[regulators] Proton vs. Abyss and 42 vs. 32 vs. 22

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xose

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hi,

main differences ?

Mares web page does not brings a very clear information.

-thanks-

I'm sure Zak or Phil will provide more detailed information - but I can provide it from a user standpoint.

The MR22 and V32 1st stages breathe the same - I think the V32 is basically an MR22 on a diet - removing excess metal. I have both and cannot tell a difference between them - using the same 2nd stages. I use a V32 for travel - saving a few ounces.

My wife just got a MR42T - it is smaller (in fact tiny) and she says it breathes even better than her V32 Proton Metal. I can't give you my opinion since she says the only way I can use it is to pry it out of her cold, dead hands It also uses a standard 3/8" fitting/hose for the primary 2nd stage - where the MR22 and V32 use a 1/2" connection/hose.

There is no difference in the Abyss 2nd stages prior to the 2008 model. The covers change, so the look changes, but the insides are the same. The 2008 model is lighter and there is a new opening on the side that allows adjustment to the lever height from the outside, as is done on the Proton's. This means you don't have to remove the cover/diaphragm to make the adjustment - not sure this is a big deal.

As far as differences in breathing on the 2nd stages - I can't find much, if any. I use a Proton Ice (Metal) and Abyss for 2nd stages and they breathe the same, as long as they are setup properly - maybe the Abyss breathes a little bit easier(and that my be in my head) - but on the bench, they are identical. I like the longer exhaust T on the Abyss - since I like to take pictures and it provides slightly less bubble interference. The sculpted exhaust T on the Proton Metals does a very good job of dispersing bubbles - there is just not that big of a difference. I will say that a Plastic Proton 2nd we used did not breathe quite as easily as the Proton Metal - but I'm not sure it was ever "tuned" as well.

I have never detected a bit of difference in breathing effort from any of the Mares reg combination from 20ft to 120ft - absolutely constant.

I guess, if I could pick and choose - based upon my wife's reaction (and she is very perceptive) - I'd buy a MR42T and mate it with a new Abyss 2nd - keeping the Proton Metal 2nd for my octo.

You can't go wrong with any of the 3 or combination.

I'm sure Zak or Phil will provide more detailed information - but I can provide it from a user standpoint.

thank you. I already read your others messages in the forum.

But I am looking for technical data and main differences.

Why should I buy Proton instead Abyss? or 32 instead 22 or 42 ?

-thanks-

Hi these two files should give most of the technical data.

Apart from the technical characteristics, some of the reasons you would purchase one over the other is going to be personal preference. 42 1st stage is the smallest and lightest which is nice for travel and wearing. Proton 2nd stages are again smaller and lighter. Abyss is great design and great breather and with the new 2nd stage design it looks cool IMO. Do you prefer the look of one over the other? Some prefer the wider exhaust tee on the Abyss.

At the end of the day they are all great regs, some perform a little better than others and have a slightly different weight and design. Honestly I like the new Abyss 42 configuration for myself.

Hope this helps some.

P.S. Sorry about the resolution on the documents. I had to really compress them to upload.

Best,

Attachments

• Regulator comparison.doc
    186 KB · Views: 249
  • Regulator stats.doc
    109 KB · Views: 228
At the end of the day they are all great regs, some perform a little better than others and have a slightly different weight and design. Honestly I like the new Abyss 42 configuration for myself.

Thank you. Ramon Verdaguer,SPV Mares HEAD SPAIN , sent me the Spanish Product Guide.

regads,

Don't know what you mean by "middle of the road model"?

The 42 is a totally new model in many ways, smaller, different hose connection - but still using most of the same internals (ie seat poppet). And it breathes like a dream.

The 22 and 32 are almost identical, except the 32 has some of the metal from the body cut away. I can't tell any difference in the breathing between the two.

The 22 traditionally came with the Abyss 2nd stage - all metal and a little larger. It is a design that has been around a long time - tried and true - and bulletproof. The covers on the Abyss have changed over the years - but it is primarily cosmetic - and you can fit new covers to older units. Mares has made improvements over the years - changing the poppet and seat, but all the older units can be upgraded to the latest technology for about $50 in parts.

The 32 traditionally came with the Proton type second stages - either plastic or metal. These are smaller 2nd stages. The internals of the 32 are the same as the 22 - and the same upgrades are available.

Now they have a 42 with a proton Metal or an Abyss 2nd stage - which I have a feeling will be an outstanding combination.

I think Mares "middle of the road" reg is the V16 Proton Metal - as opposed to the 12, which I would call their lower end.

The 22, 32 and 42 are all top performers and will exceed anything a diver ever needs. IMHO!!!

The 22 and 32 are almost identical, except the 32 has some of the metal from the body cut away. I can't tell any difference in the breathing between the two.

The 22 traditionally came with the Abyss 2nd stage - all metal and a little larger. It is a design that has been around a long time - tried and true - and bulletproof. The covers on the Abyss have changed over the years - but it is primarily cosmetic - and you can fit new covers to older units. Mares has made improvements over the years - changing the poppet and seat, but all the older units can be upgraded to the latest technology for about $50 in parts.

The 32 traditionally came with the Proton type second stages - either plastic or metal. These are smaller 2nd stages. The internals of the 32 are the same as the 22 - and the same upgrades are available.

The new MR22T 2oo8 model is lighter than MR32T, 815gr. vs 856gr. INT version. And MR42T is 646gr. : http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/3407032-post30.html

regards,

I'm pretty sure the new 08 Abyss 42 is going to be my personal reg of choice. :) They should be here any day.

Best,

Zak

The new MR22T 2oo8 model is lighter than MR32T, 815gr. vs 856gr. INT version. And MR42T is 646gr. : http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/3407032-post30.html

regards,

Glad you have the info on the 2008 versions - my 22's and 32's are all over 2 years old - so my comments were based on personnal experience.

Wish I could affortd an 08 Abyss 42 - but my reg budget got spent on my wife's new 42. :sad: Maybe next year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom