Travel to Egypt for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bring gear that you are comfortable with .

camel bar and hotel are in a great place , center of the main town of sharm . Camel bar monkey nuts / peanuts are the a must with your bottle of sakahara beer .

sharm has a planet holywood and many other american style night spots .

and dont forget to smoke the dried fruit in one of the many chill out shops .

camel bar and hotel are in a great place , center of the main town of sharm . Camel bar monkey nuts / peanuts are the a must with your bottle of sakahara beer .
nothing tastes better than a cold beer in a warm evening, after a day spent on diving :D
sharm has a planet holywood and many other american style night spots .
That I would not consider as an advantage :blinking:
and dont forget to smoke the dried fruit in one of the many chill out shops .[/QUOTE]
Good idea - but make sure You visit Omar, the Master of Shisha in Dahab. Look him at Youtube for a virtual lesson of smoking shisha

I was planning to go to the Red Sea this winter, but it looks like I won't make it (sigh). My decision (as decided as it is at this point) has nothing to do with safety issues. My friends who live and work there all have assured me that there is probably less danger than I'll be facing when I travel to Lost Angeles next weekend.

Unfortunately my "decision" is based on time constraints and unanticipated scheduled events, the serious decline of the US dollar, and my meager budget. I should have invested in the Euro when I first thought about it.

I appreciate all the replies. If the kids go, I will also go!!! Another question, they were thinking of going a couple of days early and seeing the pyramids. Is traveling to Cairo and then to the pyramids also safe?

Regards,

Bill

Yes, very safe. The only real danger is the dirty dirty air, and traffic chaos in Cairo. Also the flights between Sharm and Cairo are dirt cheap. We paid ~$115USD for two return tickets between Cairo and Sharm.

You won't have any safety worries. For the last two years, I have had groups of American friends come out to Egypt with me and we've had no issues whatsoever. I am taking more with me this July on a liveaboard out of Hurghada.

The Camel Hotel and Dive Centre are top-quality, and I have been with them several times. Bang in the middle of Na'ama Bay, so excellent base from which to explore, and the Camel Bar and Roof Bar are the main social hangouts. Definitely try the Sakara Gold lager and an apple shisha.

Yes, there is a Pizza Hut, Hard Rock Cafe, McDonalds and now even a bloody Starbucks in Na'ama Bay, but why travel all that way and eat at establishments you have at home. There are lots of great places to eat which are well priced, offer tasty food and yet aren't chain restaurants/fast food.

Have fun! I've been to Egypt some 30 times in the last eight years and I love the place. The diving is awesome!

Mark

Ditto to what everyone has said about the safety and quality of diving. The ONLY bad thing in Sharm is the number of freekin low class Russians (although there are some fine lookin Russian women)!!!! Based on our experience I would put the mix at 80% Russian, 10% Italian and 10% other.

BTW, the hammerhead pic was taken off Jackson Reef, Straits of Tiran!!

Don't forget to bring planty of sun protection cream :)

Enjoy and come to tell us how it was.

Last time in Taba I had American buddy. He told me Egypt is fine for him and he feels there safe. Have good diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom