Needing to ship gear to Roatan...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AZ Desert Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've got 5 weeks in Roatan that I've got to pack for, and I don't think that I can meet my 50lbs.per bag x2 for the entire stay. I'm thinking of shipping some of my gear there, but who should I use?

Then I've got to get it back to the US, so who is the easiest to ship from Roatan back to the states?

If you have first hand knowledge of shipping to/from Roatan please post it as well.

Thanks,
Adam

most people I know use these guys hydeshipping.com - if you are staying at a resort or somebody that does business here they most likely have a address acount with these guys... Jackson Shipping is also in Miamia but most people I know don't use them anymore - don't know why....

When I ship stuff down I just address it to Inn of Last Resort / Hyde Shipping Miamia FL...

If you don't have somebody here to recieve it that's delt with the customs guy it could be a real pain in the ass....... talking about waiting all day to get it past customs...

What do you need so much stuff for ??? I usually come for 4 to 6 weeks at a time and bring presents and parts etc... and don't have too much trouble.... 4 ****s - 4 shorts - some socks and undies and then dive stuff.............

Save some weight and buy your toiletries here.... it might cost you an extra 5 bucks but if you wieght all that stuff together you will be shocked at how heavy it really is...

Also if you fly TACA you can pay extra and check extra bags....

Good luck

Getting your gear back after sending it through customs will be the miracle. You'd be better off spending the money charges for extra bags.

I usually spend at least 3-4 weeks per trip and pack in a carry-on that weighs 15-20 pounds including my mask and snorkel. I don't see how adding scuba gear to that would raise it by more than 85 pounds since you can't take tanks anyway. Check out Leisure and Business Travel Packing List - Travel Light with One Bag! for packing light tips.

Have a great trip - I hope you'll tell us all about it when you get back. Happy trails!

Thanks for the info everyone. The only reason that I asked this question is because I wil be doing my IDC and my DSTAT Deep Tec couse while there, and my gear bag is full. I guess that it is time to take some take some clothing out and make room for gear.

I should be able to make it with just 1pr. of shorts, a tee, no boxes or socks and a tooth brush for a month and the rest of the 98lbs filled with dive gear!

Thanks again everyone!

Adam

Note to self:

:doctor: Stay upwind of Adam :monkey:

:rofl3:

I should be able to make it with just 1pr. of shorts, a tee, no boxes or socks and a tooth brush for a month and the rest of the 98lbs filled with dive gear!

might want to think 2 prs of shorts (that way you can wash one and not have to be naked) 2 t's and a pair od sandles, pack the other 95 lbs of dive gear.

:DYou certainly don't need much more than 2 pairs of shorts thre or four tees and a pair of sandals! As for the rest, take the hoses off your regs, pack them and the second stages in your bags and the first stages in your hand luggage. Put your manuals in your hand luggage. Backplate - hand luggage. I have the roller type which is as big as they will allow on the plane and always weighs in at about 60lbs, thats why its on wheels, if they saw me struggling with the weight they would never let me take it as hand luggage! I am about to fininsh a round trip to Borneo with exactly what you are bring down!!!

If you really need to ship something i have two addresses you can use, one costs $1/pound the other $3.5/pound. The cheaper takes about four weeks and is a ship, the other is air freight. Both methods include taxes at that price. If you are flying continental it only costs another $25 bucks to bring a third bag (I think) thats maybe a better option. My jeep only has so much room to meet you at the other end :D

Looking forward to seeing you down here mate, email me if you need anything more!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom