A puffer fish bit off a diver's finger!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find the story as written a little hard to believe. The guy is wearing Kevlar gloves and he says there are no teeth marks on the glove. Now I know Kevlar is some pretty awesome stuff. They make bullet proof vests from it. So if the teeth could not penetrate the glove, how did he end up having his finger bitten off with what looks to be a clean and defined looking "bite" mark. I could see how a person could have his finger crushed in this type of situation if the fish had very powerful jaws, but bitten off? I would have had to been there and see it for myself to believe it.

BDSC

Well I guess he learned his lesson. A little harsh, but maybe we will see his next vidio sticking his arm in a lions cage.

I find the story as written a little hard to believe. The guy is wearing Kevlar gloves and he says there are no teeth marks on the glove. Now I know Kevlar is some pretty awesome stuff. They make bullet proof vests from it. So if the teeth could not penetrate the glove, how did he end up having his finger bitten off with what looks to be a clean and defined looking "bite" mark. I could see how a person could have his finger crushed in this type of situation if the fish had very powerful jaws, but bitten off? I would have had to been there and see it for myself to believe it.

BDSC

Thank you Dr. Quincy.:D

You're welcome.

I knew all the stuff I learn on the TV shows would come in handy some day.

BDSC :popcorn:

BDSC

Also, just to add to your post. Kevlar is no insulation against a sharp object such as sharp teeth. If you are stabbed with a knife while wearing kevlar, its more than likely going right through.

I would have an easier time believing it if the glove had holes in it. If it was kevlar lined with another material, then perhaps.

This story is true. Randy has also (since the attack puffer fish incident) fought off a shark that was trying to take a fish he had speared. There's a video out there somewhere; someone internet savvy could do a search and find it. He has also mounted a Goliath Grouper to remove a spear that was in him (the grouper), which is also videotapped.

This story is true. Randy has also (since the attack puffer fish incident) fought off a shark that was trying to take a fish he had speared. There's a video out there somewhere; someone internet savvy could do a search and find it. He has also mounted a Goliath Grouper to remove a spear that was in him (the grouper), which is also videotapped.

Wow...that "ding-dong" he's constantly hearing must be Charles Darwin, trying to have a long-overdue conversation with him....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom