NAUI Divemaster course questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bowtie22

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A few questions for about the NAUI Divemaster course. I have finally pulled the lead out of my !@# and enrolled in the Divemaster course 2 weeks ago. I have been working on honing my basic skills in the pool but I have not recieved or seen any lists of what apecific skills I will have to perform, time limits associated with them, how they are graded or anything, also what areas do I need to really buckle down on studying for the written tests. My first class is next week and I am supposed to recieve my materials then.

So in the mean time can anyone help give me a heads up so I can prepare myself.

Thanks

A few questions for about the NAUI Divemaster course. I have finally pulled the lead out of my !@# and enrolled in the Divemaster course 2 weeks ago. I have been working on honing my basic skills in the pool but I have not recieved or seen any lists of what apecific skills I will have to perform, time limits associated with them, how they are graded or anything, also what areas do I need to really buckle down on studying for the written tests. My first class is next week and I am supposed to recieve my materials then.

Thanks
I didn't see in your profile what your agency your earlier certifications were through so I will mention things you might not know if you were certified through an agency other than NAUI.

In open water, rescue another diver during a skin dive. This could be a surface rescue or may involve a recovery of an unconscious diver from depth.

Swimming evaluation-(confined water) swim a distance of 25 yds/75 feet underwater on one breath no dive; no push off.

Swim 450 yds nonstop any stroke, within 10 minutes and then swim an additional 25 yds using any resting stroke.

Transport another person of similar size 50 yds

Tread/float for 20 minutes

Skin diving skills--to be performed wearing a wetsuit a weight belt adjusted fro proper buoyancy mask, fins and snorkel. Snorkel swim 900 yds nonstop within 18 minutes.

Perform a skin diving Ditch and Recovery

Some of the scuba skills Scuba lifesaving transport

Buddy breathe while swimming horizontally underwater for four minutes. Each person in the pair is to be without a mask and be the donor for two minutes during the swim. Divers are not to surface during the entire exercise.

Perform a scuba Ditch and Recovery

Perform a scuba bailout exercise.

There's more to the course but these are the primary watermanship evaluation areas.

Good luck!! and have fun!!

Thanks for the heads up...... I stared with PADI OW, PADI AOW, PADI Rescue, NAUI Nitrox, NAUI Master Diver, so most of the basic skills that I had learned was from PADI. I think I will stay with the NAUI courses through instructor just because they seem to be a little more challenging and more in depth than other certifying agencies (not trying to start a my agency is better than yours war :D).

Thanks

Obviously, once you have your NAUI Leadership and Instruction book and standards and policies (S&P) manual, you'll be able to answer quite a few questions yourself (or at least, *I* did :wink:). In the meantime, let's see what I can say...

Swimming: Zero to 1650 is a great plan to build up swimming stamina for the 450-yard swim. I *highly* recommend it to almost anyone (although the "real" swimmers will find they have far surpassed it). Even from not swimming far at all, after just a few weeks, anyone can make the swims, no problem. (My form is terrible. I don't kick much, my head's too high, and I don't breathe like a swimmer is "supposed to". I finished the 450 around 8:45 without really pushing at all.)

Oh, how about this one: When you load the half-sheet-size 3-ring zipper binder with the pages as you assemble your S&P manual, take the orange "Other" tab and put it at the table of contents for "Section 2" of "Standards and Policies". Then write "Standard Ratios: 2.17" somewhere on the ToC. Section two is where all the course standards are, so having that marked is convenient. (Section one is all the NAUI business-related stuff, like bylaws and such, which you probably won't refer to as often.) Also, the order of the sections (so the tabs line up properly) is REFERENCE, EQUIPMENT, TRAINING, DIVE LOG, MAP LOG, STANDARDS AND POLICIES, (OTHER... if you use the "cheat"), and RISK MANAGEMENT. It was not at first straightforward how they arranged them, but that's it.

As for the watermanship skills and other requirements, the list above was the basic list from the S&Ps. With NAUI, your instructor has the academic freedom to add to those basic standard requirements as he sees fit, but in any case, you must be informed at the start what requirements you must meet. Usually that's done in a handout at the beginning (ours had all the standards, plus some additional water and classroom skills we would be adding to those standards). If it's not covered, *ASK*! :D

If you don't have any other sheet detailing precisely what you have to do, there's one great idea that my shop does. They make a copy of the skills list flap of the student folder, which details all the standard skills with places to sign off on them. As we complete requirements, they not only sign off on our folder, but they also sign off on our copy of the list. That way *we* know what we've done, *they* know what we've done, and we can compare and fill in any that may be missing from one or the other (for example, perhaps they didn't have the folders at the pool). We have three instructors working the class, so doing it this way helps keep everything documented, and it certainly makes *us* feel as if we don't need to be concerned at all with whether someone will remember what we've already done.

As for the watermanship skills, they're simple pass/fail. It's not like PADI where you are graded 1-5 on each, and you have to get a certain number of points to pass. Of course, if your instructor wanted to, he *could* do something like that over and above the standards, but the standards give a clear pass/fail break that you *must* make. 450 yards swimming in 10 minutes. 900 yards with mask, fins, and snorkel in 18 minutes. That type of thing.

NAUI DM is a superset of NAUI AI (unlike PADI DM, which is a precursor to PADI AI), so you'll also be doing presentations in class and in the water. You'll learn quite a bit before you get to that part, most likely, but when you get your materials, you can look at page 252 of Leadership and Instruction for the criteria on which those presentations will be judged. When you work up your plan, you can just tick off those a box at a time and pass muster fairly straightforwardly (although it *definitely* gets easier with practice :biggrin:). The standard NAUI PowerPoint presentations are a great guide when making your own. If you mimic their form ("By the end of this lesson...", etc.), you'll have a head start, but obviously, don't just copy. :D

I guess that's about it. Feel free to join in on the [thread=221608]Generic running updates thread -or- "Going Pro's Goings Prose"[/thread] thread I started a while back (you don't have to post as lengthily as I; I've just got a bit of a Garrison Keillor streak in me). It's for any of us posting anything and everything, even just updates on what was covered in class. (It's fun to share your progress with others, and sometimes you get little nuggets of useful information when someone remembers a tip about what you're covering.) Well, safe diving. :biggrin:

Thanks for the info......

Well, I'm not sure about the NAUI tests, but with the SDI tests, all the writtens were pretty much a peice of cake with the exception of the physics/physiology section. Not sure of your understanding of all the laws, (Dalton's, Boyle's, ect.) and the understanding of narcosis, age, and things of the such. For me, that was by far the worse section of the test:confused:. So a quick refresher would have probably helped. The other issue I had was during my pre-dive breifing. My IDC and IEC instructors both said, I need too make it more reassuring for new students. (let them know what too expect, what they'll see, and that this is not graded on speed but efficiency, also, let them know they are in good hands and are safe.) As far as in water skills, they should all be second nature. (which I'm sure they are at this time in your diving career) The other thing that I had too keep a grasp on was talking in complete sentences (not continuing on just because the students were nodding their heads) and not using crutch words. Just relax and let the real you out. I'm sure you'll do GREAT!!

Joe

Be sure to know your Master diver material and also your Rescue material. Would be a great idea to reread both books. Good luck and dig deep.

Thanks

Have you got the materials yet? What is included in it and how much did the material cost? Thanks!

Have you got the materials yet? What is included in it and how much did the material cost? Thanks!
Did you not catch that this was a 2 year old thread? I'm thinking he got the materials...

Back
Top Bottom