Bad Image for Spearfishermen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walt:
It really is sad as there are a lot of conservation minded spearfishermen out there. I like to consider myself one. Unfortunately, we still have some among us that will continue to give others a bad name.

Comes across pretty cocky but if he is not breaking any game laws I don't have a problem with what he is doing, assuming he is not wasting the fish. What I have a problem with is the way he rubs it in your face. Reminds me of a deer hunter that rides his trophy on his tailgate all around town to show it off. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I like being a little more respectful towards the game I harvest and don't take it for the sake of just killing something.
It might be this guy is legit and just needs to tone it down a bit.

FWIW, where I am from the sand tiger sharks are like pet dogs and I would hate to see someone whack one. Sorta like shooting Lassie...

Hi James,

As to your question “if he is not breaking any game laws I don't have a problem with what he is doing, assuming he is not wasting the fish.”

If you go back and take a look at Mr. Knuckle Dragger’s website, you will see a picture of a 142-pound tarpon he shot.

In Florida, you need a purchase Tarpon Tag to kill a tarpon. Other than to show it off at the dock there is no reason to kill one. Taxidermist only need to the fish’s length and girth measurements to make a mount. And the fish itself is as edible (taste wise) as a bar of soap.

I am certain neither the sandtigers or the big garfish are any more viable as a dinner fare.

Furthermore NOAA’s National Marine Fisheries have sand tiger’s listed as a “species of concern.” Under current Conservation Actions, the “sand tiger shark is managed by the Highly Migratory Species Fishery Management Plan (FMP). Under this FMP, it has been illegal to land (both commercially and recreationally) this species or any parts (fins, meat, jaws, etc) on the Atlantic coast of the U.S. since 1997. Several states adopted similar regulations, though Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Connecticut have not.”

The 260-pound jewfish (goliath grouper) pictured on his site, last count, that fish is still a Federally protected species.

This guy gives all sportsman (including spearfisherman who truly respect game laws) a bad name.

Walt Stearns
Editor-in-Chief
Underwaterjournal

Be the sharks luck that this idiot messes with the wrong shark, get his just reward from said shark, and the media go on their antishark kick.

To think out of 10,000,000 sperm, he is the one that won.

. . .
This guy gives all sportsman (including spearfisherman who truly respect game laws) a bad name.

As a lifelong hunter, fisherman and diver, I could not agree with you more. I'm the polar opposite of any tree hugger and this guy The Rok Zone absolutely disgusts me. His tag line "Killin S**t Just For The Fun Of It" truly illustrates this cretin's mindset and values. The notion of killing for the fun of it is indefensible. The bad news is that this creature is breeding. Check out the little darling in the second to the last picture.

Imagine some debate in the halls of some state capitol somewhere and the proponents of legislation to ban spearfishing produce that web-site's images. What do you suppose the reaction would be? If a picture is worth a thousand words; it will take a million to sway anyone after they see what that prince and others like him are bragging about.

As for being legal; there's legal and there's the right thing to do. I've seen guys "legally" fill a cooler with Scup and Tog (Blackfish) only to throw them away once they got home because they didn't feel like cleaning them. Is that right?

The really sad part is that this guy is on one of the Gulf of Mexico Council's advisory panels (red snapper ad hoc panel).Therefore he is actually in a decision making capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom