

Registered
Reaction score
Mares Nemo Wide - Audible Alarms Not Working

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The audible alarms on my Mares Nemo Wide do not work. In particular, the following functions described in the user manual do not work:

"If the diver does not ascend when the residual time
has expired, Nemo Wide switches to “decompression
stop” mode, indicated by the appearance of the
“deco” message and by an audible alarm."

"When the no-decompression time
remaining is one minute, an audible alarm
is sounded to indicate that the diver is
about to exceed the no-decompression
limits."

"When the diver approaches a
deep stop, Nemo Wide sounds an audible alarm
and the “DEEP STOP” message appears on the
display bar."

The computer was returned to my retailer in September, and they sent it to the UK distributer (Head?). The distributer returned it to the retailer in December with the indication "no fault found".

The retailer has now himself tested the unit in a smimming pool, and agreed that it is faulty. He has also tested other new units from his stock and found that they also have this fault.

The computer has also exhibited another fault. When set to Nitrox (EAN) mode, and then set to the planning mode, the display shows "AIR 33%" (or whatever the chosen percentage is) instead of "EAN 33%". This fault is intermittent, but the retailer has observed the fault on other new models. When the computer was returned to my retailer, a photo of this screen was given to him. Again the computer was returned from the UK distributer as "no fault found".

The serial number of the computer is 005463 and the Quality Control number is 109.

I have several questions:
What's the the quickest way to get the computer repaired?
How are the audible alarms tested by the distributer or manufacturer?
Have other people experienced either of these problems?

My retailer has offered my an alternative computer in exchange, but I have not yet seen any other computer that can match the large screen and easy to use buttons of the Nemo Wide. I would just like it to work as it should.

Have you actually gotten yourself into a DECO situation where the computer should alarm?

How could your retailer test the unit for this fault in a swimming pool? It would seem to me that you could not get to DECO, not to mention have the computer require you to do a "DEEP STOP".

I know I had an early NEMO Wide that had an intermittent problem, that was finally traced to a bad solder connection - Mares replaced my original computer and tested the faulty one several times before they found the problem (it seemed to occur on the second dive of the day, when I did a giant stride entry - hard to duplicate until one of their techs took it diving).

I'm sure Zak and Phil will have some suggestions.

I'm just curious about the problem, since I have never seen it, but then again, I've never even come close to DECO in almost 100 dives with the computer.

TN Trabeler, Yes, I have got myself into a situation where the computer should alarm. When I realised that the alarms were not working I deliberately sat on the seabed with the computer next to my ear waiting to go into deco.
The retailer did rapid ascents in the pool to test the alarm.
Do you have a Nemo Wide and do your alarms work?

All the alarms on my Nemo Wide work fine - I got annoyed at the rapid accent alarm, so I turned off the audible alarms.

Have you checked your computer to see if the audible alarms are turned off?

Nigel,

I spoke to my counterpart in the UK. He told me your unit was tested at the factory and it performed correctly. I will PM you his contact information, he said to get in touch with him and he will have it checked again.

Thanks,

Phil

Phil, I appreciate your follow up on this. I will do as you suggest and let you know the outcome.
Thanks, Nigel

Phil,
The UK representative has now contacted me and put in process some actions that should lead to a satidfactory result. Thanks for your help.
Regards, Nigel

Back
Top Bottom