We need some tradition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

300bar

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
There is an other thread on this somewhere, but this could be something for the DorkDivers.:dork2:

Traditions,:D

In many sports we do have traditions,divers don't why not
Any ideas:confused:for.....

New divers
#100/200/500/1000 dive
New level/c.card.
New Divemasters

The only "tradition" I know off is for divers new to the tropics,meeting Neptune/Poseidon but that one is stolen from the Navy.

:lotsalove::dork2:

I am curious, what is involved in meeting Posidon or Neptune? I dove in Accapulco, and I didnt have any traditional hazzing.

Perhaps what we should do is start a DD tradition... Besides the plastic orange shovel...

The one i've seem the most sofar was the drinking of a bottle of scotch or something like it, thru a snorkel,whyle saying a prayer to Neptune :dork2:

A special DD tradition could be nice :D any ideas :D

Perhaps we need to redefine what we want as an initiation. It seems to me we already have the tradition of having fun on our dives and the tradition of playing games (ISOSAD) on our dives.

As far as what wecould do for a tradition or initiation, I am at a loss. A scavenger hunt under water perhaps? A navigation course? Something that did not require materials and minimal set up would probably be best so that it could easily be applied to any country and dive site.

We need a thinking smilie. :dork2:

Well, for one thing, we need to celebrate all the obscure holidays. Here... let me be the first:

Happy π Day!

It's relevant because, well, *tanks* are round. DIN and yoke screws are round. Valve handles... most regulators... and on and on and on. Yep, pi is fantastically important to scuba!

I think we need an official underwater signal. It needs to be something that says, "I'm diving safely and having a *great* and entertaining time doing it!" Hmm... I know!
  • Make two "OK" signs
  • Put them to the top of your head (like antennae, with the base of your thumb touching your head and the fingers sticking up)
  • Wiggle them forward and backward in an opposing motion
They're "OK" signs, so they won't make anyone rush a regulator over to you or anything, and waving "OK" antennae will certainly make you look like you're just having fun without worrying about looking like "all that".

Oh, and as far as traditions go, let's not involve alcohol in any "official" DD traditions. That would be doubly bad, as it would exclude those mini-DDs not yet of legal drinking age as well as any DDs who don't imbibe. We wouldn't want to inadvertently be exclusionary, eh? (And I'd hate to be the one excluded. :biggrin:)

OOOH! I know a Dorky initiation tradition! Let's have a "Mismatched Fin Dive" be traditional. You just do a dive with any two fins, as long as they're different. It's fun (can you imagine the bystanders). It's not dangerous. Anybody can do it (if you don't have a buddy or a second set of fins, just use tape or anything to make them different). And in addition to all that, it can actually be a learning experience (how to swim with two different fins is the entry-level version of how to swim if you lose a fin on a dive).

I like those traditions. They sound like fun. I also noticed that DD have a tradition of using their snorkle as a weapon (DD web site). But you require special training in a course to use that tradition. I must say that I am intrigued.

just like a dork, you brought a snorkel to a tank fight....

I like the duel OK idea

how about the congrats on getting certified... and your buddies toss ya off the dock/out the boat? Then again the zip ties on the ends of the wetsuit usually gets you killed..... I wouldn't knwo about that though...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom