NAUI to PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I took my PADI open and advanced open water course this past winter in Mexico. It was at a very reputable and well known dive shop, but three months later I've find out my instructor lost his teaching status and didn't complete the paperwork with PADI to complete my certification. I emailed the dive shop and the owner has offered to transfer my certification over to NAUI. I'm planning on doing rescue diver this summer, so I'm wondering if having NAUI certification will get in the way of that.

I took my PADI open and advanced open water course this past winter in Mexico. It was at a very reputable and well known dive shop, but three months later I've find out my instructor lost his teaching status and didn't complete the paperwork with PADI to complete my certification. I emailed the dive shop and the owner has offered to transfer my certification over to NAUI. I'm planning on doing rescue diver this summer, so I'm wondering if having NAUI certification will get in the way of that.

No, it won't make a difference.

Not at all.
Your agencies should make no difference.

If you took PADI classes, it's not very likely you actually completed the requirements for NAUI certification. Just off the top of my head, a few things NAUI requires that PADI does not.... Did you breathe through a flooded snorkel? Did you rescue a simulated unconscious diver from the bottom? Did you complete a 50 ft underwater swim with no equipment? If you didn't, you didn't qualify for the NAUI SCUBA Diver certification. There are also differences in the requirements for the Advanced certification.

If you took PADI classes, it's not very likely you actually completed the requirements for NAUI certification....

After now having an understanding about the different requirements between "agencies" for certification, that was the first thing that came to my mind.

The question the OP asked is much different than a question regarding accepting the certifications of one agency as a prerequisate for further training in different agency - of course that is a whole different can of worms.

I look at the requirements for the NAUI certification and can honestly say that nope, my OW training would not meet those requirements. If the situation was reversed, the NAUI requirements would more than meet the other.

Did I ramble, or does this make sense - only one cup of coffee so far.

The question the OP asked is much different than a question regarding accepting the certifications of one agency as a prerequisate for further training in different agency
Actually he seems to be asking if the NAUI certification will get in the way of taking a PADI rescue course. If he has in his posession the OW & AOW cards from NAUI then he can be accepted into a PADI rescue course.

Whether or not he has the actual skill set for the NAUI certifications is a different issue as Walter has pointed out.

Crap.... I need to put my glasses on.

Sorry about any confusion and my apologies to the OP and to Walter for taking that completely out of context!

:rofl3: I have to do the opposite and take my glasses off to read a computer screen and I have bifocals:D Besides if you aren't already, you soon will be, according to your profile, one of us Grumpy Old Divers:lotsalove: Here's a second cup of :coffee:

Boy, talk about moving this from the original topic - I do wear bifocals - or the PC equivalent - "progressives". My son and I set up a pony tank this week - we went for a full SPG since there was no way in heck I could read a button guage.

I imagine that if you completed all the skills required as a NAUI OW diver there is no harm done. But if you did not complete the NAUI OW written exam, someone is breaking the rules to make your life easier.

Back
Top Bottom