Burning a frameless mask - tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Burn it. When I got my Atomic Frameless a couple of years ago, it fogged up. Bad. So I tried the Crest. No good. Next I passed the lighter under the lens and got it good and sooted up. I then cleaned it with Johnsons and what do you know? No fog at all.

Take the lighter to it and don't worry about the silicone, it is very heat resistant.

I have a new mask on the way. How close does the flame have to be to the glass? touching it? an inch away? thanks!

No flames for me.
Tooth paste and more tooth paste and more.
Sit in front of the TV in the yard in the garage on the beach.

I have an Atomic frameless that was a bear. But got it with toothpaste.

How close does the flame have to be to the glass? touching it? an inch away?

Just let the tip of the flame kiss the lens. It really does not have to touch it.

You could do it with the flame and be done in 10 seconds, or you could sit in front of the TV with the toothpaste and watch a Seinfeld marathon. Either way it works.

Ive used my spit on my mask and many others and it works great and buddies swear by my spit.

If you want to buy some of my spit just pm me. Free shipping.

I bought a new mask and before burning the film on it I tested the flame method on my old mask that has seen multiple toothpaste rubs, tons of spit and more than 80 dives (I did not have any fogging problem with it)

I was surprised :11: to see appear in the flame two round marks about 1 inch in diameter on the inside of the glass of my old mask (Scubapro frameless).

I figure this was left from the manufacturing process when the glass is held with suction cups when grinding/polishing the edge. The fact it appeared after so long tells me that the tooth paste cleaning method didn't remove everything.

As far as burning silicone...they make cake pans out of the stuff.

I shall preach it again - burning your mask is the way to go, no question. Done in seconds, completely removes the film, no fogging. I worry more about scratching the mask by scrubbing for hours with toothpaste than taking a flame to it for a couple seconds. Spread the word...

Cheers,
Chris

Ill preach the tooth paste method again.

Bought another mask on Saturday, an oceanic Low Profile Shadow. Plastered it with Toothpaste and left for 24hrs.

Now clean and no fogging.

I dont know how you guys dont get these results, thats 3 masks ive done the same way and never had a fogging issue.

The real question is why does every new mask even bother to come with this stupid film on it - if it was only meant to be removed by the user. :banghead:

Is there some kind of mask glass shipping protection I am not aware of?

I have a new mares x-vision liquid skin that is still in the case - I am still wondering if I want to burn or toothpaste overnight or toothpaste while watching csi or good old automotive polishing compound.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom