Best way? tool?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barracuda2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
What's the best way to trim the neck seal on my new DUI? It's the latex style with rings. I need to trim two or three rings for fit and I'm afraid of doing something that may ruin it. Should I use a razor blade? scissors? Should I fit it over a round gallon jug then trim? My LDS did the initial trim with scissors and it turned out a little ragged. Any suggestions deeply appreciated.

I would stretch the seal over a 1 liter pop bottle and then trim with a sharp razor blade. Be careful that you don't cut to many rings off it right away as the material will give some, and you can't glue the rings back on if you go overboard.

I would stretch the seal over a 1 liter pop bottle and then trim with a sharp razor blade. Be careful that you don't cut to many rings off it right away as the material will give some, and you can't glue the rings back on if you go overboard.

Right now, when I put it on, it doesn't take but a few minutes and my face is red and I can really feel the pressure. I'm going to cut two more rings and then put it on for a while to see how it feel then. Maybe I should stretch it over a bottle and let it sit for a while then try it on and decide how much to cut after that. What do you think?

Whatever you do make sure there are no nicks that could be the root of a tear.

Neoprene neck seaks are known for relaxing when stretched over an AL80, I don't know about latex.

Pete

Definitely VERY sharp scissors or blade. That's the key. I have actually done the stretching and cutting at the same time; stretch it over your tank and then trim it with an extremely sharp blade; the fact that the tank can't be sliced through will allow you to press really firmly as you make the cut (soda bottles do not have this feature). Try to do it in as few cuts as possible to avoid nicking. Then just leave it on the tank overnight.

Definitely VERY sharp scissors or blade. That's the key. I have actually done the stretching and cutting at the same time; stretch it over your tank and then trim it with an extremely sharp blade; the fact that the tank can't be sliced through will allow you to press really firmly as you make the cut (soda bottles do not have this feature).

Use a full one. :11:

I did mine with sharp scissors, being careful to make the cut continuous and smooth. Ragged edges are likely places for a tear to begin. If you are at all close, I would recommend you only take one ring off at a time. If you trim too much, there is no fix for it other than replacing the seal.

Thanks all. I like the stretch-over-a-tank-and-cut-with-a-razor idea. I'll practice on the next ring because I'm almost sure I need to cut off two rings for a fit.

On my first neck seal I cut to the recommended size for my neck and that turned out to be to loose. I replaced the seal the next year and cut two rings smaller than recommended. After wearing the suit that was a perfect fit. I also used sharp scissors with a steady hand so I did not leave any nicks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom