GIMP Picture Editing Software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ryanpublic

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just discovered a free photo editing software called GIMP.

It seems like it has some advanced features even though it's free.

Has anyone else tried this? What are your impressions?

I just discovered a free photo editing software called GIMP.

It seems like it has some advanced features even though it's free.

Has anyone else tried this? What are your impressions?

I use it quite a bit. In fact, it is the only photo editing software I use currently. It is very powerful, especially given the price (free).

You might also consider Gimpshop (GIMPshop.com - A GIMP hack by Scott Moschella) which is a "hack" for Gimp that makes it look & feel more like Photoshop if you are more familiar with Photoshop.

There are some GIMP scripts for color-correcting underwater photos using the "Mandrake method" at http://www.tankedup-imaging.com/script-**.html.

[edit: it looks as if the letter "f" followed by the letter "u" is considered naughty by the board software. To get to the link, you're going to need to replace the first * with an f and the second with a u...]

I've been using TheGimp off and on for a several of years now for all kinds of tasks. IIRC I started using it when it was in vs 1.1 (not sure of the exact number, but I remember upgrading to 1.2 years back). It does everything. I've used it for various type of image analyses (I'm a biologist) and I've even managed to make animated gif's in it (just for kicks).

There are some GIMP scripts for color-correcting underwater photos using the "Mandrake method" at http://www.tankedup-imaging.com/script-**.html.

[edit: it looks as if the letter "f" followed by the letter "u" is considered naughty by the board software. To get to the link, you're going to need to replace the first * with an f and the second with a u...]
:rofl3: (for the edit -- viva los workplace friendly filtros)

Thanks for the script though. I've been wantng to find one just hadn't take the time to look. I'd just been repeating the steps in one of the photoshop filters manually (hadn't gotten around to scripting it since I don't do much image retouching).
GIMP is an acquired taste. It can do almost anything but the interface scares some people.
I think that goes for any software package (including all the serious image manipulation programs): when you finally get used ot one and then try switching to another flavor, you're going to first face the learnong curve of getting around in the new software's interface. For a classic example, just look at the long lived Mac vs PC debate you'll find all over the net. For somebody with no experience in any "serious" image manipulation program, I think they can all be a bit overwhelming at first if you don't have a good guide with you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom