Study time required for AOW & Rescue?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hay Blackrock,

Your mixing things up now :D
0 viz and COLD water :rofl3:
For the most of us in COLD water this means 100" viz:D
We only need a tiny adjustment, aka, drysuit:rofl3:

cheers,

Evert
:lotsalove:

While I understand what you guys are saying and agree in theory, the truth is I don't want to dive in zero vis. Diving is an activity I enjoy and zero vis is not fun for me. I want to continue my education and learn some new skills but I'm not ready to be a hardcore, zero vis, frigid cold tec diver.

In the rescue class "viz" does not mater. Almost all of the class work is done on the surface. There are only a few easy underwater skills. I doubt that I used even one full tank of air during the entire class.

No he said AOW and RSQ, so he has to do EFR as well or something like it.
AOW is 5 dives and there is bookwork and tests,so is there for the EFR.
If you did not do this on your AOW you,OR don't have AOW OR you had some c-card on sale:11:
Sorry:lotsalove:

so sorry here too, that's why I said about 4 more dives cause when I took it in '86, it was 4 dives: a deep dive(greater than 60 feet but we did 90), nite dive, recovery dive , and a navigation dive(trianglar if I remember correctly)......also, there was no written test to pass--read the Advance book & did the dives.......and I was referring to your last statement.."Nice folks on Bonaire but they do OW in 2 days".....Have a great day........GEAUX TIGERS..........

I don't much agree with some of this advice. By all means if you want to do your AOW and Rescue in Bonaire go for it. AOW should have some "academic learning" and there are questions to be answered for each of the 5 rqd. dives. If I had my choice between LI and Bonaire for my AOW it would be a "no brainer". Rescue is a more about learning how to help yourself and another diver, rather than "making dives". Quite easily you could comfortably do your AOW in the first 3-4 days of your two week trip by making 1 or 2 training dives each day and that would leave plenty of time for laying on the beach and reading your Rescue book in the afternoon. Then spend 3-4 days doing Rescue in the mornings and still time in the afternoon for a dive or two.
If I had time I'd run down to Bonaire and do your training with you. Set something up before you get there, and you may want to get a jump on the reading, but I would think this might be a very rewarding, enjoyable vacation for you, do choose your instructor carefully though it could make the difference.

AOW is a no-brainer since it only requires a number of dives that introduce you to other specialty areas of diving. However, for Rescue, which I have not done yet because I want to ensure I get the most bang for my buck, I would seriously consider what conditions you do most of your diving in. If you train in Bonaire in near perfect viz and temp, but normally dive in cold, low viz water, how realistic will it for you to perform an emergency rescue if the occasion arises in your normal dive environment? The important consideration in certification is not the easiest way to earn it, but how effective will you be in using it when necessary?

Now Michael, how is the OP expected to do this..."do choose your instructor carefully though it could make the difference."...The guy is going to a foreign island, I bet he does not know too many people there.........he's probably going to know his instructor from Eve but not Adam(unless the instructor is female then all bets are off).......

actually, I was just there in January and met a few instructors. When I contacted the Dive Op they told me they couldn't guarantee which instructor taught me. I was disappointed about that.

I probably can do both course study work in 1 weekend. But there is more to learning than a C-card and passing an exam. They said that folks who crammed for exams retain very little.

I watched the rescue DVD twice, read the book twice, and got a 100% on the rescue exam. But I still feel that I will volunteer to help out in the rescue class in a few week to keep up my skill.

I guess the time you spent on the class depend on how seriously you feel that the skills are to you later.

Well...1) it's not really vacation time per se.

Then what's your purpose for going to Bonaire if it's not a diving vacation? How much of your time will be devoted for other purposes and how much will be left for recreation?

2) I would be going by myself so I don't know how much diving I'll be doing otherwise.
I don't feel like paying for boat dives necessarily.

If you're doing AOW you'll be doing 5 dives and one of them has to be below 100 fsw which in most cases requires a boat..

3) I didn't know how much time doing the dives would take up. Am I going to be really busy? This is sort of what I was asking. Can't I study before I get there.

I really don't like the sound of this question at all. You make it sound like diving is an inconvenience or a burden. Like you just want to hurry up and get it over with. :20: It's suppose to be fun, that's why we do it. And yes, you should study and have all the written work done before you get there.

4) I live in the northeast and don't want to do this stuff in LI sound (crap vis) or in the frigid quarries in the area.

What is EFR?

Thanks again.

EFR= Emergency First Responder=First Aid, CPR and how to use a Defibrillator. *Must have for Rescue. EFR is done in a classroom.

EFR= Emergency First Responder=First Aid, CPR and how to use a Defibrillator. *Must have for Rescue. EFR is done in a classroom.

So out of mild curiosity, is PADI so gung-ho about you taking their EFR class that they won't accept certification above and beyond what they teach? Because if I'm going to have to take a CPR class from PADI when I'm an EMT, I'm going to be mildly irritated. :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom