Wanted: Liveaboard Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

agwatts

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello All,

My girlfriend (snorkeler) and I just spent an awesome week at Anthony's Key Resort in Roatan, Honduras. I would love to take a liveaboard on our next trip to the Caribbean. Is this idea practical with a non-diver? Any recommendations or warnings about liveaboards. Are there any liveaboards to avoid?

Thanks,
Greg:D

I am going on the Juliet tomorrow and will be back in a week, when I get back I will let you know how she is. As for nondivers, well she could always get certified on the cruise if she wanted, and I am sure if she likes to lay out and just snorkel some it would be fine. Depends on the person, some people would be bored out of their minds, others, who really just want to lay out, read, relax and not really do anything would love it.

Similar dilemna. I LOVE my wife who is into the beach, snorkeling and tropical destinations. I have a similar affection for Liveaboards. My compromise was to book us both on Scuba Diving Bahamas Liveboard Aqua Cat out of Nassau for the 2nd week of April. Since she's never been on a boat for more than an afternoon, and always within sight of land, this is a big roll of the dice for both of us. Wish me luck -- I'll report back.
By the way, this is my first trip with them as well.

I wouldn't take my non-diving g/f on a liveaboard unless she's really into diving or talking about diving. (What fish was that, did you see that (octopus, turtle, shark, ray...) constantly) The only non-diving conversations I had were one on one later in the evening.

I do a lot of diving and have an interest in different species and marine aquariums - but even I was ready to throw myself overboard by the end of the week. For a group of dive "strangers", it's easier to discuss our shared "adventure" but it got old after about the 3rd or 4th day.

The other problem is that most of the moorings are beyond snorkel depth. We did the Nekton Cay Sal trip and I can only recall two stops that were shallow enough to snorkel. Even during our SI's I only recall one couple doing some snorkeling at Cat Cay and that was because we moored in about 24' of water very close to the island.

Something like the Aquacat (there's others also) where they do nature tours and excursions to nearby islands might work better for your g/f.

Similar dilemna. I LOVE my wife who is into the beach, snorkeling and tropical destinations. I have a similar affection for Liveaboards. My compromise was to book us both on Scuba Diving Bahamas Liveboard Aqua Cat out of Nassau for the 2nd week of April. Since she's never been on a boat for more than an afternoon, and always within sight of land, this is a big roll of the dice for both of us. Wish me luck -- I'll report back.

Great trip and the crew will cater to her as a non-diver! I have done the boat for years and we have many non-divers aboard! You can see video's, pictures, and read my logs of the trip at the web site:Two Tanked Productions HD & SD Underwater Productions and video services

yeah, I was going to suggest Aquacat, too. From their videos it looks like they have groups of divers and snorkelers.
I would NOT take a person on a liveaboard who doesn't like the water at all. They need to enjoy swimming and snorkeling at the very least!

go on YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. and search for "Aquacat Bahamas". They have 4 videos on there that show the boat, the diving, the non-diving, etc.

robin:D

I am going on the Juliet tomorrow and will be back in a week, when I get back I will let you know how she is. As for nondivers, well she could always get certified on the cruise if she wanted, and I am sure if she likes to lay out and just snorkel some it would be fine. Depends on the person, some people would be bored out of their minds, others, who really just want to lay out, read, relax and not really do anything would love it.

I went on a trip with the Juliet in June last Year. It was a great trip, especially because they do not take that many passengers. We had one guy on board that didn't dive at all. He tried snorkeling once. Still he had a blast and spend most of his time fishing (might not be what your wife wants to do all day). They have a nice sun deck and they also plan for a beach day. Overall they are pretty flexible. You might want to try to get another couple interested with one half being a non-diver to go on a trip.

I just got back from a week with my ND Spouse on Aquacat and, as promised, here is my report:

We flew Delta out of Denver on Sat, 4/5. 2 hr. layover in Atlanta with an extra hour delay getting off to Nassau due to storms in Atlanta area. Arrived Nassau 90 minutes late and were greeted as promised by Mr. Wright who dutifully waited for us and drove us to Paradise Island (near Atlantis Hotel). Made it to the Aquacat after 30 minute drive at 7:30pm in time for modest meal and briefing. 19 passengers this trip with crew of 10 -- including 3 divemasters. All top notch, very safe and knowledgable. Captain Mark has been guiding the vessel for the last 5+ years.

Rooms: 5 rooms on either side of the 102' long, 35' wide catamaran hulled vessel. All very clean, dry and in good shape. Each has 2 single sized beds, private shower, auto-flush toilets, sinks and ample storage space. Floors are soft, synthetic material. 2 large windows at least 3'x3' in size in each stateroom. Some rooms allow the beds to be converted to doubles. There's also one (budget) room in front with a skylight, but no one was in that this trip. They moved the single fellow who was in that to an empty stateroom which I thought was kinda classy.Towels were changed 3 times in the rooms during the week and they got the daily treatment from "House Mouse" -- Karina. Towels for beach and diving dry-off were also readily available in stacks on the dive deck, so don't bother packing your own. Leave the sea-sick meds at home unless you are really sensitive to motion.

Diving: Exumas where they go and where they have put in their own (and pretty much, the only) moorings was one of the first underwater sea parks -- established in the late 1950's. The park is 20 miles long and 8 miles wide. Since there is no development to speak of and it's out of the range of resort day boats, you can safely infer that the underwater world is in good shape. Lots of coral structures, sponges and abundant marine life. Diving included drift dives in channels between Cays timed to coincide with tidal flows. "Washing Machine" had everyone coming up laughing- it was so much fun. "Coral Cut" was less turbulant, but as fast as anything I've done in Cozumel. Wall dives were similar to Turks and Caicos. Shallow reefs were visited every day and could be snorkled just as easily as dove since most came to within 10 feet of the surface in places. There were no wreck dives. In total we did 21 day dives and 4 night dives. I would happily splash back in at any of them.

Food: Abundant, varied and good. 4 beers on tap, tons of rum, vodka, and mixers, white and red wine. As always, one drink and you're done diving. Big dinner was Thursday night where Filet Mignon with shrimp was served by the staff. All other meals were "all you can eat" buffet served puctually at 8am, 12:30pm and 6:30pm. At times I felt a bit rushed to finish up, but that may have reflected the staff's eagerness to clear the empty plates.

ND Spouse: Loved it! There were trips (using a 28' launch) that took you to postcard places that look the same as they did 200 years ago. They took her (and me when I wanted to join her) to snorkling sites where she'd see as much as I did on the dives. After the 3rd day, the single male diver who I buddied with, expressed remorse that if he'd known what it would be like, he'd have brought his ND spouse too! 'Nuff said, mine can't wait to go back.

I could ramble on, but bottom line is: Take her, both of you will have a great time.

Back
Top Bottom