Kayak diving tips and tricks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well went to bed prayed for a little wind:shakehead: maybe I should have told God how much wind I needed or wanted in knot wise:rofl3: It was a bit to windy so I waited for it to calm down got out still to much wind for a first timer. At one point I was going to fast I got scared and thought OMG:scared: I'm going to die, I forgot what to do when you want to slow down, how to turn it away from the wind, to use the hand drive thing. OMG it was something that I will never forget. At one point when I thought I was going to die was when my sail caught a wind and one potoon was in the water and the other was out I was hauling booty across the bite here in Long Key. The only thing that kept me somewhat ok was that I knew the bite is not blue water and most is pretty shallow no more than 12' most places.

But would I do it again HECK YEAH !!!! I had so much fun and now that I came out of it alive I am ready to buckle down and figure it out:59:

At one point I was going to fast I got scared and thought OMG:scared: I'm going to die, :

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:I especially love the hair on that smilie!

I have been kayaking & canoeing for a while now but, I have absolutly no experience with sailing. A friend of mine was getting rid of a small, 1-2 person sail boat & asked me if I would give it a good home, so I took it in. I haven't tried it out yet but I have a feeling I'll probably encounter a similar experience. I gotta find that smilie with the hair cuz I think I'm gonna need it!

Enjoy your new toy but remember, it's kinda like snow skiing, the most important skill to learn is how to stop! :D

:rofl3: OMG who told you about that:rofl3: It was funny though my friend Evelyn was trying to stop me before I went into that ice covered pond and as she was picking me up she was laughing so hard she said oops I said what:confused: she said I think I tinkled my pants we were laghing so hard I had to take off the snowboard before I could get up.:rofl3: Man word travels fast on this board:rofl3:

When you come my way I will let you give it a try, I'll make sure I have a camera ready for that same look I think I had.:wink:

:rofl3: OMG who told you about that:rofl3: It was funny though my friend Evelyn was trying to stop me before I went into that ice covered pond and as she was picking me up she was laughing so hard she said oops I said what:confused: she said I think I tinkled my pants we were laghing so hard I had to take off the snowboard before I could get up.:rofl3: Man word travels fast on this board:rofl3:

When you come my way I will let you give it a try, I'll make sure I have a camera ready for that same look I think I had.:wink:

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:Actually, I hadn't heard about it. :rofl3::rofl3: I just know from personal experience!:D

For a kayak and especially a small sailboat an afternoon with a good instructor can be a tremendous value both in safety and sanity.

While I don't expect to dive again, kayaking and sailing are on my list.
I would be happy to join and ride herd of the boats while others dive.

I have been compared to Ratty, "There is nothing, absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as messing around in boats."

Hoo boy, I sure wish you had a video of that, Becky! :D

Hoo boy, I sure wish you had a video of that, Becky! :D

I know we can buy a 4500 to 5000 dollar kayak but we don't own a video recorder or a underwater camera go figure.:shakehead: That's next on my list and than how to put them on here. You guys would be amazed at some of the things we get ourselves into. We could keep this board laughing all the time.

I have been carrying a soft cooler on my kayak to store things in like drinks, uw camera, video camera, etc. I just picked up this crate mate to use in place of my soft cooler. This works out really well because I can carry everything that I used to carry in my soft cooler plus I can keep my dive flag in one of the rod holders, my tickle stick in another rod holder, breakdown pole spear in another, etc. I like to carry a giant size dive flag, that also flies higher than your typical flag, because of the heavy boat traffic in the area and the big flag has always been a headache to carry on the kayak but the crate mate solves this problem. I got a chance to use it this past weekend and it worked out reall well. Just thought I would pass this along in case anyone else could use one :). I bought mine from Kayak Jeff on Dania Beach Blvd.
-Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom