Diving at Couples Swept Away - Negril, Jamaica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDebbie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
We just recently got back from our 2 week wedding-moon at Couples Swept Away in Negril, Jamaica. It was amazing. The wedding was perfect, but that review belongs on a wedding forum.. hehe. The resort was perfect, but that review belongs on Trip Advisor (which I will get to for sure). So here I want to say a bit about the diving.

This was our second trip to Jamaica and our first time to Negril. The first time we were in Montego Bay and did some diving there. Now, as you can gather, this trip was primarily about our wedding, but we did find time to get about 8 or 10 dives in too.
We really enjoyed it ! Just having been in the Caymans in Nov/Dec, we thought we would be sorely disappointed, but we weren't at all.

The dive staff at this resort are just awesome. What a great bunch of guys. We really enjoyed diving with them. They were easy going and fun, but yet professional and safe. They took a max. of 12 divers, but I don't know it was ever that full (always people canceling). The boat was big enough it never felt crowded. Except for Sat. it was 1 tank at a time. All the sites were super close. It went out for a 9:00 am dive with certified divers, then another around 10:30 with resort divers and/or students. Then it went again at 1:30 with certified divers. We usually did one dive or the other, leaving the rest of the day for the beach, or sailing, or one of the many other activities included there.

The water was warm and the viz was great. The conditions were ideal and easy. It was nice and calm on the surface, especially in the mornings. I have great memories of the boat skimming out over glass like water, in the brilliant morning sunshine, with Bob Marley playing. We often had just a little bit of a current running enough to make it an easy drift dive. We never had to swim to the boat. They'd always bring it right over to us. Sure, the profiles were a bit short and shallow (30-40 min. and max. 95 feet or so for the deep plane, and usually more like 65 feet) but you know what, it was just nice and easy and super relaxing for beach vacation diving.

As for the sea life, well... we dove with dolphins on our very first dive! There was 3 or 4 of them trying to get into a trap that had a live eel in it (poor thing). The dolphins kept rolling the cage around, and they'd look at us like... "you have thumbs, open the damn thing will you?" They let us get to just our of arms reach. That's a first for me. We saw dolphins in the water in Maui but they took off in a flash. These ones stuck around, unworried about our presence. Later in the dive we saw more (or maybe the same ones?) It was incredible. Unfortunately, first dive and we didn't get a chance to stick our cameras in our housings! Figures!!!

We missed the dives with shark sightings, and one of the instructors 'petting' a nurse shark under a ledge. Otherwise we saw a couple of turtles now and then, a few smaller rays, lobster, crab, the odd eel.... lots of fish, but mostly smaller. Really big fish were the only thing we saw in the Caymans that we didn't see here. We did one dive with a little cave and short shoot/chimney thingie, but no lengthy/mostly enclosed swim-throughs. ( I really hated all the Cayman swim throughs - not MY thing). We found the reefs to be in good shape. We went snorkeling with non-divers in our group and saw even more life. Decent snorkeling for non-divers.

All in all I still wouldn't say it's the most fabulous location for a dive vacation, and divers looking for a hard core dive trip would be disappointed. But it still beats a lot of places, (like cold, murky home), and is really nice tied in with one of the best places around for a beach vacation.

Couples Swept Away is a gorgeous resort, on a fabulous beach, with delicious food, loads of inclusions, and some of the nicest, friendliest people you ever want to meet. The service was impeccable. I highly recommend this resort.

:useless:

:d and thanks for the report! great to hear about places i havent dived... yet :D

DiverDeb - nice report and having approximately 50 dives at that resort with that dive team... I AGREE.

I was just sent these photos by our good friend Anthony of that dive team and I believe they were taken during the time Diver Debbie was there.

Not to hijack Debbie's thread but plenty of dive pics from Couples Swept Away at Jon & Tara's Site.

It really is very nice diving. Certainly not world-class but very nice. What a great combination vacation.

Jon

Attachments

• Dive%20Negril%2020.01.08%2008.JPG
    Dive%20Negril%2020.01.08%2008.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 506
  • Dive%20Negril%2020.01.08%2008a.JPG
    Dive%20Negril%2020.01.08%2008a.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 491
ohhhh... I love the dolphins! Thanks Jon :) Unfortuantely, I'm not in either photo, but they're great shots. I like the way the dolphin is "smiling at the camera" in the first one. If the date's are right, it's a day off, as we saw the dolphins on the 7th... which would mean MORE sightings!

Anthony's a great guy (and he'll probably read this, as I know he does read some forum's... hahaha :wink: ...also, Franz (who will be a fabulous instructor one day soon), Shaggy, Wade ("Captain Jack Sparrow") and Shrek... awesome bunch :) Can hardly wait to return "home"

Greetings Debbie,

I am so glad you posted comments on Couples Swept Away Resort in Negril. My wife an I will be going there on April 20th with a group of friends. I am the only diver in the group, but hope to get in as much diving as possible.

I will be bringing most of my own equipment, would you recommend a shorty? Any "must" dive excursions that you would recommend?

Again thank you for the very informative post and congratulations on your wedding. Have a great day
Mike

Mike,

Hi. I just got back from Negril and would recommend a dive site called "Arches". Deep plane was also cool. I really liked it--lots of cool swim-throughs. Very pretty site. The water was 81F. I dove in a 3mm full wet suit (I am always cold). If you are going to do more than 1 dive a day, I would recommend the shortie.

Thanks Oceancat,

Will put Arches and the deep plane on my must do list. I think I will do the same as you and use my 3mm full wet suit. Did you do any shore dives? A number of years ago,
(over 30, [no that can't be]) I went to a Dive Hotel in Jamaica called Chalet Caribe. Most of the dives were off shore and they were fantastic. (Wall dives) The hotel is not there anymore but would love to re-visit that spot.

Again thanks for your reply,
Mike

I have photos of both planes (deep and shallow), the Arches, and the Negril Boat Wreck on my Negril photos page. I took a group to the Chalet Caribe Hotel, outside of Montego Bay, 25 years ago and we made those same shore dives. The last time I checked, the couple that ran the diving at Chalet Caribe still had a dive operation in Montego Bay.

Underwater Negril photos
Sucba One Travel - Negril Jamaica Underwater photos

Runaway Bay Underwater Photos

Well, I am glad you didn't get swept away which I thought you were going to say and all.... sounds like a nice place, not what I expected about Jamaica. I would go there just at the chance of seeing dolphins u/w.
Thanks for the review.

I spent my honeymoon at Swept Away and loved it (back in 2006). I thought the resort was a little too quiet but, on the other hand, quiet was nice.

I did my OW course with Shaw. He was a fantastic instructor. Did you meet Shaw? The reason I ask is because I was going to bring him a new wet suit as a thanks for all he did for me and my wife. I was brand new to diving and didn't know that we should have tipped the dive crew. His suit looked as if it had been chewed on by a dozen turtles.

I tried emailing him but didn't get a response.

I will be back to bloody Bay in March to do my rescue diver and master scuba diver with Sundivers. I was hoping to hook up with Shaw.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom