Anyone use Sand Dollar Sports?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i am planning a trip in march and i will be diving with sand dollar for seven two tank days and three night dives

When in March? We'll be there the 12th through 19th. I'm still deciding whether
to dive with Sand Dollar or not. Opinions really seem to vary in this thread. I'm
usually pretty loyal to Deep Blue when in Cozumel but the convenience of going
with the on site operator sounds pretty good. What's the final verdict on timed
dives or everyone surfacing with the first diver to run low on air? That could be
a deal breaker. Obviously I've never gone with Sand Dollar so I'm not passing
any judgement, but I'd really like to hear more opinions to help me make up my
mind......

Either way, maybe we'll see you there. :)

When in March? We'll be there the 12th through 19th. I'm still deciding whether
to dive with Sand Dollar or not.

I wouldn't wait much longer to make up my mind...that's Spring Break time and MANY shops are already booked up for that time frame. If you want to dive with your operator of choice, I would book something ASAP.

I wouldn't wait much longer to make up my mind...that's Spring Break time and MANY shops are already booked up for that time frame. If you want to dive with your operator of choice, I would book something ASAP.

That's good to know. I've always waitied until we're there to book including during
spring break a couple times and never been turned away, but if you advise it, I'll
get right on it. :)

I'm new to this board and haven't been out with you before, but you're highly recomended around here so I've been thinking pretty seriously about looking
you up if we decide not to go with the onsite operator. :thumb:

That's good to know. I've always waited until we're there to book including during
spring break a couple times and never been turned away, but if you advise it, I'll
get right on it. :)

I'm new to this board and haven't been out with you before, but you're highly recomended around here so I've been thinking pretty seriously about looking
you up if we decide not to go with the onsite operator. :thumb:

Well, as I said...it depends on who you want to go with. I'm not saying you won't find someone to dive with that week without reservations, but it may not be your first, second or even third choice.

Thanks for the kind words, but I'm actually booked for half of your days...Spring Break for us books up really early.

I've only had 2 experiences with Sand Dollar and they were back in the early years of my diving before I knew any different. With that said, They were safe. They were reef conscious. They had 2 set reefs their boats went to each day of the week. You pick either the AM or PM boats, but you don't pick the reefs. Both trips, we were told which night of the week to do our night dive on, and both times the boat was crowded with what ended up being 3 different dive groups in the water all on the same reef. They did drop us off at intervals, BUT you know that with drift diving some people drift faster than others and caught up to other groups.... NOT GOOD. They also request you begin your ascent @ 700psi, but we never had to go up as a group when the first person got to 700psi. Needless to say, I've learned A LOT since those days and have chosen to spend my diving money on different dive ops where I'm not a number.
Go with an open mind and you can find it a learning experience not to be repeated or one you want to repeat....Have fun and be sure to report back.

PS, I'm by no means slamming Sand Dollar. My dive log on those 2 trips is packed with fun memories for 12 and 17 dives on those 2 trips. I enjoyed myself, and dove my heart out and have no regrets. I've just changed my expectations with growing knowledge over the years I've continued to dive.

i just got back.. yup just walked in the door.. loved the dive op loved the dives and loved the reef no morer than 9 on the boat gabriel is a great dm

I would not use Sand Dollar if I were you.
There are better ones like Palancar Reef or Aqua Safari.

Sand dollar ripped me off by charging me more than what is stated on their price sheet. I did not find out when i was still at wyndham because they charged me in pesos, but also wrote on the customer receipt that it is usd$484. However the pesos converted into $520 and the credit card company would not dispute it.

Pool was murky, and classes were unstructured and chaotic. The instructor did not emphasize safety, pretty much deflated my BCD to "sink me" (i'm quoting him) even though I wasn't comfortable going down yet as water was getting into my snorkel mask. I couldn't balance as the weights were unevenly distributed and when i asked for help, i was told that it's ok since i wouldn't be able to balance underwater anyway. Who is he kidding?

They mixed "open certification" class with "discover scuba" and do not practice the buddy system. So unless you are already experienced, this is certainly not a dive operator i would recommend, and given that they were dishonest, even if I were to become experienced in the future, i would never ever use them.

verdict? I decided not to continue with the class, but instead of crediting my credit card, they gave me cash refund because they said they couldn't do the credit charge. now i know why, it's because they overcharged me. consider yourself warned.

This week with them has been somewhat of a mixed experience. We prepaid for six days of diving for four relatively experienced divers--350 or so dives each. We requested and got their six passenger boat for five of the six days, but on three of the days they added some less experienced divers--20 dives. This had some minor adverse impact on the diving, but not severe, since they had obviously been very well trained.

They also have a rigid dive schedule both sites and bottom times and won't deviate unless you have a large group like Jeff, who posted earlier in this thread, and who we dove with in December with great results and will be diving with in July.

But...back to the schedule...Friday is Santa Rosa and Punta Tunich and in my less than professional opinion, they are no where near as recovered from Wilma as the Palancar sites. Bottom time was also a major disappointment as the guide started signaling for a three minute safety stop at about 40 minutes on the second dive and I still had about 1400 PSI left.

After this week, I tend to agree with the other posters who recommend other, more personalized operators unless you have a large enough group to get some concessions on sites and bottom time.

The staff members are all very helpful and friendly--they just want to follow that rigid schedule to get ready for the 1:00 PM dives.

I am sure there are lots of quality dive operators on Cozumel that do a great job and unforeseen problems occur with all businesses. I send divers regularly to Sand Dollar and have never had any complaints.

I dove with Sand Dollar last week and never heard a word of discontent from any of the divers. They gave you the option of larger stable boats with bathrooms, or smaller ones with only a few divers. They never put more than 8 divers to a divemaster and there were not any bottom time regulations other than what would be considered industry standards. It was great being able to hand my gear to their staff to rinse and store when I returned, then have it waiting for me when I returned the next morning to dive.

With all this concern over Sand Dollar Sports I contact one of the largest Caribbean dive travel tour operators and asked their opinion and this is what they said:
I have never had a single complaint about Sand Dollar, and in fact all the groups I've send there LOVE them.

Underwater photos of Cozumel by Scuba One Travel

i will be in cuzumel next month,at the wyndam they have sand dollar sports as there in house dive center ... any comments would be greatley apprieciated

we have dove with them 3 times and will be diving with them again march 31 thru carnival we ahve great drift diving with them and they are awesome....

Back
Top Bottom