Din or Yoke what do you use and why

What do U use ?

• DIN

Votes: 65 71.4%
  • YOKE

Votes: 32 35.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

300bar

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
After reading some threads on din/yoke adaptors it got me wondering what are SB divers using.

I use DIN, because it's easy to carry a Din-Yoke Adapter, so you get the best of both.

Din or Yoke what do you use and why?

DIN, because it's superior in every every possible respect, with the only possible exception being that there are some locations that don't realize that DIN is superior in every possible respect.

:14:

All the regs that I use are DIN, although I somehow ended up with an extra yoke first stage, but I have the DIN conversion for it :wink:

I do have a DIN adapter in my toolbox, although I don't see a need for it. I also have the original yokes that came with my regs, so if I know in advance that I am going someplace that has yoke tanks, I just swap out the DIN piece for the yoke. This happens only once or twice a year and only for single tank diving.

My singles regs are yoke, because a) I bought them right after OW, and bought yoke regs, and b) most of my single tank diving is travel, and most travel places seem to have yoke tanks.

My doubles regs are DIN, because it's harder to dislodge DIN first stages if you hit them on something (like the roof of the cave), and because the o-ring may be a little more secure in a DIN connection. A lot of technical and cave divers use DIN connectors for similar reasons.

I am mainly DIN but my double hose regulator does not lend itself to DIN so I'm a hybrid.

I favored DIN as it is a more solid connection. I am sealing with MY o-ring not one that has been kicked around when in a rental situation.

In the interest of fairness DIN is not a panacea.
* Running a DIN connection means valve threads are mated twice per dive, to fill and make the dive. The fill event may be with a dive shop whip of dubious cleanliness an thread profile/condition. On my 3442 cylinders I always install my inserts and have them filled on yoke whips. This way the dive shop mates to my cylinder but does not engage my threads

*For the non mechanically inclined mating a DIN connection with hoses hanging from the first stage is sometimes a challenge. Remember that this is brass and damage can happen fast.

* If sand gets to a DIN valve or swivel connector the clean-up is more detailed.

* In handling the fairly thin wall of the many female DIN valve ports can get dinged and distorted to where it will not accept a regulator. Some try to mitigate this with metallic valve port plugs. We won't talk about the possibility of a wrench being taken to this delicate part of the valve.

In the end I do think the DIN is a better connection but it is not without some downsides.

For travel I replace our DIN valve connectors with the yoke version. The adapters make our Sherwood longer than I prefer to dive with as well as introducing an extra failure point.

Pete

My doubles regs are DIN, because it's harder to dislodge DIN first stages if you hit them on something (like the roof of the cave), and because the o-ring may be a little more secure in a DIN connection. A lot of technical and cave divers use DIN connectors for similar reasons.

I remember running into a submerged tree once and hitting the crown of my tank pretty solidly. I was looking down and never saw it coming. I was glad that I did not have a yoke screw sticking up there that day.

Pete

Converting all tanks to DIN and have din Regs and adaptors for those that are not. Better system all around.

For Doubles Din is in! better for hose routing and reducing the size of the first stage (no knobs out the back).

Most shops where I go have din whips for filling.

I also have the inserts just in case or if the whip threads are messed.

Dive dive dive !!!

The tiny amount of gear I have is yoke by tradition as much as anything else.

If I were gearing up today I would go DIN for most everything.
More compact and streamlined is reason enough but also stronger and besides,
they look cooler. :D

Why pick just one! :D

My regs are yolk. However I will likely switch over as many of my buddies are using DIN, and I am looking at going to doubles.

However when I say switch over, what I mean is that I will likely convert my Zeagle to a DIN, and get a converter. From that point I'll get K valves for any new tanks, and then I can dive either setup.

I think DIN exclusively is a bad idea just because it's not very popular at most resort destinations. I don't want to have to rent a reg because I'm too hardheaded to be able to do either.

Back
Top Bottom