Computers with Diver-Replaceable Battery?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lilpaul1971

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Sorry Folks if this question has been asked before, but here goes:

What is your opinion with Dive Computers that have Diver-Replaceable Batteries?

I have a Suunto Stinger that needs a new battery ever two years, that I have to ship off (return date is always questionable??) to never-never-land, paying an amount of money that would add up to another new computer with a Diver-Replaceable Battery. All opinions are helpful! Thank you for your time and patience with this matter.

Regards, Pablo

I have a Suunto Cobra and my wife uses an Oceanic Data Pro Plus. I have changed the batteries on my birthday for the last four years and have not had a problem. You simply have to be careful and use a bit of grease just like on a camera housing. One battery is $4 and the other is about $9. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm not aware of any downside to having a computer with diver-replaceable batteries. Mine does (Aeris XR-1). Maybe someone who has used both diver-replaceable and non- will chime in, but it made sense to me to get one that allowed ME to change the battery rather than ship it off... just my opinion. :coffee:

Safe Diving!

Oceanic and Aeris not only have user replaceable batteries but they come with the tool to do it! I think I own 8 total (classes and all) and they are way easy to do.

I have a delta - p VR3 and the takes 1xAA battery, nice and simple

I have a Suunto Mosquito, now on it's 4th battery that I've replaced.
Suunto strongly suggests replacing the cover along with the battery, total cost about $15.00. I once replaced the battery, reusing the old cover & o-ring, but this is a risky process since the o-ring gets a flat spot over time & a slight twist would cause leakage.
Long story short, as far as I know most Suunto batteries are user replaceable, & though they may scare you out of it, it's really a easy job if you're careful. fb

I have a Sherwood Wisdom and a Genesis React Pro, both of them are user replaceable and I have done them several times. Like the previous poster mentioned use a little grease on the o-ring and it is simple. Batteries are about $1.00 on ebay

I have a Genesis React Pro and just bought my gf one and would never go to a computer with non replaceable batteries. I can swap a battery anytime any where with out losing a dive.

I have 2 with diver replaceable batteries - an Aeris and an Oceanic Atom 2.0. In both cases as long as you have a new O ring and lube it properly I have never had a problem changing them annually since 2001.

chuck

I also use a Delta VR3. Just make sure the O-rings are lubed and in good shape and you shouldn't have an issue. Personally I don't know that I would consider owning a computer that required me to send it in for battery replacement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom