Idc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vidiotic

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am looking to doing my IDC somewhere on Utilia and was wondering if anyone has any recomendations. I did my DM on Koh Tao and really enjoyed my time there so was hoping for somewhere similliar i.e good night life, relaxed pace of life, not much to do apart from dive, dive, dive.

As the missus is already an OWSI we where hoping of getting work there after my IDC. Is there much opportunities there?

Cheers

You might want to checck with Peter Wilcox "contact info at bottom of post"

I did my IDC with him in January and he did a great job - really knows what they expect at the IE.. He also helps with the IE so he is well conected... He can set you up with a place to stay and has a pretty good job placement rate for graduates...

Roatan is really a good place to find a job "right now" thiings change fast but right now DM's and Instructors are in high demand...

email: peter@subwaywatersports.com

Peter Wilcox
PADI Course Director
EFR Instructor Trainer
DAN Instructor Trainer
+504-3291-8539

I agree with Howie, Roatan is certainly a good spot to consider doing your IDC. Chances of getting work on Roatan are good. Coconut Tree Divers should be doing IDCs pretty much on a monthly basis conveniently located right in the middle of West End. That makes it easy to find accomodation which is just a 2-3 minute walk from where you will be doing your course.

Just do a search on Coconut Tree Divers here on scubaboard to see what an excellent reputation they have. They have limited numbers in their IDCs and being the largest shop on the island are VERY well connected with many of the people they have trained working in other dive shops on the island. Where did you do your DM on Kho Tao? I know a few people there!

One option you have is to book your flights to Roatan, since they have planty of DIRECT flights from the US, then you can check the place out for a few days. If you like it and want to stay you can, if not, just jump on Verns sailing cat over to Utila. I can easily helpyou arrange that if you want. One reason for flying direct rather than via the mainland is the terrible rate of luggage loss which happens to people connecting through San Pedro Sula.

The place i would look at closely if you still want to do it on Utila is Utila Dive Center. Feel free to PM me if you need any further info.

Will

If you took your DM on Koh Tao and enjoyed it, then you'll find a much similar demographic on Utila, plus for post IDC work opportunities, certifications and experience, there's no where else that compares to Utila in Central America. The majority of the IE's are held on Utila as well, there's only 1 official IE in Roatan for September, any other dates at this stage would be purely speculative.

The majority of our IDC candidates, and to be transparent I teach the IDC at Utila Dive Centre, come into the island via shuttle flights from San Pedro, or the ferry, and have never had issues with baggage, though it can happen that it gets delayed, it normally shows up within 2-3 days which in the grand scheme of things if you're on the island for months is just a minor inconvenience, but I've honestly only known it to happen to 1-2% of our IDC candidates, though it can be more of a regular occurrence for divers who visit the island just for a week, typical!

Take a look at Utila Dive Centre | Utila, Bay Island, Honduras - Central America and Utila Official Site - Utila, Bay Islands, Honduras - Tropical Island Paradise for more info and let me know if you have any specific questions about Utila or the IDC in general.

I did my DM at Bans! Bit of a dive factory but I really enjoyed it there.

As for luggage going missing, thats a bit of a concern. Don't fancy losing 2 sets of dive kit espeically as we both have shiny new Halycon Wings!! ( We enjoy our tec stuff!)

I guess my next question is, how cheap is living on either Rotan or utilia? Mainly accomadation/food and of course the most important, Beer?

How much can we expect to earn? For example for leading at Bans the going rate was 500 Baht for 2 dives. Ideally I was aiming at earning 10,000 Bhat per month to subsides what little money I had.

How does the diving compare to Koh Tao? Which compared to indonesia is not that good (IMHO) but there was sharks, whale sharks and the odd turtle. Chumpon was obviously my favourtie site.

We will be coming from England so the plan is to fly into San Pedro Saul then bus it over to the coast where I understand we can catch a ferry. Is this journey resonable or is it a bit of a mare?

The IE schedule for the rest of year in the Bay Islands has the IEs happening at the end of the third week in the month in most cases. Most of the IEs are scheduled to be in Utila. Coconut Tree will be taking their candidates over to Utila to take the IE as part of the cost of the course. If there are enough Roatan candidates in any given month PADI may well conduct an IE on both islands to avoid this necessity, either way where the IE actallu takes place makes little odds at the end of the day.

As for lost luggage. You would be unlikley to lose it for good, just delayed!

The luggage issue is only really a concern when you have tight connections, any connection over 1 hour, or in your case, by busing to La Ceiba and then taking a ferry, you won't have an issue.

It's a common route for those with more time, you can see Hedman Alas ::: Leaders & Innovators of land transportation in Central America Since 1952 ::: for their schedule and you can buy tickets on the day, most people that come to Utila for an extended stay take this option, I also use it myself from time to time.

As for costs on Utila, ball park, you're looking at $1 a beer, $150-200 to share a room in an apartment, or anything from $350 to $500 for your own apartment, there are numerous restaurants serving meals from $4-10.

There are paying DM jobs on the island, but you'll really need to be in the area for a while and know the sites and the creatures, most people that visit the islands just for diving, come for the small stuff, so you'll need good local knowledge and a trained eye before you can find paying DM work. I also did my DM on Koh Tao, and you get more experienced certified divers visiting the Bay Islands, so they have a higher expectation from there dives. Once you do get to know the sites, then you're looking at about $100-120 per week as a guide, plus tips, some DM's supplement this with extra work on the side. You'll make more as an Instructor, and I know most centers on Utila have been very busy so far this season, and there's a good chance of picking up work, and as an Instructor you'll make anything from $700 per month low season, to as much as $2000-3000 per month high season, again this all depends on yourself and which dive center you work for.

You'll find the diving more diverse, and exciting on Utila than Koh Tao, there are over 70 buoyed sites around the island, that get frequented daily, and most of the year. The Whale sharks are seen on the North side, and that's where the deeper walls are, and there's also offshore banks which are great for tec dives. I remember from Koh Tao there were bigger schools of fish but that was in 97, not sure what it's like today.

The atmosphere on the island is great as well, it's still got the charm a lot of places throughout the Caribbean have lost, there's no cruise ships coming in, no condominiums, there's relatively little traffic, and it's a lot of fun!

I hope this helps.

And one of my favorite things about Utila is you can get everywhere pretty easy & inexpensively!

On the East End/East Harbour AKA 'town', foot or bike will get you pretty much everywhere you want to go. If you want to go to the Cays or Western end of the island, the boat taxis are pretty cheap. The entire island is only about 7m long.

I lived in Roatan 9 years, and while there are things I still love about the island, getting around it wasn't one of them, especially if it's a Cruise Ship day.

On Roatan, if you stay in West End/Sandy Bay, you're pretty much ok by foot or bike, except when going to the bigger grocery stores, Carrion (Dept. store) etc, which are all in Coxen Hole or French Harbor, half way down the 34m long island. It's do-able, there's a public bus, and cabs (which tend to be expensive) it's just more involved then hopping on a bike & going IMHO.

Thanks all for the input here. Getting around the place is always a concern so its good to know that Utilia is easy to get about. It sounds like Rotan is kind of like Koh Samui while Utilia sounds pretty much like Koh Tao.

Still need to deciede which offers the best diving though. In between doing my IDC and helping out on courses I would still like to fun dive or even lead divers. I love diving walls, drift diving and the odd wreck dive (Is there any wreck dives near any of these islands?).
So which of the 2 islands offers the best?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom