New Product From Mares?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tracy, carefulll.. You might just get what you wished for!!!:rofl3::rofl3:

At least if you are going to make declarations of the sort, be specific! "A Job at Mares... In Italy!!!!!!!" :D:D

Ciao!!!:coffee:

Head tester of Mares who must scuba dive the world testing all the new gear :D:D:D.

Some how I have a feeling I may not be the only one applying mate :D:D:D

Tracy

Sorry to say your not the first to ask, but I certainly appreciate the desire and passion.

Have a great weekend.

Phil

Phil, could you give me an ETA on when the new 08' Abyss 22 will be available for purchase and what the MAP will be?

I'm going crazy waiting for this to become available.

Don't go to crazy.

The Abyss 42 will be in stock mid March
The Abyss 22 will be in stock late April

Phil

Hi Phil,
First I want to say that it's great that a Mares senior management person is so accessible to your customers.

I'm in the market for a dive computer and I remember (from quite awhile ago) that the Nemo was a great looking watch but when I went to Mares - stand for diving, I was surprised and disappointed to see that the models there look dull. But what confused me was that NEMO still shows the great looking models that I remembered.

After poking around various retail sites, I think I figured out that the new models are the dull-looking ones. (Yes, obviously it's subjective but I have a hard time believing that many Nemo fans will prefer the new look.)

Great features aside, I always though Nemo's greatest differentiation was its cutting edge looks so it was quite a shock for me that the new model went backwards (IMHO). I was ready to buy a Nemo based on the old look but now I have to really reconsider.

Anyways, I was just wondering what are your thoughts on this and whether there's any chance Mares will bring the previous look back. Thanks!

dan

Dan,

Phil is out of the office on vacation this week, so I thought I would respond. 1st, thanks for your nice words and interest in Mares products. We are quite proud of not only our innovation but also our style. The 1st generation Nemo you show above was discontinued last year and we have replaced it with our 2nd generation Nemo Excel Mares - stand for diving. Are you sure you didn't see this one? Maybe you were looking at the Nemo Sports (IMO they are like similar products in the field). The Nemo Excel is a very nice, cutting edge, unique looking watch. It has all of the same functions as the original. In addition it is more durable than it's predesessor. It's really a great watch / computer. I suggest you go see one in person if the images on the web don't float your boat. I think you'll find it to be pretty cutting edge. I get positive comments allllll the time.

Thanks for your participation and interest!

Best regards,

Dan, changes in style and appearance in various sport industries happen all the time. And they always please some people, and disapoint others. So I perfectly understand what you're saying, even though I personally like the new Nemo look (as you said, it's just personal preference).

Have you shopped around on internet to see if you can locate one of the old models? They are still great computers and you might ber able to locate one!

Just a thought!:coffee:

Hi Phil,
First I want to say that it's great that a Mares senior management person is so accessible to your customers.

I'm in the market for a dive computer and I remember (from quite awhile ago) that the Nemo was a great looking watch but when I went to Mares - stand for diving, I was surprised and disappointed to see that the models there look dull. But what confused me was that NEMO still shows the great looking models that I remembered.

After poking around various retail sites, I think I figured out that the new models are the dull-looking ones. (Yes, obviously it's subjective but I have a hard time believing that many Nemo fans will prefer the new look.)

Great features aside, I always though Nemo's greatest differentiation was its cutting edge looks so it was quite a shock for me that the new model went backwards (IMHO). I was ready to buy a Nemo based on the old look but now I have to really reconsider.

Anyways, I was just wondering what are your thoughts on this and whether there's any chance Mares will bring the previous look back. Thanks!

dan

Thanks for your replies, guys.

Zak, you're right, the Excel looks similar to the old Nemo - I had based my opinion on comparing Nemo Sport to the old Nemo, thinking that the Excel is the higher end model that should be compared to the Nemo Titanium. You also might want to consider taking down or updating the obsolete site NEMO.

I guess if I compare the Excel to the old Nemo, then it's not so different. I will consider it, though I still prefer the old look :)

Codman, I had looked around but it seems everyone's sold out of the old model. Let's see if I can get lucky and find a used one on eBay...

Don't go to crazy.

The Abyss 42 will be in stock mid March
The Abyss 22 will be in stock late April

Phil

Hi Phil,

What is the main difference between the new Abyss22 and the old Abyss22. I Just bought the old model Abyss 22 and noticed it looks slightly different to the one on the Mares USA website. Do I still have DFC and VAD in mine (or is that all marketing hype like intellifibres in Head tennis racquets, mind you I still own 6 iRadicals cos you don't make em no more!)

Cheers
Dave

What is the main difference between the new Abyss22 and the old Abyss22.

MR 22T first stage
New first stage with nickel- and chrome-plated forged brass that stands out from previous versions because of its lower weight. This was made possible thanks to innovative technical solutions that still maintain the same internal components. Diaphragm technology with the DFC system and replaceable high-pressure seat connector. The high-pressure valve is made of "Tri-material" allowing for superior safety and duration. It is fitted with a preferential intermediate-pressure DFC port with a ½” UNF connection to the primary second stage hose, 3 other 3/8” UNF threading LP service ports, and 2 high-pressure (HP) ports with 7/16” UNF threading. The latter are inclined at a 45° angle to allow for a more intuitive layout of hoses or of the transmitting unit of the integrated dive computers.

Abyss second stage
Second stage with V.A.D. system, made of nickel- and chrome-plated brass. This material offers a number of benefits: Absolute ruggedness. Thinner walls make for a more compact size without the need to resort to a smaller diaphragm, resulting in less drag in the water. Anti-freeze function, facilitated by the“radiating action” of the metal.
More natural breathing: The metal walls of the second stage “capture” the humidity contained in the air breathed, and return it during the inhalation phase, thus limiting the common “dry mouth” phenomenon that is caused by breathing overly dry air.
The lid features the “Mesh-Grid” system to optimize the incoming and out-going flows of water, which offers additional improvement in performance.
The mouthpiece is made of soft hypoallergenic silicone, limiting jaw fatigue and offering a secure fit even after very long dives.

Attachments

• 22-2008.jpg
    22-2008.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Abyss-2008.jpg
    Abyss-2008.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Abyss_2008.pdf
    110.7 KB · Views: 78
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom