Anyone Using a Panasonic GS500 and Ocean Images Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grey_Wulff

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Panasonic GS500 video camera and I have been considering underwater housings. Does anyone have expereience of using an Ocean Images housing with this video camera. If you do, would you mind telling me about your expereinces. Before I go and spend a load of money I'd like to know both the good and bad.

Most of the time this camera is going to be used in Southern California, but we're also planning trips to warmer climates. For CA, video lights are going to be a must as well. Thus, I like to hear about what lights you have used with this video housing as well.

Thanks in appreciation.

Grey_Wulff

disregard...

Thanks for your reply and the information on other housing possibilities, I'll definately look into those.

Grey_Wulff

Yeah. I saw the GS500 is supported by O/I AFTER I posted my previous reply - my bad...:)

Just bought the HC-series unit for my Sony HDR-SR5. Still learning it (only in pool) once, but so far so good. It is a reasonable housing and lights. Seems to do everything I need it to and while it was negative in the pool, it should be about neutral in the ocean.

Easy to setup and seems like good quality. If budget is a concern, you will have a good setup for $2,600 w/ lights.

Not bad...

I have a Panasonic GS 250 and use an Ocean Images housing and am quite happy with it, Keith at O.I. gives great service.

I have a Panasonic GS 250 and use an Ocean Images housing and am quite happy with it, Keith at O.I. gives great service.

Liquidvisions,

The housing for the GS250 and GS500 appear to be the same (according to the Oceam Images website) so I'm definately interested in hearing more about your experience if you have a moment.

I have quite a few questions:

How do you find the buoyancy characteristics?
How easy is it to view the camcorder screen through back port?
How do you find the electronic controls?
How is the manual control for switching the unit on/off
Where have you used the unit? In particular, have you used unit in colder US waters.
Are you using it in combination with lights, If so, which lights and how do you find them?
Do you have the optional wide angle port?
Without lights, do you find the red filter useful?
Do you have any sample video on web?
On the GS500 there is no white balance control, do you have same limitation on GS250 and if so has this been a problem?

Sorry for so many questions but before I shell out a load of cash I want to make sure I'm sending wisely?

Best regards,

Grey_Wulff

I have found both the mechanical and electronic controls work great, the port on the back is very large so it allows good vision.
I have the wide angle port which is a must as I'm sure most would agree with on any housing, the right filter does the job and has a lever to flip it out of the way when not in use.
I use Nite Rider video lights but only require them for deeper dives or macro work.
Keith at O/I is really helpful and provides outstanding service.
I have only used this setup in Caribbean waters.

I have found both the mechanical and electronic controls work great, the port on the back is very large so it allows good vision.
I have the wide angle port which is a must as I'm sure most would agree with on any housing, the right filter does the job and has a lever to flip it out of the way when not in use.
I use Nite Rider video lights but only require them for deeper dives or macro work.
Keith at O/I is really helpful and provides outstanding service.
I have only used this setup in Caribbean waters.

Thanks for the additional information.

Grey_Wulff

Back
Top Bottom